PDA

View Full Version : Bernard Tomic- extremely overrated

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I called it during Wimbledon but got 15 posters saying I was crazy etc.

I know this is just 1 match but i DO NOT see how this kid will be a future GS-winner, some posters even said they think he will be world no 1.

He lacks passion. And his technique is a typical pusher one

zagor
09-01-2011, 01:31 PM
He's too young to be overrated or underrated, who knows how his game will develop in the future. Don't forget he played pretty good at Wimbledon this year.

Even legends of the game had some very lopsided losses at the age of 18.

NadalAgassi
09-01-2011, 01:36 PM
The up and coming group suck. They need to hype someone up. Unless we are to just concede Djokovic, Nadal, and Murray will win every slam until the end of 2016. After all Del Potro looks like he will be a flash in the pan; Cilic (despite his smackdown of Tomic today) and Gulbis dont look future slam winners at this point. Federer has likely won his final slam, and the likes of Berdych, Soderling, Fish, Monfils, will never win a slam. Raonic, Dmitrov, Harrison, Berankis, Nishikori dont look anymore promising than Tomic either.

Clarky21
09-01-2011, 01:38 PM
The up and coming group suck. They need to hype someone up. Unless we are to just concede Djokovic, Nadal, and Murray will win every slam until the end of 2016. After all Del Potro looks like he will be a flash in the pan; Cilic (despite his smackdown of Tomic today) and Gulbis dont look future slam winners at this point. Federer has likely won his final slam, and the likes of Berdych, Soderling, Fish, Monfils, will never win a slam. Raonic, Dmitrov, Harrison, Berankis, Nishikori dont look anymore promising than Tomic either.

No way. Delpo definitely will win more slams. He is too good not to,and looks to be the only challenger that Djokovic will have besides Murray.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Yes, we are probably very spoiled that we got to see the greatest ever, the greatest clay courter ever, and the son of God somewhat in the same "era".

The up and coming guys "suck" someone said, compared to Fed,Nad and Djokovic they do, the question is how todays up and comers would fare against other "up and comers" from different eras?

NadalAgassi
09-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Del Potro's comeback has sucked. How long do we even call it a comeback, LOL! He has been destroyed everytime he plays a semi good opponent, except for beating Soderling once. Even a crappy Roddick having his worst year ever smacked him silly when they met, the same Roddick who as a much stronger player Del Potro was beating back in late 08-2009.

Many players were never the same after wrist injury. His whole game was is really based on his groundstrokes and returns, although he has a big first serve. If he loses any ability to snap and accelerate into his shots, and cant get it back, he is going to be hard pressed to ever make it back to the top 5, let alone winning slams.

Not to mention his only title after 500 level, even at his very best, was that U.S Open title. He couldnt even win a Masters title, even at his best.

NadalAgassi
09-01-2011, 01:48 PM
The up and coming guys "suck" someone said, compared to Fed,Nad and Djokovic they do, the question is how todays up and comers would fare against other "up and comers" from different eras?

Well you are basically saying Tomic sucks, correct. Yet are any of the up and comers better than Tomic (unless you still call Cilic or Gulbis up and comers). Raonic is ranked considerably higher now, but he is 2 years older, long term I highly doubt he is any better. So that pretty much answers the question.

syc23
09-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Federer in his teenage years had all the talent in the world but was not immune to choking. Obviously after losing in the FO 1st round in 2003, that had all changed...

There is time for the next group of up and coming guys, they just have to develop physically and the mental fortitude to be in the position to make a run and challenge for slams and MS1000s.

GRANITECHIEF
09-01-2011, 02:12 PM

So who is going to win a slam, cant be the top 4 forever.

NadalAgassi
09-01-2011, 02:14 PM
So who is going to win a slam, cant be the top 4 forever.

That is my point to the OP. If people shouldnt hype Tomic, who should they hype. There is nobody else better coming up, so it is either hype Tomic and except him to be a future slam winner despite his moments of growing pain now, or concede the current top 3 (replacing Federer with Murray) to win every slam until atleast the end of 2016. One or the other.

jaggy
09-01-2011, 02:32 PM
I cant remember anyone I respect actually rating him all that highly to be honest

Fedex
09-01-2011, 02:51 PM

How can you say Del Potro is a flash in the pan and assume Murray will win slams?
Del Potro has won a slam. Murray hasn't.
You assume a lot.
And Del Potro is back on form.

accidental
09-01-2011, 03:06 PM
he's only 18 and is already ranked 60. His ranking will only improve after the US Open too. He's allowed to have bad matches imo

kishnabe
09-01-2011, 03:12 PM
You can't be overated to reach a Qtr of a slam in your career considering how tough it is!

Tomic has potential and maybe overhyped but I see him being someone inbetween the levels of Simon and Murray!

NadalAgassi
09-01-2011, 03:31 PM
How can you say Del Potro is a flash in the pan and assume Murray will win slams?
Del Potro has won a slam. Murray hasn't.
You assume a lot.
And Del Potro is back on form.

LOL if this is Del Potro back in form then that is a pretty bad sign for him, not a good one. He is a LONG way from playing at the level needed to win a slam right now.

Murray has won 7 Masters and keeps putting himself in position to win a slam. The only thing he needs to do to win one is to stop being a mental midget and choking in big finals/semis. Del Potro has 0 Masters titles even at his peak, is struggling to even return to the top 10 level tennis, and is 0-4 vs Murray on hard courts lifetime.

Yes it is safe to assume Murray has a much better chances to win a slam than Del Potro until DP shows some huge improvements in his current level (if he ever does), and I actually like Del Potro and have never liked Murray.

BeHappy
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
LOL if this is Del Potro back in form then that is a pretty bad sign for him, not a good one. He is a LONG way from playing at the level needed to win a slam right now.

Murray has won 7 Masters and keeps putting himself in position to win a slam. The only thing he needs to do to win one is to stop being a mental midget and choking in big finals/semis. Del Potro has 0 Masters titles even at his peak, is struggling to even return to the top 10 level tennis, and is 0-4 vs Murray on hard courts lifetime.

Yes it is safe to assume Murray has a much better chances to win a slam than Del Potro until DP shows some huge improvements in his current level (if he ever does), and I actually like Del Potro and have never liked Murray.

It took Murray about two years to fully get back to his old level after injuring his wrist against Volandri and spending the guts of a year on the sidelines. Del Potro has been out even longer than Murray was.

tennis_fan_182
09-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Every single person in the world playing tennis sucks apart from Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Delpo. Delpo, not flippin Andy Murray who is worse than the mens equivalent of Wozniacki - no weapons at all, no serve at all, no slam at all, just a blocking pushing motion over and over.

Clarky21
09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Every single person in the world playing tennis sucks apart from Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Delpo. Delpo, not flippin Andy Murray who is worse than the mens equivalent of Wozniacki - no weapons at all, no serve at all, no slam at all, just a blocking pushing motion over and over.

What is with your positively seething hate for Andy Murray? Did he steal your girlfriend or something once?

PSNELKE
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2011/09/02/tomic-humbled-by-red-hot-cilic

No craptalk from Tomic.
The fact, that Cilic steamrolled, no wait, annihilated a healthy Tomic just shows how useless he is when endless pushing doesnt work.
Cilic simply found a way to play against the slices and junkballs from Tomic.
As long as he doesnt give his shots some power heŽll come nowhere near the Top20.

Mustard
09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
In the late 1990s, Hewitt was my pick to be the next big tennis superstar. Now, my favourite pick of the up-and-coming generation is Dolgopolov. He has the potential to be a multiple major champion. Then again, so did Medvedev around 1992, and he ended his career without winning a major. I favour Dolgopolov over Raonic and Tomic.

MrFlip
09-01-2011, 04:25 PM
You are such a knee jerk OP

Caesar
09-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Meh. He's a kid. Inconsistent performances are to be expected. In the long run I think this will actually be good for Tomic - shows him that he can't just rock up to the Grand Slams and expect to play great tennis like he did at Wimbledon. Hopefully now he buckles down, plays some Challengers, focuses on stringing together wins in smaller tournaments and building consistency.

As for whether he's the real deal... let's take a reality check. The OP is disappointed because an 18 year old lost in the second round to a top 30 player in his first-ever USO main draw appearance.

Personally I'd say the problem right now is people's expectations, not Tomic's actual performances.

SLD76
09-01-2011, 05:01 PM
In the late 1990s, Hewitt was my pick to be the next big tennis superstar. Now, my favourite pick of the up-and-coming generation is Dolgopolov. He has the potential to be a multiple major champion. Then again, so did Medvedev around 1992, and he ended his career without winning a major. I favour Dolgopolov over Raonic and Tomic.

Brother, I am already on the Dolgo bandwagon. That fh is like a whipcrack!
However, I hope you arent comparing dolgo to hewitt( even though they look alike!)

Dolgo is rather more offensive minded even though he speed reminds me of a young hewitt/fed.
Needs to work out defense, and net game and serve, but I like his touch and finesee even now.

Caesar
09-01-2011, 05:13 PM
The problem is that Dolgopolov is already 22 and he doesn't seem to be getting any better. At the bigger tournaments it seems to be the same deal every time with him - win a couple of good matches, then get outclassed.

He does have a very unorthodox style. I kind of have a feeling he might be the next Tommy Haas or Richard Gasquet - one of those great players to watch who has the game to threaten anyone, but who never really gets it together to contend at the highest level.

PSNELKE
09-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Dolgopolov? Cmon the guy is not going close to Top10..
Just look at his match against Cipolla, he was lucky the guy choked big time.

SLD76
09-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Dolgopolov? Cmon the guy is not going close to Top10..
Just look at his match against Cipolla, he was lucky the guy choked big time.

yeah, but I also watched him destroy melzer earlier in the year.

he's young yet.

tennis_fan_182
09-01-2011, 05:25 PM

he's young yet.

He's, like, 21 already. On what planet is that young??

Clarky21
09-01-2011, 05:29 PM
He's, like, 21 already. On what planet is that young??

No he's not. He's only 18.

Caesar
09-01-2011, 05:31 PM
No he's not. He's only 18.
Dolgopolov turns 23 in a couple of months.

Clarky21
09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Dolgopolov turns 23 in a couple of months.

Oh,oops. I thought he was talking about Tomic.

PSNELKE
09-01-2011, 05:54 PM

he's young yet.

Beating Melzer is not a big deal.
And heŽs as young as Cilic, JMDP and Gulbis.
23 is not that young.

Cormorant
09-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Agassi def. Federer 6-1 6-2 6-4

Mustard
09-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Agassi def. Federer 6-1 6-2 6-4

R16 at the 2001 US Open.

BreakPoint
09-01-2011, 06:45 PM
http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2011/09/02/tomic-humbled-by-red-hot-cilic

No craptalk from Tomic.
The fact, that Cilic steamrolled, no wait, annihilated a healthy Tomic just shows how useless he is when endless pushing doesnt work.
Cilic simply found a way to play against the slices and junkballs from Tomic.
As long as he doesnt give his shots some power heŽll come nowhere near the Top20.
Huh? I heard Tomic has some virus that has infected many of the players at the USO?

15_ounce
09-02-2011, 02:34 AM
I would like to see you guys reach the QF of a slam. I could easily beat all of you. :)

all of us...? even Marin Cilic ?

forthegame
09-02-2011, 02:44 AM
^^^
You must be another banned poster, surely! :):twisted::)

batz
09-02-2011, 03:01 AM
It took Murray about two years to fully get back to his old level after injuring his wrist against Volandri and spending the guts of a year on the sidelines. Del Potro has been out even longer than Murray was.

Bollocks. Murray hurt his wrist in Spring 2007. He won his 3rd title in October 2007.

batz
09-02-2011, 03:04 AM

I've clearly fallen into a parallel universe overnight - one where NadalAgassi defends Murray's honour and Fedex talks him down :)

yemenmocha
09-02-2011, 04:28 AM
Tomic is pathetic, and got put in his place by Cilic. Pusher.

Fedex
09-02-2011, 07:15 AM
I've clearly fallen into a parallel universe overnight - one where NadalAgassi defends Murray's honour and Fedex talks him down :)

Ha ha. Young's double slit experiment strikes again.
I support Murray but always try to be objective and realistic about his chances.
NadalAgassi I don't think is being realistic saying that he will be one of the pack dominating slams in the future.
People are starting to assume again that he will win slams and he's not even got one yet!
Murray definitely has the ability and consistency to win them but that doesn't necessarily mean he will.
I think he needs an element of luck in addition to talent to get that first, and maybe he's just not a lucky guy.

jerriy
09-02-2011, 07:23 AM
I called it during Wimbledon but got 15 posters saying I was crazy etc.AMEN AMEN AMEN! That's exactly how I felt all this time.

Tomboy got a lucky break when Sod got injured (but didn't withdrew) and since then credit to the kid he "rode the wave" of that unexpected break that was handed to him but ultimately the guy is nothin to hype about. He's just a top 100 player, nothing more.

Thanks to Cilic it's vindication time :)

http://michaeljacksonanimatedgifs.com/images/portfolio/mj27.gif

jerriy
09-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Del Potro's comeback has sucked. How long do we even call it a comeback, LOL! He has been destroyed everytime he plays a semi good opponent, except for beating Soderling once. Even a crappy Roddick having his worst year ever smacked him silly when they met, the same Roddick who as a much stronger player Del Potro was beating back in late 08-2009.

Many players were never the same after wrist injury. His whole game was is really based on his groundstrokes and returns, although he has a big first serve. If he loses any ability to snap and accelerate into his shots, and cant get it back, he is going to be hard pressed to ever make it back to the top 5, let alone winning slams.

Not to mention his only title after 500 level, even at his very best, was that U.S Open title. He couldnt even win a Masters title, even at his best.

What? LMAO

You've got Delpo issues man.

A year ago people were saying that Delpo's professional career might be finished. In light of that he's gone far already. I think you foolishly expected some kind of continuous climb up the rankings (forgetting that the ranking is logarithmic and not linear in it's degree of difficulty).

Now it seems like he's merely "never the same again". Well. Maybe, maybe not. But it's a contradiction to say that on one hand "he's never the same after injury" and then turn around and say "how long do we call it a comeback". Obviously if he'll be never the same again then ther is effectively no end to the time period that you can describe as being "come back period". You basically answered your own lame question.

But even so, the post injury Potro still has a greater chance of winning another slam than your dearly beloved Mugray. Put that in your hata pipe and smoke it

Otherside
09-02-2011, 07:45 AM
I saw Tomic VS Mayer live in Brissy this year, those two put in quite a show with very unconventional tennis, was impressed with Tomics physical ability and muture game, however there is some jinx in his forehand which shows when under pressure on that wing.

stringertom
09-02-2011, 09:06 AM
40+ posts in this thread and not one reference to the AO'10 epic late-night 5-set nailbiter Cilic pulled out vs 17-year-old Tomic? Cmon guys...he had a horrid day yesterday and hopefully learns from it. After the aforementioned match, Cilic was quoted that "Tomic will be a tough player to beat (in the future)." I respect his opinion.

NamRanger
09-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Bollocks. Murray hurt his wrist in Spring 2007. He won his 3rd title in October 2007.

Yeah but he was still WILDLY inconsistent after his injury for quite sometime until about 2008 or so.

CDestroyer
09-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Tomic is pathetic, and got put in his place by Cilic. Pusher.

Yes he is a panzy *** pusher. He thinks he is good but he sucks.

West Coast Ace
09-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I'll vote with the Too Soon To Tell squad. He seems more mature than he was a yr or two ago - not that that's saying much. Impossible to gauge how badly he wants it. Will he be content to make the top 30 and enjoy The Life?

BeHappy
09-02-2011, 09:50 AM

it was about 2 years before he hit his forehand like this again (this is the match he injured himself in):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJ8izO05_c

He had to go into complete pusher mode on that shot for a very long time. Of course he could carry that weak forehand and still be relatively successful on tour because he's so fast, but a complete recovery didn't come for a very long time.

Like Agassi and Murray, Del Potro will eventually come back from his serious wrist injury, but it will take time.