PDA

View Full Version : Andy wants tennis to legalize tantrums

15_ounce
09-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Seriously, I think he's gone too far. Tennis is supposed to be a gentleman's game. Now he wants to turn it into a riot? I'd rather watch him playing a great game of tennis than watch him ranting and cursing the umpires. If you're allowed freely to bash and throw your racquets, hit the ball hard to the crowd, etc etc etc, somebody will get hurt.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=14016&zoneid=25

Roddick: Tennis should be more like wrestling
Ticker - Thursday, September 1, 2011

Andy Roddick says that tennis needs to loosen its Code of Conduct rules in order to gain more popularity. Roddick threw his racket and nailed a ball into the stands in Cincinnati during the third set of his 6-7 (5), 7-5, 6-1 loss to Philipp Kohlschreiber.

“There’s a reason that Monday Night Raw gets better ratings than we do," Roddick said at the U.S. Open. “[Tennis] is the only thing I know where you can break your own stuff and get penalized for it. If you're hurting someone, or someone is in harm's way, you know, I think if you took a poll of who would want to see someone go mental and hit something into the stands or something, I mean, people would probably vote for that. Let's put it this way: [John] McEnroe is still getting endorsements and he's 87 years old, so...I mean, what does that tell you? Love it or hate it, but watch it."

Roddick believes that he should be held to task if he verbally abuses an official, but does not think that players should be corralled if they are only involved in self-flagellation. In 2008 at the tournament in Miami, Mikhail Youhzny smashed his racket on his head three times until blood ran off his his forehand down past his nose. Roddick thought it added value to the sport and said that the player who is not melting down loses an advantage if an official steps in.

“How good was that?,” he said of the Miami incident. "Youzhny has never been so famous. Like Pacquiao, millions of [You Tube] hits. [B]Listen, I have no issue if the umpire wants to punch himself in the head. I might encourage it. I mean, the guy hit himself in the head. What are you going to do? Give him a warning? If anything, it's a disadvantage to your opponent if the umpire plays a part in you keeping composed. He should let you fall off the wagon. If I see some guy going mental, the umpire is like, No, no, no, warning. I'm like, No, let him go. Let him fall all the way off."

===========================================
for someone who's playing so defensively, he's one very violent guy.

Bud
09-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Roddick's a complete butthole

TopFH
09-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm digging this proposal.

r2473
09-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I'd favor making it legal to punch Roddick in the mouth on changovers. It would add some excitment for the fans.

Can't think of a name
09-01-2011, 08:29 PM
like roddick or not..he has a point. Tennis needs to get off its high horse and deviate from tradition if it wants to gain social acceptance in the present age

FedExpress 333
09-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Arghh, i am confused.

On one hand, in america, Roddick is probably right about this. It would help the sport gain popularity. but it still seems wrong to my tennis ethics...

FD3S
09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Hey, let's bold some other parts of the article...

Roddick: Tennis should be more like wrestling
Ticker - Thursday, September 1, 2011

Andy Roddick says that tennis needs to loosen its Code of Conduct rules in order to gain more popularity. Roddick threw his racket and nailed a ball into the stands in Cincinnati during the third set of his 6-7 (5), 7-5, 6-1 loss to Philipp Kohlschreiber.

“There’s a reason that Monday Night Raw gets better ratings than we do," Roddick said at the U.S. Open. “[Tennis] is the only thing I know where you can break your own stuff and get penalized for it. If you're hurting someone, or someone is in harm's way, you know, I think if you took a poll of who would want to see someone go mental and hit something into the stands or something, I mean, people would probably vote for that. Let's put it this way: [John] McEnroe is still getting endorsements and he's 87 years old, so...I mean, what does that tell you? Love it or hate it, but watch it."

Roddick believes that he should be held to task if he verbally abuses an official, but does not think that players should be corralled if they are only involved in self-flagellation. In 2008 at the tournament in Miami, Mikhail Youhzny smashed his racket on his head three times until blood ran off his his forehand down past his nose. Roddick thought it added value to the sport and said that the player who is not melting down loses an advantage if an official steps in.

“How good was that?,” he said of the Miami incident. "Youzhny has never been so famous. Like Pacquiao, millions of [You Tube] hits. Listen, I have no issue if the umpire wants to punch himself in the head. I might encourage it. I mean, the guy hit himself in the head. What are you going to do? Give him a warning? [B]If anything, it's a disadvantage to your opponent if the umpire plays a part in you keeping composed. He should let you fall off the wagon. If I see some guy going mental, the umpire is like, No, no, no, warning. I'm like, No, let him go. Let him fall all the way off."

I'm all for this. Some dude (Roddick, Harrison) plays bad and starts imploding? Let him implode without intercession.

Ripster
09-01-2011, 08:50 PM
I'd favor making it legal to punch Roddick in the mouth on changovers. It would add some excitment for the fans.

:) Good one.

mathieu
09-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm all for this. Some dude (Roddick, Harrison) plays bad and starts imploding? Let him implode without intercession.

And set a bad example for the millions of kids watching? There's a reason society does not tolerate bad behavior. Why not just let tennis players smoke a joint on the court? Why not let them flip off the opponent or make other obscene gestures?

I really thought roddick would finally grow up after marrying, but apparently not. Then again, his wife's a complete airhead who doesn't understand the negative consequences of unruly behavior.

FD3S
09-01-2011, 09:10 PM
And set a bad example for the millions of kids watching? There's a reason society does not tolerate bad behavior. Why not just let tennis players smoke a joint on the court? Why not let them flip off the opponent or make other obscene gestures?

I really thought roddick would finally grow up after marrying, but apparently not. Then again, his wife's a complete airhead who doesn't understand the negative consequences of unruly behavior.

... okay, first off? Comparing a self-directed tantrum to smoking marijuana on court is bloody ridiculous. Second, I'm pretty sure that if anyone did make an explicit, obscene gesture to the opponent they would get nailed for it, Davis Cup being the exception because it's Davis Cup and it has the potential to drive everyone present barring the umpires just a little crazy.

Seriously, if a player is going to fall apart on court, let them. Hell, if anything the kids should be watching - it'll show them what a lack of composure and emotional control will do to your game, and it'll show them really fast how much of a jerk it makes you look like when you explode. I can't think of a player besides Mac whose tantrums have helped them, and even Mac only got a ton of love much later on. Roddick's fits are disgusting to watch (and I say this as a fan of his) but in the end he's only hurting himself and I don't have a problem with the rules reflecting that.

TenFanLA
09-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Andy, the reason McEnroe still gets endorsements at age "87" is because he won 6 more majors than you and Harrison combined. The American public is not watching tennis not because there is no fighting, spitting, swearing, throwing or kicking. They don't tune in because you guys aren't winning. I don't recall the lack of viewership when Sampras and Agassi were winning majors left and right. I don't how it was possible but they did it without throwing their rackets, kicking balls and bullying middle-aged female officials.

Viper
09-01-2011, 09:20 PM
While I'm not nearly as harsh on Roddick as others, because ALL tennis players throw fits and act like babies, but this board hates Roddick because a) He's American and b) We can actually understand him. But...

It's a really bad idea. Tennis has too much tradition, and too much class to allow anything comparable to wrestling.

However, I don't think players should be punished for racket abuse, as long as it's not excessive. Balls in the crowd, yelling, etc etc should not be allow though.

BaboFan
09-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Wow... I like Roddick's humor

HiroProtagonist
09-01-2011, 10:57 PM
... okay, first off? Comparing a self-directed tantrum to smoking marijuana on court is bloody ridiculous. Second, I'm pretty sure that if anyone did make an explicit, obscene gesture to the opponent they would get nailed for it, Davis Cup being the exception because it's Davis Cup and it has the potential to drive everyone present barring the umpires just a little crazy.

Seriously, if a player is going to fall apart on court, let them. Hell, if anything the kids should be watching - it'll show them what a lack of composure and emotional control will do to your game, and it'll show them really fast how much of a jerk it makes you look like when you explode. I can't think of a player besides Mac whose tantrums have helped them, and even Mac only got a ton of love much later on. Roddick's fits are disgusting to watch (and I say this as a fan of his) but in the end he's only hurting himself and I don't have a problem with the rules reflecting that.

Yes, cause kids are known for their reasoning skills and ability to be objective and not easily influenced by their sporting role models:roll:

While I'm not nearly as harsh on Roddick as others, because ALL tennis players throw fits and act like babies, but this board hates Roddick because a) He's American and b) We can actually understand him. But...

It's a really bad idea. Tennis has too much tradition, and too much class to allow anything comparable to wrestling.

However, I don't think players should be punished for racket abuse, as long as it's not excessive. Balls in the crowd, yelling, etc etc should not be allow though.

You're about as defensive and tactful as Roddick :neutral:

No one gives a flying **** that he's American, but I think perhaps American tennis fans should care since he is representing them on an international level and does not do them any favors.

kchau
09-01-2011, 11:24 PM
i'll allow roddick's tantrums, if sharapova's shrieks are banned.

Ben Hadd
09-02-2011, 02:09 AM
I was never under the assumption that tennis needed to be in a popularity contest. Temper tantrums take away from the game. It's a gentlemans (and ladies) sport, and anyone who wants to act so common certainly deserves a penalty. Let's keep tennis like it is, unless we want to be playing against beer belly'd guys with mustard on their shirt, or BigMike.

Sentinel
09-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Totally agree, even that Serena incident "really added value to the sport".

LuvTheGame
09-06-2011, 06:02 AM

LMAO

Guess the time has come and gone for him to learn the meaning of sportsmanship and control. I think he is having a negative influence on some of the young players, i.e. Ryan Harrison. Tantrums are unbecoming in someone calling himself a pro!

LuvTheGame
09-06-2011, 06:05 AM
Yes, cause kids are known for their reasoning skills and ability to be objective and not easily influenced by their sporting role models:roll:

You're about as defensive and tactful as Roddick :neutral:

No one gives a flying **** that he's American, but I think perhaps American tennis fans should care since he is representing them on an international level and does not do them any favors.

International players let their play do the talking. In that case, guess we can expect the lad Roddick's antics only escalate!

After the way he played in the Davis Cup when we lost against Spain, one would think he'd develop some humility!

tennis_pro
09-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Andy Murray should stop being a big baby if he wants to win a slam. Btw it's nonse...

ah, Andy Roddick? Then yea, that's a good idea!

Cindysphinx
09-06-2011, 06:19 AM
No, no, no. Roddick has it exactly backward.

If you allow ranting and cursing and ball abuse and racket abuse without penalty, players will do it all the time. It will be common, and it will never make the sports highlight reel.

The Serena incident made headlines because it was so unusual. If players start doing that all the time, it would be tired and dull.

I would make one change, though. I would allow racket abuse and ball abuse as much as a player wants. First occurrence is a fine -- 10% of the player's winnings for the tournament. Second occurrence -- additional 40% of the player's winnings. Third occurrence -- remaining 50% of the player's winnings. Fourth occurrence -- default.

All proceeds go to a charitable fund to buy equipment and coaching for disadvantaged children.

jmverdugo
09-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Legalize it! ;)

pvaudio
09-06-2011, 06:27 AM
And yet, he is a professional. The best of the best. The highest tier in the sport. So explain what part of this makes it okay for him to show already outrageous teenage juniors that it's okay to swear and yell and throw racquets into trees and hit balls onto the football field when they're angry? I think that many of you who are too far removed from junior tennis don't realize how poor boys' attitudes are now. They all carry this sense of fake swagger and entitlement that only for the best of them, remains even after they lose. Roddick is the master of this mentality.

Power Player
09-06-2011, 06:48 AM
It sounds cool, but if it becomes the norm it will be annoying. Kind of like in football, where guys look for a pass interference flag after every pass play.

What makes meltdowns so fun is that the sport is so classy that the meltdown completely clashes against it. If everyone was melting down all the time, it would be the norm and then become annoying.

willshot
09-06-2011, 06:51 AM
i agree with the proposal! that would be awesome

CCNM
09-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Andy R-How old are you???? Even Agassi gave up the rebeliousness as his career progressed. I think we need more Gael Monfils', J.W. Tsongas, A. Petkovics, and Djokovics-guys and girls who are not afraid to put on a show and laugh at themselves.

LanceStern
09-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Nope, we don't need it.

The only thing from WWE that they could take is maybe some loaded press conferences that actually promote a rivalry to hype matches.

Keep the tempers, ball hitting, racket breaking etc out of the sport

Lsmkenpo
09-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Imagine if someone did this to Nadal, nowadays. This is what the sport needs to be popular, get rid of the wimps. Roddick is right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYUtb4GUHE

DjokovicForTheWin
09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm ambivalent about it. On the one hand I can see Roddick's point. On the other he's totally immature. But he's got Brooklyn Decker, he wins.

magnut
09-06-2011, 02:36 PM
At first I was against this but now I am not so sure. It would be fun to watch these idiots makes *****es out of themselves all the time. It would also eliminate the bias that goes on reguarding giving warnings etc.

heftylefty
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
When it comes to picking an off-the-chart hot spouse, I will defer to Andy.

On the direction of tennis...not so much.

Miso
09-06-2011, 02:41 PM
He needs to stop acting like a baby. That is all he needs to do.

If a nfl player throws his helmet or takes it off on the field, it's a penalty.

NBA player throw tantrums, it's a Tech.

Roddick needs to stop being a baby. Throw your tantrum but don't act like you have no idea what you did wrong when your punished.

magnut
09-06-2011, 02:47 PM
They should institute an on court quiet room and when players have tantrums the chair umpire puts them in timeout for 5 minutes.

FEDEXP
09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Roddick's emotional IQ is way down there.

recreationalplayer
09-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I have tried to like Andy Roddick but no one has ever accused him of being intellectually gifted. He is trying to make a ridiculous analogy between tennis and an entertainment program (Monday Night Raw) that may have a predetermined outcome, is at least loosely scripted and encourages bloodletting as part of its theatrics.

And as with the McEnroe comment, John McEnroe is an example of a brainy athlete, Roddick would have done better not to have dropped that name.

Raphael
09-06-2011, 03:14 PM

The ATP could run a contest, with the winners having the chance to punch him in the face during changeovers! :)

sundaypunch
09-06-2011, 04:16 PM
i'll allow roddick's tantrums, if sharapova's shrieks are banned.

I'm sure you are joking, but it does highlight the irony. You are given a penalty if you smash your racquet on the ground, yet the women are allowed to scream at the top of their lungs every time they hit the ball.

Banger
09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I dont really approve of Roddicks behavior but what he is saying is correct. We need more hot tempered top players to bring in the viewers. We need more players calling out other players and talking smack and more televised press conferences like in other sports. That video just posted up of jmac and conners, if that scenario happened today it would be all over sportcenter and have 20 million views on youtube. I remember the incident between nadal and soderling where sod was mocking nadals but picking and the incident with nadal and berdych(davis cup?) where they were getting heated with each other. Sorry that is entertaining stuff and tennis needs more of it. My brother and I just saw Haas play his first round match and we were rooting for him to start throwing a tantum and smash his raquet lol. Most of these players are emotional robots (with the exception of maybe joker and roddick, haas) and there needs to be a change to bring in the viewers.

magnut
09-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I dont really approve of Roddicks behavior but what he is saying is correct. We need more hot tempered top players to bring in the viewers. We need more players calling out other players and talking smack and more televised press conferences like in other sports. That video just posted up of jmac and conners, if that scenario happened today it would be all over sportcenter and have 20 million views on youtube. I remember the incident between nadal and soderling where sod was mocking nadals but picking and the incident with nadal and berdych(davis cup?) where they were getting heated with each other. Sorry that is entertaining stuff and tennis needs more of it. My brother and I just saw Haas play his first round match and we were rooting for him to start throwing a tantum and smash his raquet lol. Most of these players are emotional robots (with the exception of maybe joker and roddick, haas) and there needs to be a change to bring in the viewers.

Yup. I think your pretty much right. With all the behavior managment media coaches its getting to a point where players need to be allowed to be themselves again. Sure it may have some negative effects but overall the game would be better off as you would let players be themselves and more genuine to the sport and its fans.

I wont even go into Joker that much. I believe he is mocking the insanity of the sport with his antics. Any of you guys ever see Slapshot? (hockey movie with Paul Newman). Even his name ....JOKE- a vich is a slap in the face. Like the whole tour has become a big joke. I mean...... He dances jigs on center court to music after he wins. Like some sort of wanna-be chip in dales dancer. Djokavich is not stupid. He comes from a war torn country such as Serbia. He is mocking the whole ATP/USTA thing. Does anyone see the irony in Djokavich being a fan Favorite while being a Serb?

Devilito
09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Imagine if someone did this to Nadal, nowadays. This is what the sport needs to be popular, get rid of the wimps. Roddick is right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYUtb4GUHE

hear, hear