PDA

View Full Version : Playing wood racquet caused Bryan Brothers first round exit at US Open?

raguhtheman
09-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Last sunday night, I was watching live exhibition match played in NY with newer players playing with wood racquet and older ones with the new racqets. Sampras played with wood Vs Lendl.

When I saw Bryan brothers playing with Wood racquets Vs Jensen bothers, I was thinking in my head: "They can't be serious, Why are they doing this? Tomorrow they need to play US Open. Won't playing with tiny, heavy wood racquets throw their game off when they play with their regular racquet tomorrow?"

Sure enough, I read news they were ousted first round.

Why do players at the top do these kind of mistakes when Grand Slam title it at stake?

VGP
09-02-2011, 08:14 AM
It may have contributed....

.....their dad was vehemently against them playing the 'Old School Challenge' using wood. He must have given them a big "I told you so."

WARPWOODIE
09-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm a collector of wood racquets and it was weard how the Bryans decided to use a not so well know wood stick, it looked like something that you could get at Sears back in the 50's or 60's. One of the Bryan's stick actually was heard to crack...even McEnroe noticed it, but he kept playing with. Later in the match did one of the Bryans get a hold of a Dunlop Maxply Forts (McEnroe's stick in the 70's/80's) to finish off the match. Funny how they commented in winning their match using wood that had termites in it...that was funny!

Andres
09-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Using a woodie for one hour throwing their game of playing 20,000 hours with graphite?

No.

raguhtheman
09-02-2011, 08:31 AM

.....their dad was vehemently against them playing the 'Old School Challenge' using wood. He must have given them a big "I told you so."

Probably, these kind of moves attributed to over-confidence / cockiness ??

OR

it could be, the sponsors (directv I guess) paid them more than USO prize money :)

West Coast Ace
09-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Or did they just get a bad draw and get two really tall guys (Moser is 6'4") who were serving out of there minds?

No story here, move along.

raguhtheman
09-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Using a woodie for one hour throwing their game of playing 20,000 hours with graphite?

No.

I am guessing, they just didn't show up there wielding wood racquets for one hour. Most likely, they might have practiced with them for sometime.

At pro-level, the difference between you and your opponent is not wide/far off. These kind of minor shot timing issues with your body (when you switch racquets) could be enough to under perform against strong opponents, IMO.

raguhtheman
09-02-2011, 08:45 AM

oh... I didn't catch that their dad was against them playing with wood.... he was up to something..... Listen to the wise man, Bryan brothers !!!

woodrow1029
09-02-2011, 08:47 AM

No.

^^^^This!

10char

sureshs
09-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Wayne Bryan was against them playing - but that was probably due to fear of injury.

sureshs
09-02-2011, 09:14 AM
That is why the Woodies may be the best doubles team of all time, not the Bryans

matchpoint
09-02-2011, 01:53 PM
That is why the Woodies may be the best doubles team of all time, not the Bryans

The Woodies did not use wood rackets.

sureshs
09-02-2011, 04:04 PM
How is Breakpoint staying away from a wood racquet thread?