PDA

View Full Version : If Djokovic had not beaten Rafa five times, would the talk be the same?

LuvTheGame
09-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Would the pundits and everyone else consider his winning record to be so outstanding? Don't get me wrong, what he has accomplished is remarkable! I just wonder if the talk would be at the same level of amazement.:confused:

Ico
09-02-2011, 10:29 AM
The talk of Nadal's decline would be even worse since it'd mean he'd never made those finals.

Clarky21
09-02-2011, 10:30 AM
It probably would be as these people cannot wait to jump on the next bandwagon. Having said that though,I do not think beating a declining,burned out Nadal is that big of a deal. Nadal is not the same player he once was,and beating him just doesn't carry the same clout as it used to. He has lost to,or came close to losing to several players this year that he would have mopped up without trouble in the past. I can only imagine how bad it's going to be next year for him. Hopefully,he retires soon to save his legacy.

cknobman
09-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Actually the talk would be different if Novak had not lost to "old man" Fed in the French Semis.

Add in the fact that Nadal is declining, burned out and Novak gets very little praise for his record.

Everyone else on tour are just chumps (including Murray).

DjokovicForTheWin
09-02-2011, 12:30 PM
No the talk would not have been anywhere close to what it has since Djoker is beating what was the best in the game consistently.

billnepill
09-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Djokovic made Nadal look & feel declining (at 25). If it wasn't for Djokovic Nadal would be vamosing and fist pumping his way through his best year. He would have 11 slams and on target of becoming GOAT.

Now that is taken away by a clearly better player than him. No wonder he is demotivated; The question is can he change to deal with this challenge.

TMF
09-02-2011, 04:48 PM
If Nole didn't play at all this year, the Nadal lovers wouldn't say Nadal(25) is in decline. One could argue it's one of his best year.

B/c of his inablility to beat Nole, they potray Nadal as an broken down old man, forget how to hit his bh, no plan B, uncle Toni is useless, blah blah blah. There's no credit given to Nole, and he was lucky this year since Nadal(25) is OLD.

Outbeyond
09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Djoker's fans are simply thrilled Nadal hasn't taken three slams in a row like he did last year.:twisted: They act like Djoker's taken them all this year. Not quite!

They want their man to at least win three slams in 2011 since he can't possibly win three in a row (much less get a Career Grand Slam) and match Nadal's feat. So we'll endure their enthusiasm...:)

SLD76
09-02-2011, 05:31 PM
if not for Djoker, Nadal would have won 7 titles in the row going into Wimbledon, and 8 out of 9 in a row, including Wimbledom.

We would be comparing Nadal's year to Federer's 05/06. And there would be no talk of a Nadal decline.

Outbeyond
09-02-2011, 05:38 PM
if not for Djoker, Nadal would have won 7 titles in the row going into Wimbledon, and 8 out of 9 in a row, including Wimbledom.

We would be comparing Nadal's year to Federer's 05/06. And there would be no talk of a Nadal decline.

Anyone could say "if not for Djoker..." or "if not for Fed..." or "if not for Nadal..."

Here's the truth: Djoker won two slams this year. Nadal won three in a row last year and then won another one this year. There's one more in 2011 that's up for grabs.

Pure fact.

SLD76
09-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Anyone could say "if not for Djoker..." or "if not for Fed..." or "if not for Nadal..."

Here's the truth: Djoker won two slams this year. Nadal won three in a row last year and then won another one this year. There's one more in 2011 that's up for grabs.

Pure fact.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

but the premise of the thread is "if not for djoker" so...

WTF are you talking about????

My response is based on the premise of the OP.

If not for djoker, we'd be talking about how dominant rafa has been , moreso than last year.

In reality, Djoker did beat him 5 straight times on 3 surfaces, and now rafa seems somewhat mentally broken.

but reality is not what the OP mentioned in his post.

Clarky21
09-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Djoker's fans are simply thrilled Nadal hasn't taken three slams in a row like he did last year.:twisted: They act like Djoker's taken them all this year. Not quite!

They want their man to at least win three slams in 2011 since he can't possibly win three in a row (much less get a Career Grand Slam) and match Nadal's feat. So we'll endure their enthusiasm...:)

He will get the career slam next year when he wins RG. Are you really willing to bet that he won't?

HiroProtagonist
09-02-2011, 06:20 PM
If the OP didn't exist would someone else have posted this thread?

Outbeyond
09-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

but the premise of the thread is "if not for djoker" so...

WTF are you talking about????

My response is based on the premise of the OP.

If not for djoker, we'd be talking about how dominant rafa has been , moreso than last year.

In reality, Djoker did beat him 5 straight times on 3 surfaces, and now rafa seems somewhat mentally broken.

but reality is not what the OP mentioned in his post.

I see your point.:)

Outbeyond
09-02-2011, 09:03 PM
He will get the career slam next year when he wins RG. Are you really willing to bet that he won't?

Oh, Clarky, the point is he doesn't have it now and Nadal does. He hasn't won three in a row and Nadal has.

Many folks, even our favorite aging Fed, could win RG next year. The future is anyone's. True achievements are what is now. Djoker has his share of them, for sure. But right now, he doesn't have nearly as much as Rafa.

Clarky21
09-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Oh, Clarky, the point is he doesn't have it now and Nadal does. He hasn't won three in a row and Nadal has.

Many folks, even our favorite aging Fed, could win RG next year. The future is anyone's. True achievements are what is now. Djoker has his share of them, for sure. But right now, he doesn't have nearly as much as Rafa.

He will next year. And possibly win all 4.

BeHappy
09-02-2011, 09:27 PM

God I hope Djokovic doesn't win the Grand Slam. He really doesn't deserve it.

veroniquem
09-02-2011, 09:33 PM
It's the story of the half full or half empty glass. On the one hand Rafa made 8 finals: 4 masters and 2 slams and he's won a slam and a master title for the 7th consecutive year. That's amazing.
On the other hand, he lost 5 finals to the same guy on all surfaces including on his best one (in straights) and he's lost his # 1 ranking to same guy. That's a clear loss of domination and that is not so amazing.

TopFH
09-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Why doesn't he deserve it? Then maybe Nadal doesn't deserve it because he had a joke draw at the USO last year. Or maybe Fed, Laver or Agassi don't deserve it either.

cknobman
09-03-2011, 06:52 AM

Anyone who wins a grand slam deserves it.

Tennis_Monk
09-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Totally agree. If they win (regardless of circumstances) , they deserve it (period)

Cake walk draw + players with drawal + surface + schedule + etc are all noise and really not something 100% in players control.

So if Djoker wins all the slams, he deserves it.

cc0509
09-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Would the pundits and everyone else consider his winning record to be so outstanding? Don't get me wrong, what he has accomplished is remarkable! I just wonder if the talk would be at the same level of amazement.:confused:

Of course not. Winning tournaments and in particular slams is all that matters. The fact that Djokovic was able to defeat Nadal 5 times on different surfaces picking up the winning trophies and the world number one in the process is what counts. People don't care about runners-up in tennis, they just care about who wins.

cc0509
09-03-2011, 07:12 AM

Agree 100%. This nonsense about people trying to pick apart a player's slam wins is just bizarre. Nobody cares about the circumstances; a win is a win.

celoft
09-03-2011, 10:19 AM

Nole winning the CYGS next year? Nah. Sh.t will happen somewhere like it happened at RG this year. Something always happens to stop a player(male) from winning the CYGS ever since slams are played on HC, clay and grass.