PDA

View Full Version : Wta What the...???

totaleclipseoftheheart
09-02-2011, 10:26 AM
What the heck happened to WTA for the past 10 years??? It's so boring and one dimentional - not to mention low quality. If WTA were an ice cream parlor they would only have one flavor. These women (top ranked players included) make tennis look like a robotic muscular disgraceful sport. Gone are serve and volley (Navratilova, Sukova, Novotna), one-handed backhand (Sabatini, Henin, Mauresmo), slice backhand (Graf, Novotna), finesse (Evert, Sabatini, Navratilova, Sanchez), topspin (Martinez, Sabatini, Sanchez, Henin), all-court game(Sabatini,Novotna, Mandlikova, Henin, Mauresmo), grace (Graf, Evert, Navratilova, Mandlikova) and artistry (Sabatini, Graf, Navratilova, Evert, Madlikova, Novotna, Martinez, Henin, Mauresmo, Sanchez). Come on girls, tennis is more than just two-handed backhand and hard-hitting groundstroke.

I believe people still make time to watch because (luckily) WTA still has 2 players that are good and worth watching (Serena, Venus) and one who's commercially pretty (Sharapova). I'm telling you, when these girls retire WTA will suffer tremendously.

Compare that to ATP where you see different flavors (Young vs. Wawrinka, Golubev vs. Nadal, Federer vs. Sela, Blake vs. Hutagalung, etc.)

MichaelNadal
09-02-2011, 10:39 AM
When the Williams go, that's it for me ever watching the WTA.

celoft
09-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Pretty much.

Ico
09-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't think "10 years" is appropriate. The WTA was pretty interesting up to 2007.

Tanya
09-02-2011, 01:15 PM
2007 was the WTA's last good year, yes. The current pros are looking a little grim right now but I have had my eye on a couple of junior players that have good games (by good I mean are more than just ball-bashers) which give me some hope for the future. But until then... once Serena and Clijsters are gone... I almost can't (and don't want to) imagine what will come of the WTA...

Gizo
09-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Overall 1999-2007 was a golden age for women's tennis, with good quality tennis and intriguing rivalries.

jmverdugo
09-02-2011, 01:27 PM
I do not think is that bad and i actually enjoy watching WTA matches, maybe not Sharapova's but in general is really impressive, maybe not so much variety but still good quality tennis.

TERRASTAR18
09-02-2011, 01:37 PM
get rid of the roadmap,invest in youth tennis in america and women's tennis will be fixed.

totaleclipseoftheheart
09-02-2011, 01:47 PM
2007 was the WTA's last good year, yes. The current pros are looking a little grim right now but I have had my eye on a couple of junior players that have good games (by good I mean are more than just ball-bashers) which give me some hope for the future. But until then... once Serena and Clijsters are gone... I almost can't (and don't want to) imagine what will come of the WTA...

omygoodness, unless Wozniacki has a baby with Donald Trump or Schiavone decides to not shave her armpit or Shuai Peng all of sudden makes controversial remarks on Obama WTA will be completely fan-less...