PDA

View Full Version : Wawrinka, if you can't beat Young, just quit tennis.

hcb0804
09-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Stanley, just give it up Dude.

Ambivalent
09-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Young played patiently and well. Stan didn't play his best but he certainly didn't play his worst.

chrischris
09-02-2011, 01:38 PM
The OP should give it up :)

Povl Carstensen
09-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Just give it up Dude

Borrelli
09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Stan made a lot of unforced errors. Can't believe Young can beat anyone with a 102 mph first serve :confused:

Cup8489
09-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Stan made a lot of unforced errors. Can't believe Young can beat anyone with a 102 mph first serve :confused:

He beat Melzer and Bagdhatis... he can play, and he seems to be developing mental strength, finally. and improved fitness.

jerriy
09-02-2011, 02:07 PM
LMAO

And to think that some ijits thought Donald Young didn't deserve a wildcard.

Never before has a wild card been so aptly put to use in 2011.

Manus Domini
09-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I just want to say, I called this :)

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh439/Dartship/Iwasright.jpg

jmverdugo
09-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Young played really good, no hesitation, hitting when he had to and topsping it back when he needed to. Very good, deserved win.

Raindogs
09-02-2011, 02:55 PM

If you are not lying to us then that really is pretty impressive.
You may be the only one to have that section of the bracket correct.

sureshs
09-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Beating Minimo Gonzalez is one thing, beating Young is another.

PMac is really looking stupid now.

Agassi-Fan
09-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I agree that Stan didn't play thaaaat well, but I do have to give credit to Young for stepping up his game and pulling out the tough win in 5 sets.

gregor.b
09-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Wawrinka is now,what,top 20 in the world? According to you,he can't play tennis.Well,we have been hearing about Donald Young for about the last 5 years and how he is the anointed one in U.S. tennis.Stan has had some pretty good wins this year,and as we all know,you don't always play your best all the time.When one is near his and the other isn't,that is what happens.

rafaelnadalfan1234
09-02-2011, 03:18 PM

im pretty sure you would lose to donald young....

Mainad
09-02-2011, 03:49 PM
It's a good job Murray didn't take this advice when he lost in straights to the Donald earlier this year! ;-)

Stan just needs to consult Andy. He'll tell him that there IS life after Young! :lol:

Ben Hadd
09-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Had Young losing in my draw to Stan. BAH!!!

SirGounder
09-02-2011, 03:52 PM
He lost to a young player who is finally starting to figure things out. Wawrinka had an off day, and really bad off day, and Young played well enough to beat him. It's not like he lost in straight sets.

Fedace
09-02-2011, 04:07 PM
maybe he was injured. This loss is very surprising. SLOW us open courts this year should have given Stan the advantage. but didn't work out that way.

Cormorant
09-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Young played patiently and well. Stan didn't play his best but he certainly didn't play his worst.

I only caught the end of the fifth set, but in the tiebreak Wawrinka flat out played the worst tennis I have ever seen him play. Some of his shots didn't even have the power he'd put on them in a warm up; Roger was throwing things at the TV if he was watching.

If it's possible to choke from an even keel in the scoreline, that's what Wawrinka managed today. He was playing so nervously, he couldn't risk an error for fear of losing a point so his answer was to loop the ball back like Melanie Oudin at the end of a two-hour practice session in the Florida sun. On the sole tiebreak point he won, Wawrinka just stood there as Young made a tame error. I commiserate with all fans of Stan, he let you all down with that no-show in the clutch moments of the tiebreak (every one of them!).

Devilito
09-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Stan played the worst match of his life and is in quite a decline recently for some reason. He was looking promising at the start of the year now he’s totally in a downward spiral. Good win for Young but come on, %80 of the win was how bad Stan played.

hcb0804
09-02-2011, 05:00 PM
im pretty sure you would lose to donald young....

and I suppose YOU would not.:roll:

teAlexis
09-02-2011, 05:01 PM
He gave Yooung almost every single tiebreak point! :shock:

HiroProtagonist
09-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Stan Chump Sauce Wawrinka played wretched tennis in the last couple sets, retrieving from way behind the baseline against a guy who does not hit very hard.

Credit to DY for hanging tough and pulling it out but Stan gave it to him.

edberg505
09-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Stan Chump Sauce Wawrinka played wretched tennis in the last couple sets, retrieving from way behind the baseline against a guy who does not hit very hard.

Credit to DY for hanging tough and pulling it out but Stan gave it to him.

LOL, you guys make it seem as if all Young had to do was stand there and win points. And I actually did think that while reading all the post until I got home and saw the match on the DVR.

tango
09-02-2011, 06:06 PM
It must suck being the eleventh-best tennis player in the world.

Rhino
09-02-2011, 06:23 PM

I don't actually think this was a good call. 19 times out of 20 Wawa beats Young. This is just a case of that 1 out of 20 thing coming up, which it has to eventually.

But hey, enjoy it.

BrooklynNY
09-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Donald Young played great. Good for him.

He's officially beaten more top players than Ryan Harrison. Hopefully I can catch his match.

He also beat Andy Murray this year.

Time to give the guy some credit, he's finally putting it together, at the old age of 22....

KHSOLO
09-02-2011, 06:31 PM

He's officially beaten more top players than Ryan Harrison. Hopefully I can catch his match.

Time to give the guy some credit, he's finally putting it together, at the old age of 22....

At 22 Nadal and Fed had a couple of Slams, 1000, 500 and 250 events

Devilito
09-02-2011, 06:35 PM

The only credit he gets is that he managed to play both Murray and Wawrinka in what would have to be the worst matches they’ve played in their entire lives including juniors.

LuvTheGame
09-02-2011, 06:56 PM

Congrats Donald Young! This year you won your first match playing in the US Open and now you are on to the third round. Bravo!

Good to see Young maturing in his game. Today he stayed focused on winning, used the weapons he possesses and was not intimidated playing a high ranked player. Accepted far too many wild cards once he went pro. Then had to deal with many losses, damaging so early in his career.

Puzzling? :???: During his first round match, which was televised on the Tennis Channel, Jim Courier went on and on about Young's conflict this summer with the USTA (Patrick McEnroe really); implying that his parents were to blame for his lack of progress; mentioned how little money Young had made this year; then smugly and laughingly said that the funds earned wouldn't allow him to hire a coach now even if he chose too; and, finally predicting that Donald's best years were behind him!

Couldn't figure Courier out then nor now!

No matter, go Donald and good luck with your career. Hopefully this US Open will be a confidence builder.

Manus Domini
09-02-2011, 07:28 PM

http://www.tourneytopia.com/RacquetBracketUsOpenATP/USOpenATP/pool/entrypicks.aspx?entryid=242592 :)

OddJack
09-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Nadal was lucky he didnt pull Young, this guy is hot right now

Zildite
09-02-2011, 07:30 PM

He doesn't compare to Federer and Nadal, what a mug :neutral:

yemenmocha
09-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Stan played the worst match of his life and is in quite a decline recently for some reason. He was looking promising at the start of the year now hes totally in a downward spiral. Good win for Young but come on, %80 of the win was how bad Stan played.

+1 right on the mark.

Toxicmilk
09-02-2011, 08:23 PM

Reading comp fail.

Right, compare Young to two of the best in this era.

egn
09-02-2011, 09:48 PM
http://www.tourneytopia.com/RacquetBracketUsOpenATP/USOpenATP/pool/entrypicks.aspx?entryid=242592 :)

LMFFFAO that made me die in laughter/

MichaelNadal
09-02-2011, 10:28 PM

That is seriously impressive, that's a ballsy call.

Wilander Fan
09-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Wawrinka played the worst I have seen. He was moving very badly and his backhand was all arm. He has always been a poor mover but compensated with very powerful topspin drives but his shots seemed much flatter and he played like he just woke up from a weekend bender.

He also seemed to be trying to take the ball earlier and hit the ball flatter so maybe that is the problem. If he can learn to do this, he will be a much better player as his main problem in the past has been playing too far back.

Rock Strongo
09-03-2011, 12:26 AM
He's never gonna give it up, but I'm sure he's gonna let you down.

KHSOLO
09-03-2011, 04:03 AM

Ryan Harrison vs Donald Young, seriouslly?

baseliner
09-03-2011, 04:22 AM
Now that DY has actually won 2 matches in a GS, do we start the "Donald Young is the GOAT" thread? I only saw the last 2 sets, but could not believe how far behind the baseline Wawrinka was hitting the ball.

Manus Domini
09-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Ryan Harrison vs Donald Young, seriouslly?

And Nadal losing in the first round ;)

ahuimanu
09-03-2011, 05:58 AM
He beat Melzer and Bagdhatis... he can play, and he seems to be developing mental strength, finally. and improved fitness.

Congratulations to Donald Young!

He looked a lot fitter now than when I saw him at a challenger event two years ago. Appears he's hitting the ball flatter too which is helping his court penetration and ability put himself in an offensive position.

Whatever he's doin; keep doin it!:)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Young played well and deserved it.

But lets be honest, a guy who left his wife and kids to focus on his tennis and hired one of the best coaches around to establish himself as a Slam- contender (his own words) should beat Young. Period.

Cormorant
09-03-2011, 06:11 AM
And Nadal losing in the first round ;)

You're not alone, I too had a premonition that Young would beat Wawrinka. Only, I had him going on to face Murray, which means that my prediction might prove better than yours!

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=394418

BrooklynNY
09-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Who cares if you claim Murray and Stan played the worst match of their life.

That's tennis. If you don't want to be the headline of the day for being upset, you need to bring it everyday. There are no days off in tennis, especially in a slam, you take a mental vacation for 10 minutes in a match, and you're down a set and a break. Tough luck.

Kudos to Donald Young for not stepping out against Stan and Murray and proceeding to play the worst match of his life.

bezs
09-03-2011, 06:51 AM
I would give Stan a break after all Muzza this lose as well to Mr dirt off your shoulder.

Manus Domini
09-03-2011, 06:54 AM
You're not alone, I too had a premonition that Young would beat Wawrinka. Only, I had him going on to face Murray, which means that my prediction might prove better than yours!

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=394418

Ahh, but you had Murray actually winning a slam! I'm not so foolish ;)

LuvTheGame
09-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Young played well and deserved it.

But lets be honest, a guy who left his wife and kids to focus on his tennis and hired one of the best coaches around to establish himself as a Slam- contender (his own words) should beat Young. Period.

Did he really? I never knew that. Sounds very self-centered. Know where I could read more?

Cormorant
09-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Ahh, but you had Murray actually winning a slam! I'm not so foolish ;)

I take full responsibility for my foolishness, but I never claimed to be Paul the octopus.

LuvTheGame
09-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Googled about Stan's divorce and ex-wife. Wow she is 11 years older; and, though it's not unusual she was pregnant at the time. Lovely former television presenter the article states.

http://achangeofends.com/2011/01/he-said-she-said/stan-and-ilham/

But that is quite an age difference. Might be more to the story, article states Stan has stayed mum on the details!

Article: http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20110105/Wawrinka_shock_as_player_leaves_family_for_tennis"[/ ([URL="http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20110105/Wawrinka_shock_as_player_leaves_family_for_tennis) URL]

Manus Domini
09-03-2011, 08:13 AM
I take full responsibility for my foolishness, but I never claimed to be Paul the octopus.

Very true :)

West Coast Ace
09-03-2011, 08:19 AM
But lets be honest, a guy who left his wife and kids to focus on his tennis and hired one of the best coaches around to establish himself as a Slam- contender (his own words) should beat Young. Period.Amen. He ran out of gas - ironic since he was playing someone who used to be known for fitness issues.

If Stan is serious about making one final push to see how high he can go, needs to get in better shape - maybe mix in some seafood. :)

rafaelnadalfan1234
09-05-2011, 06:38 PM

nah id beat him :)

hcb0804
09-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Young loses to Murray, 6-1, 6-0, 6-1
write it down.......