PDA

View Full Version : Patrick McEnroe tweets "Today Donald Young became a man"

LuvTheGame
09-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Young even inspired his sometime nemesis Patrick McEnroe to Tweet afterward he beat Wawrinka that DY “became a man today.” (This was news to Young, who joked that he thought he had become a man when he turned 21 last year).

Hey Patrick when are you going to let go of that ego of yours and "Man up and become a Mentor to DY instead of a nemesis?"

TO MUCH CONTROL!
Patrick McEnroe is the General Manager of USTA Player Development, a position he assumed in April 2008, and he also serves as the Captain of the U.S. Davis Cup team and as President of USTA Serves, the philanthropic arm of the association. McEnroe works out of the USTA’s national headquarters in White Plains, N.Y.And Young still has trouble containing his emotions. He was shouting angrily as early as the second game, and his default look on court is that of a man hanging his head, waiting for the inevitable disaster to arrive.

YOUNG THE ONLY BAD BOY IN TENNIS?
Steve Tignor Blogs on Tennis.Com: "And Young still has trouble containing his emotions. He was shouting angrily as early as the second game, and his default look on court is that of a man hanging his head, waiting for the inevitable disaster to arrive."

Guess Ryan Harrison is the epitomy of Control and Tennis Etiquette:
Harrison, who in his young career has already developed a reputation for outbursts of anger when losing, exploded with frustration throughout the loss. Harrison threw his racket several times and spiked the ball into the stands, displays that led Tennis Channel’s Mary Carillo to call Harrison “Mr. Crankypants” and “a brat.” Mats Wilander agreed with Carillo’s assessment.
http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/29/harrison-cant-control-his-serve-or-his-temper/

GUESS ANDY RODDICK IS KNOWN AS MR. CONTROL
Andy Roddick carried on a lengthy argument with a U.S. Open lineswoman over a foot-fault call Wednesday night –
The call was made while Roddick trailed in the third set of what would become a 3-6, 7-5, 6-3, 7-6 (4) loss to Janko Tipsarevic in the second round.
Roddick asked the line judge which foot crossed the baseline, and she told him it was his right foot.
"That's impossible," Roddick snapped.
He continued berating the official between points.
A TV replay showed Roddick did commit a foot fault – but with his left foot.
The lineswoman was not on court at the start of the fourth set.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/02/andy-roddick-outburst-at-_n_703277.html

Things that make one go Hummmmmm:confused:

Clarky21
09-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Pmac has such an American bias I cannot stand to listen to him. I don't like him anyway,but him hyping up every single player with an American flag behind their name is so annoying,and completely ridiculous,that I wish someone would tape his mouth shut.

zagor
09-03-2011, 10:06 AM
He'll become a real man once he wins every slam atleast once.

Bhagi Katbamna
09-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Speaking of Young, his press conference was really good. It touched on if there was too much pressure put on him early on etc... I really liked it when he said he loved tennis.

FedExpress 333
09-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Pmac has such an American bias I cannot stand to listen to him. I don't like him anyway,but him hyping up every single player with an American flag behind their name is so annoying,and completely ridiculous,that I wish someone would tape his mouth shut.

Agreed, and I am American!

kishnabe
09-03-2011, 01:47 PM

You mean twice lol!

Clarky21
09-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Me too,so if even American's can't stand it you know it's bad.

Manus Domini
09-03-2011, 02:50 PM

I agree as well. As much as I want there to be an American champion, I'd prefer he not hype up EVERY one of them. I mean, yeah I want Harrison, and now Sock (I became a fan during his game), to do well, but I don't care much about watching those that aren't aggressive and get to net as much as possible...

Raphael
09-03-2011, 03:12 PM
He became a man because he didn't tweet "Take that, USTA!" after the match was over?

rommil
09-03-2011, 03:33 PM
The Donald is the man............. until his momma shows up.

West Coast Ace
09-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Agreed, and I am American!Me too. There are enough other competent announcers that someone with USTA/Davis Cup duties shouldn't be in the booth. When he's talking up US players, he sounds like the cheesiest salesman. Sad.

The Donald is the man............. until his momma shows up.Well played, sir.

Winner_DownTheLine
09-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Me too. There are enough other competent announcers that someone with USTA/Davis Cup duties shouldn't be in the booth. When he's talking up US players, he sounds like the cheesiest salesman. Sad.

Well played, sir.

Completely agree, why is P Mac allowed to sit in the booth, there is too much conflict of interest with him. I recently read an article on NYtimes straight sets blog on how much conflict of interest there is in Tennis.

West Coast Ace
09-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I recently read an article on NYtimes straight sets blog on how much conflict of interest there is in Tennis.It's the only thing that saved Gimelstob's career after his Hate Speech about Anna K. And why Arlen Kantarian was able to pocket stuff his way out of the USTA with $9 million of our dues that are supposed to be going to grow the game.

Kaz00
09-03-2011, 04:24 PM
I've always liked Donald Young ever since I saw him play Davydenko awhile back. I stayed up way past my bedtime I was kinda sad Young didn't win he had a huge chance really showed off that big serve, huge forehand, and super soft hands at the net. Miss those 3 weapons he should really try them when hes up to in a rhythm instead of when hes down and just hoping.

LuvTheGame
09-04-2011, 07:47 AM
He became a man because he didn't tweet "Take that, USTA!" after the match was over?

I am going to tweet for him and say "Hey PMAC and USTA - HOW YA LIKE ME NOW"

:)

athiker
09-04-2011, 08:28 AM
I haven't followed Donald Young much as his early bright star started fading a bit by the time I started following tennis again about 3 years ago. I was impressed by his post match comments and demeanor. He expressed his love of the game, his path to maturity and was gracious towards the USTA and their past issues. He looked like a guy who had a "broken through" a bit and had some weight lifted off his shoulders and some belief instilled in him. He even mentioned some off hand comments Sampras made to him at the end of a recent visit. I'm coming at it without seeing a lot of the past baggage so maybe my perception is wrong, IDK.

I hope he does well going forward, I also like watching Jack Sock (though he seems to take the ball a bit late?), not such a fan of Harrison...or Roddick either for that matter (except that he plays to a fast pace which is nice). I'm also in the camp of getting a bit tired of all the American, American, American chatter. I pull for the U.S. in Davis Cup but to be honest there are a number of "foreign" players I like better than some of the U.S. players. Not that that keeps any of the U.S. players up at night...just sayin'. A lot of we fans have broader interest than just U.S. players and don't hang on the edge of our seats counting the number of Americans left in tourneys.

sureshs
09-04-2011, 09:25 AM
So I guess when a pro wins a 5 set match, he become a man, and later, when he loses one, he once again becomes a boy.

What a ridiculous association of emotional development with something as trivial as hitting a ball.

t135
09-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Blah blah blah, Young stayed focused, kept his emotions under control, played within his abilities, and fought to win without mentally throwing in the towel.

Any mature adult would look at a talented tennis player like Donald Young and immediately realize he has handled himself very immaturely on court for quite some time. That's something a coach or parent can't fix, it has to come from the player.

Patric McEnroe's comment clearly refers to Donald's maturity on the court this summer and specifically last week in the biggest tennis tournament in the world. Young has handled himself like a man on court, he reeks of confidence, and when you beat a player like Wawrinka in 5 sets at the open; referencing his maturity today by saying "he became a man today" or "he came of age today" is a very positive complement.

Patrick McEnroe's job is not to tear young American tennis players down, it's to be honest and try to build them up. McEnroe accomplished more as a pro than Young has, and he is an intelligent guy. Young should respect Patrick McEnroe, his advice and opinions. Pro tennis isn't rocket science, it's competition and you need maturity is a key to competing at the highest level. Talent alone won't do it.

Young should take McEnroe's complement with grace. Turning 21 doesn't make you a man. Not understanding that is immature.

McEnroe probably could have been a little more diplomatic with his comment. It's something a TV commentator would say...a fast one liner. A true comment but *maybe* not exactly what a guy in his position in american tennis should have said. He could have worded it more professionally and positively. Especially given the sensitivity of the USTA/Young relationship.

Miso
09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't care about his attitude. His demeanor is a nice guy but I think his junior success made him believe he deserved to be given everything. So hopefully he keeps up the hard working mentality that he has had the last few weeks.

DY is the first tennis player I ever saw and was my first favorite tennis player. So, i'll always be in his corner. lol

heftylefty
09-04-2011, 02:55 PM
So if PMac gets gig because he's someone other than John less talented or successful brother, will he become a man too?

Raphael
09-04-2011, 04:29 PM
I am going to tweet for him and say "Hey PMAC and USTA - HOW YA LIKE ME NOW"

:)

Sure! Or maybe during his next match he should do a crotch-chop to the press box, just for good measure! :P

Amelie Mauresmo
09-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Patrick McEnroe is an a.s.s.h.o.l.e. so now he's jumping on the Donald Young bandwagon? McEnroe has a history of making racist comments against black tennis players. James Blake one of the nicest guys on the ATP Tour hates Patrick McEnroe and he's discussed this in the media.

danb
09-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Remember Oudin? Donald Young has still a lot to prove. We'll see.

Kaz00
09-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Remember Oudin? Donald Young has still a lot to prove. We'll see.

Oudin let it go all to her head and decided not to improve anything and gained a ton of weight. D.Young will take this as a huge positive to his game and improve a lot maybe finally start playing tournaments outside of the USA and actually hire an actual coach.

jerriy
09-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Remember Oudin? Donald Young has still a lot to prove. We'll see.Apples and Oranges.

Oudin wasn't billed to prove and didn't prove anything.

She wasn't a junior promised/promoted to have a career at such and such level.

She was just a journeywoman who once upon a time had one lucky ride at a single tournament (USO 2009) she rode the accompanying 15 minutes of fame, and now she's back to where she was before that USO: her normal journeywoman level (stripped of it's USO'09 points and derivative perks).

Fedace
09-05-2011, 10:48 PM
my question is when will P Mac become a MAN ???

15_ounce
09-06-2011, 12:50 AM

He'll become a real man once he gets married and produces babies.

Datacipher
09-06-2011, 12:59 AM
So if PMac gets gig because he's someone other than John less talented or successful brother, will he become a man too?

Hasn't happened yet. I think Amerian's are great...and I USED To like Pmac. For a long time, he hid his true nature...just Mr. Nice guy....then smarmy little comments would peak out now and then...NOW for the last few years...it's just apparent he's an arrogant jerk.

DY's comments about the USTA were poor....even worse is Pmac publicly firing back. Real professional Pmac. He's a very young, under pressure tennis player...YOU are SUPPOSED to be a senior administrator, there to HELP.

Now...these stupid comments...became a man...thanks DAD. That's not condescending or presumptuous of you to say at all PMAC. Do you think DY wants to hear that from you (given your tight relationship)...PUBLICLY?? Grow up Pmac!

Oh...also...you're happy DY is "starting to get it"?? OK...well buddy you lost more matches than you won...maybe you need to get off the high horse a bit.

Datacipher
09-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Blah blah blah, Young stayed focused, kept his emotions under control, played within his abilities, and fought to win without mentally throwing in the towel.

Any mature adult would look at a talented tennis player like Donald Young and immediately realize he has handled himself very immaturely on court for quite some time. That's something a coach or parent can't fix, it has to come from the player.

Patric McEnroe's comment clearly refers to Donald's maturity on the court this summer and specifically last week in the biggest tennis tournament in the world. Young has handled himself like a man on court, he reeks of confidence, and when you beat a player like Wawrinka in 5 sets at the open; referencing his maturity today by saying "he became a man today" or "he came of age today" is a very positive complement.

Patrick McEnroe's job is not to tear young American tennis players down, it's to be honest and try to build them up. McEnroe accomplished more as a pro than Young has, and he is an intelligent guy. Young should respect Patrick McEnroe, his advice and opinions. Pro tennis isn't rocket science, it's competition and you need maturity is a key to competing at the highest level. Talent alone won't do it.

Young should take McEnroe's complement with grace. Turning 21 doesn't make you a man. Not understanding that is immature.

McEnroe probably could have been a little more diplomatic with his comment. It's something a TV commentator would say...a fast one liner. A true comment but *maybe* not exactly what a guy in his position in american tennis should have said. He could have worded it more professionally and positively. Especially given the sensitivity of the USTA/Young relationship.

Your last paragraph is key....does publicly making backhanded compliments (the obvious implication is that he WAS a BOY) truly HELP DY? Does it make Pmac and the USTA look professional and supportive? Is Pmac in a position/relationship with Young that, on a personal level, such a comment is desired and/or respected.

Thanks Pmac, we know what you were referring to, but maybe keep your subjective, belittling, condescending comments to yourself, if you want to be any kind of professional.

Legend of Borg
09-06-2011, 01:12 AM
He'll become a real man once he gets married and produces babies.

Game over for DY.

LuvTheGame
09-06-2011, 02:41 AM
my question is when will P Mac become a MAN ???

Great question for PMac who keeps getting paid the big bucks by the USTA and ESPN for being Johnny McEnroe's little brother. :evil: