PDA

View Full Version : Williams sisters ball flight

Andy Zarzuela
07-07-2005, 08:10 AM
I was wondering if Venus hit with alot of topspin or more flat strokes. I notice when she hits a cross court shot with pace, the ball seems to have a hook on it. Has anyone ever noticed this too? I know she hits more spin then Davenport. I was just wondering because both sisters have long, loopy swings, that they would have to hit some spin because of their oversized racquets. I've watched them both in person, but I was too caught up in the drama of the match to notice their ball flight, but I do remember when Venus' warms up (starting the rally), she hits balls really easy with alot of top. That it just floats over. But what about during the match when she's hitting her normal hard shots. Also, Serena too. Does she hit more or less spin then Venus. Just curious.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I think Serena hits with less spin than Venus, Davenport hits flatter than both of them. The Williams are still able to get enormous pace hitting with a good margin of safe spin, especialy Venus.

Andy Zarzuela
07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I've noticed that Venus hits more spin than Davenport and Sharapova. In her semifinal match, Sharapova and Venus were both hitting out and Maria averaged 72 mph and Venus averaged 70 on their groundstrokes. Venus has a little bit more variety than Sharapova I guess, because she can hit the hard shots with spin with a decent margin for error and the crushing hard flat ones too. When the Williams sisters get a weak 2nd serve, I've seen them crush 90mph+ winners.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Yeah I think Venus chooses times to flatten them out more, at the right moments, but hits the majority with more spin than alot of the other power players for control but still gets great pace. Sharapova and Davenport are probably the flattest, Serena hits with less topspin than Venus as well though.

Jack Romeo
07-07-2005, 10:45 AM
if you're talking about the forehand, yes, the williams sisters can hit with a lot of topspin but also can flatten it out. venus sometimes has a problem with the timing of the forehand, more so than serena. with regards to the backhand, i think both sisters hit it relatively flat. i wouldn't say they have more or less spin than either sharapova or davenport from the backhand; maybe just the same. serena, in particular, usually likes to hit a very flat backhand for outright winners.