PDA

View Full Version : Capriati vs Sharapova

NadalAgassi
09-03-2011, 01:38 PM
If Sharapova never wins a big title again how would you compare these two, and who is the greater player. While I have been called a Capriati basher in the past I would actually go with Jennifer. The reasons:

1. She defended a slam title.
2. She won back to back slams.
3. She won the Olympic Gold in singles, beating Sanchez and Graf back to back on clay. IMO Olympics > WTA or ATP Championships
4. She played the greatest player of her generation tough, going 7-10 vs Serena, only twice losing in straight sets in 17 matches, and beating her FOUR times in slams from 2001-2004 which is very impressive.
5. She had a perfect record in slam finals.
6. Two of her slams semifinal defeats are considered amongst the greatest matches of all time.
7. WTA and ITF Player of the year once. Associated Press and World Laureus Female Athlete of the year once.

Maria's edges are 10 more career titles, and a WTA Championship title. Sharapova has more consistency, but it looks like Capriati will end up having the superior longevity. Overall I would go with Capriati as the greater and better player (two different things) both.

Tanya
09-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Oh god I knew this thread was coming...

DjokovicForTheWin
09-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Who had more slams?

NadalAgassi
09-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Who had more slams?

They both won 3.

PSNELKE
09-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Poll?
Sharapova! She won the WTF as well in 2004 beating Serena Williams in both the WTF and Wimbledon at age of 17.
Also Sharapova winning 3 different majors, the WTF overweighs Capriati´s 3 majors at 2 different events and the Olympics 1992. imo
For me Sharapova wins.
+ more major final apperances for Sharapova.

Also a poll would be nice.

Torres
09-04-2011, 03:29 AM
In pure tennis terms, Capriati was the more rounded player in my view. Sharapova only plays one way - hard and flat (and annoyingly shrieky) - and if her game's only slightly off, its unforced error central.

buscemi
09-04-2011, 04:02 AM
I might say:

Pre-shoulder injury Sharapova > Capriati
Capriati > Pre-shoulder injury Sharapova

Overall, probably Capriati > Sharapova

I just don't ever see Maria getting her mojo back.

BHud
09-04-2011, 04:36 AM
J Cap wins in the partying category as well!

boredone3456
09-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Sharapova. She won all 3 of her slam finals in straight sets. She spanked Serena at Wimbledon at the age of 17, which is something that Capriati on her best day would never be able to do. Granted she lucked out against Davenport but push came to shove in her first slam final, she made mince meat out of her opponent at every critical juncture of that match. Later in the year she would beat Serena a second time in the YEC, coming from a set down to do so.

She straight Setted French Open Champ Henin at the 2006 US Open in the finals after a SF where she fed the reigning world number 1 and holder of 2 of the first 3 Majors Mauresmo 2 Bagels, the first time that has ever happened to a number 1 seed at the Open I believe. Then at the 2008 Aussie she ended Henin's epic winning streak in grand fashion 64 60 and went on to with the tournament in a total domination of the entire field.

Add in the fact that she currently has many more Career Titles then Capriati (24-14), she has an additonal 2 major finals to her 3 victories, and YEC win and runner up Finish (Capriati never reached a final there)...I'd say that even with the Gold Medal Sharapova is ahead of Jennifer...especially since Jennifer had to struggle in 2 of her 3 Major victories while Sharapova stomped to all 3 of hers.

fedhingis515
09-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Achievements: Sharapova
Tennis, entertainment: Capriati