PDA

View Full Version : Why some people don't like Mary Pierce?

PierceCheng
07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
See the topic name. :|

Can anyone tell me please? :confused:

154Ace
07-07-2005, 09:56 AM
I love her!

I got to hit with her at Amelia Island, and she was so nice. She has such a good time when she plays. When she was practicing with her partner, they were joking and laughing, infact, they had a practice match and the loser had to buy the winner a blizzard from diary queen. Like i said, she's great and i personally love her.

littlelleyton
07-07-2005, 09:59 AM
i like her when she is playing a point but when it ends she slows down soooo much and takes ages to get going again. she seems pretty emotional too she looks like sometime she is going to burst into tears. i dont know maybe some people just dont like her you know what its like you take to certain players more than others.

fantom
07-07-2005, 10:05 AM
She seems like a really nice person and I enjoy watching her play. It does irk me, though, when she takes so long between points. She also seems to be worrying more about her hair between points than her strategy.

I'm glad to see a resurgence in her game, though.

Andy Zarzuela
07-07-2005, 10:07 AM
I love her!

I got to hit with her at Amelia Island, and she was so nice. She has such a good time when she plays. When she was practicing with her partner, they were joking and laughing, infact, they had a practice match and the loser had to buy the winner a blizzard from diary queen. Like i said, she's great and i personally love her.

I was a ball boy at Amelia Island, so I got to see her practice alot too! Her hitting partner was beating her 5-3 and she was having so much fun laughing giggling on the court, letting out shrieks when she missed an easy put away, etc. They had to go because Sugiyama practice court. She was friendly too....some little girls asked her if they could have a picture with her and said "sure" and when the girls took one, she said "Do you want to get in the picture too?" to the girl that took the picture, and she was nice enough to take pictures with her. She's definitely underated as far as being a "darling of the media", which they give Davenport that name. Davenport is friendly in press confrences, etc, but not as nice as Mary. Plus, Davenport has a potty mouth when she practices.

uNIVERSE mAN
07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
maybe because she's fat and slower than davenport.

divito
07-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Her nose. BLAH!

A D
07-07-2005, 10:32 AM
maybe because she's fat and slower than davenport.

Yes, I kinda want to agree and expand on this...but...ah...ok here goes...

Five reasons why I h@te Mary Pierce:

5) She's moves slow.
4) She doesn't look like she takes care of her body.
3) She thinks too much between points.
2) She left Canada to play for France.
1) She has the ugliest serve motion I've ever seen.

Having said that and now reaching full troll-like status, I apologize.

divito
07-07-2005, 10:36 AM

:( I didn't know that, now I hate her even more.

Andy Hewitt
07-07-2005, 10:57 AM

:( I didn't know that, now I hate her even more.
She's just going the way of all the fake Frenchies.

BaseLineBash
07-07-2005, 12:53 PM
I don't know, but I like watching her play. She has an awesome ground-stroke game.

Chadwixx
07-07-2005, 01:03 PM
she takes 2mins to serve, then the point lasts 5secs with brainless bashing.

personally i have no probs with her, i just cant watch her play.

RealityPolice
07-07-2005, 04:33 PM

No, she didn't.

She was born in Canada (her mother was getting a Ph.D. in linguistics from [I believe] McGill University). Her mother is French, her father American. They moved back to the States when she was a kid, and she started playing tennis while a kid living in Florida. When she became a promising junior, her father went to the USTA for more $$$ and better perks. After numerous complaints that the USTA was giving coaching/money only to Jennifer Capriati, Jim Pierce took advantage of his wife's French citizenship and moved the family to France, where the Federation was willing to pony up to his demands (while alienating the "naturally" French players at the time-- it's one of the reasons the French crowds will turn on Pierce so quickly). While she still (IIRC) carries Canadian citizenship by birth-- I may be wrong here-- there was never any question of her playing for Canada.

In any event, she was a child when her family moved to the US, and a young teenager when they left for France. The fact that someone might use "She left Canada to play for France" as a reason to hate her only goes to show the depths to which Internet tennis fans will sink when looking for an excuse to spew venom.

A D
07-07-2005, 05:01 PM
No, she didn't.

After numerous complaints that the USTA was giving coaching/money only to Jennifer Capriati, Jim Pierce took advantage of his wife's French citizenship and moved the family to France,

which proves my point. And if you ever watch tournaments, you will see that she represents FRANCE, okay?

AND, if I'm not mistaken and memory proves correct, she played for FRANCE in the Olympics, like the year she left CANADA.

Dunno bout your sources, but I'm Canadian, and they made a pretty public deal about it.

No, she didn't.

In any event, she was a child when her family moved to the US, and a young teenager when they left for France. The fact that someone might use "She left Canada to play for France" as a reason to hate her only goes to show the depths to which Internet tennis fans will sink when looking for an excuse to spew venom.

Okay, I'll make a new list and list that as 11.

11 reasons why I h@te Mary Pierce:

11) She left Canada to play for France.
10) She's slow.
9) She's out of shape.
8) She takes too much time between points.
7) She thinks too much between points.
6) She's ugly.
5) She shows too much disappointment whenever she loses to a better player.
4) She has not thanked/acknowledged Canada once for all it's support and facility training, etc.
3) She takes long breaks between tourneys and then expects to win each comeback.
2) Her serve is almost as ugly as herself.
1) She's ugly.

Bertchel Banks
07-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Whatever happened to independent thinking?

She takes too much time between points

The ESPN crew makes a big deal about the amount of time Pierce takes between points, all of a sudden it's a big deal on these boards. How many Pierce matches have we seen in the six months since the tennis season started?

uNIVERSE mAN
07-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Yes, I kinda want to agree and expand on this...but...ah...ok here goes...

Five reasons why I h@te Mary Pierce:

5) She's moves slow.
4) She doesn't look like she takes care of her body.
3) She thinks too much between points.
1) She has the ugliest serve motion I've ever seen.

Having said that and now reaching full troll-like status, I apologize.

I agree completely, the serve motion looks like she's trying to take a ****.

Kaptain Karl
07-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Her style (of play) is boring. I couldn't stand the AO match against Shriekapova. Seeing the two slowest players on the WTA play is like watching rust....

- KK

Cavaleer
07-08-2005, 09:51 AM
A little harsh, no? LOL.

I hope all of you have strokes and movement like Federer, a body like Serena, and a face like Kournikova...oh, and a service motion like Sampras. ;)

Cavaleer

A D
07-08-2005, 10:43 AM
A little harsh, no? LOL.

I hope all of you have strokes and movement like Federer, a body like Serena, and a face like Kournikova...oh, and a service motion like Sampras. ;)

Cavaleer

a body like Serena's???

Surely you could have picked a better example than this?

Camilio Pascual
07-08-2005, 12:18 PM
AND, if I'm not mistaken and memory proves correct, she played for FRANCE in the Olympics, like the year she left CANADA.
Dunno bout your sources, but I'm Canadian, and they made a pretty public deal about it.

Interesting. What year was the last year Mary Pierce lived in Canada?

Chadwixx
07-08-2005, 12:27 PM
a body like Serena's???

a body like capriati?

MonkeyPox
07-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Mary has more nervous tics than someone in a mental hospital. She seems like she is completely crazy. But she also seems sort of nice. Like one of your crazy old aunts who lives in a house with 50 cats.

Kaptain Karl
07-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Here's my "anti" composite:

Body - Capriati
Mental Toughness - Zvonareva
Serve - Demetieva
Foot Speed - Davenport

I know there's more, but I'm depresing myself....

- KK

A D
07-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Here's my all-time women's ugly list:

Body: Serena (no offence, but after Wimby she looks like the Thing from Fantastic Four.)

Serve: Pierce-if I have to see her stick her *** out and arch her back once more I will puke.

Movement: Davenport-no comment.

Chadwixx
07-08-2005, 05:36 PM
she looks like the Thing from Fantastic Four

hehe good one

Yours!05
07-08-2005, 06:15 PM
With a "friend" like the OP PierceCheng, Mary has enough enemies to last a lifetime. Usually he posts the same thread simultaneously on other Boards, then seems to go quiet for a while - perhaps having some treatment. It seems like some sort of OCD rather than simple trolling.
Essentially, he/(she?) is a stalker - but with the www as a platform, others join in. An outbreak of Pierce-bashing frequently follows.
When I first joined TW this was about the only tennis board he wasn't infesting. It didn't last long.

drp2345
07-08-2005, 10:38 PM
I met Pierce once and she is the nicest famous person I have ever seen. She takes nothing for granted and respects everyone. Shes not stuck up either.

big ted
07-08-2005, 11:34 PM
dont u think its superficial and wrong to hate somebody becuz there "ugly" ?

Brego
07-09-2005, 07:22 AM
dont u think its superficial and wrong to hate somebody becuz there "ugly" ?

Yes. Some here seem to prefer Sharapova the ditz over real tennis players with real heart. Sharapova is all show and nothing else.

drp2345
07-10-2005, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't really say shes ditzy. But from what i've heard she's a little stuck up. IDN though.

uNIVERSE mAN
07-10-2005, 07:39 PM
If it's acceptable to drool over someone because she looks good, then it's equally acceptable to crap on someone because she's ugly.

ACE of Hearts
07-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Didnt Roberto Alomar hit her with a baseball bat when they was together? :mrgreen: Robbie with a triple!

theace21
07-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Her dad was the looney man of the WTA...Good enough reason for me...

sinatra161
07-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Yes. Some here seem to prefer Sharapova the ditz over real tennis players with real heart. Sharapova is all show and nothing else.

Kournikova was all show,but I don't think you can honestly say the same about Sharapova!

hopeless
07-10-2005, 10:32 PM
yes i can!

Sharapova is all show ;)

sandiegotennisboy
07-10-2005, 11:52 PM
i don't even know if she can be called a "has been" because she hasn't been. F**k me for replying to this post and fueling this weirdo's flame. if you read the replies, as you can assess from it, no one gives a sh*t about her or completely hates her so why don't you make a website and get 3 hits a year. freak.

Deuce
07-11-2005, 12:38 AM
RealityPolice wrote:
"While she still (IIRC) carries Canadian citizenship by birth-- I may be wrong here-- there was never any question of her playing for Canada."

You are not wrong - 'A D' is wrong.

And, A D - you have shown the potential to think insightfully and intelligently in other threads. Your posts in this thread, however, lack any degree of intelligence or class. It seems then that you are at a crossroads, needing to decide between being an insightful and intelligent poster, or a jackass. Count me as one poster who hopes you make the mature decision.

As far as Mary Pierce is concerned...

What I dislike about her is that she deliberately took creatine (and perhaps other substances) a few years ago to 'bulk up' her weight, and thus her strength. To me, trying to gain an advantage via anything which involves ingesting or injecting an outside substance into your body is cheating. You want to become stronger? Hit the weight room.

What I also dislike about her is the fact that she seems very preoccupied with her surface - she must always assure herself that she "looks pretty" on the court. this is far more superficial behavior than most women athletes exhibit.

On the positive end, it seems, by various reports, that she is very friendly and 'down to earth', suffering less from the prima donna over-inflated ego problem than are most of her peers.

Polaris
07-11-2005, 02:12 AM
I have only one minor quibble with Pierce. It is that she takes an insanely long time between two serves. Mary Carillo kept harping about it too. Other than that, she is fine player who has remained near the top level for a reasonably long time. I first remember taking note of Pierce when she zipped passed Graf in straight sets at the French Open many years ago.

sinatra161
07-13-2005, 10:26 PM
yes i can!

Sharapova is all show ;)

Next time you win Wimbledon you can let us know if it takes skill or good looks ;)

PierceCheng
07-17-2005, 02:33 AM
Didnt Roberto Alomar hit her with a baseball bat when they was together? :mrgreen: Robbie with a triple!

ACE of Hearts, Mary Pierce & Roberto Alomar were dissevered in four years ago.

Cavaleer
07-17-2005, 08:08 AM
a body like Serena's???

Serena's body is pure athletic, even when she's out of shape, more so than any other women's player today, including her sister. Graf and Navratilova are her predecessors physically. If only she focused on her tennis like they did.

Cavaleer