PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't the Nadal - Nalbandian match the night match tomorrow?

BreakPoint
09-03-2011, 04:46 PM
I mean that has the potential to be a much better match given Nalbandian's record over Nadal on fast hardcourts and the fact that Nadal is not at his best right now and always vulnerable in early rounds at a major? But instead it's the first match on Ashe at 11:00am? What's up with that? Why would they put the Murray - Lopez match as the night match? Murray just killed Lopez at Wimbledon and is 5-0 against him, and I thought the BBC always demands that Murray matches to be on early so that it's prime time in the U.K. and not after midnight, which is when the night session starts?

Clarky21
09-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Maybe because they know both of them have the potential to be a blowout,and since Murray has yet to be on at night they chose to show his instead. I think Nadal is going to be in big trouble tomorrow. I think Nalby has a very good chance at taking that match,and doing it easier than people may think.

Atherton2003
09-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm glad Nadal is playing 1st. I don't have Tennis Channel - and so anyone who doesn't have Tennis Channel has no tennis to watch on Sat. and Sun. night. Stupid programming.

BreakPoint
09-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm glad Nadal is playing 1st. I don't have Tennis Channel - and so anyone who doesn't have Tennis Channel has no tennis to watch on Sat. and Sun. night. Stupid programming.
Hmmm....maybe it was CBS that demanded the Nadal-Nalbandian match be in the day session?

Breaker
09-03-2011, 05:01 PM

And here is your answer, CBS in America wants the more popular players since they have no night coverage. Why do you think some kid no one's really heard of is on right now against Ivanovic whilst the obviously better matchup of S. Williams vs. top 5 Azarenka was a day match.

Winner_DownTheLine
09-03-2011, 05:04 PM

watch it for free on usopen.org, wonderful quality!

West Coast Ace
09-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Hmmm....maybe it was CBS that demanded the Nadal-Nalbandian match be in the day session?You answered your own question. That is precisely why. Money talks and you know what runs the marathon. (New Jack City)

Winner_DownTheLine
09-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Surprised why ESPN didn't take the night matches Today and Tomorrow (sunday)

Atherton2003
09-03-2011, 05:10 PM
ESPN2 didn't even pick up night coverage on Sat. and Sun. evening. I can't seem to get any t.v. coverage on usopen.org either...it just says "loading" and that's about all. I do get the radio coverage - but there is nothing more boring than listening to a tennis match on the radio.

Atherton2003
09-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Yes - I got the coverage now on usopen.org. Thanks!

West Coast Ace
09-03-2011, 05:16 PM
ESPN2 didn't even pick up night coverage on Sat. and Sun. evening.Tonight is college football night. ABC has a huge game; ESPN has a big game; ESPN2 has NASCAR. All will dwarf the US Open ratings.

Winner_DownTheLine
09-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Tonight is college football night. ABC has a huge game; ESPN has a big game; ESPN2 has NASCAR. All will dwarf the US Open ratings.

We both joined around the same time but you are a legend :)

kishnabe
09-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Nalbandian is a dark fiend.....who feeds of the moonlight. They are afraid of him slaying Rafa Parian Warrior(Absorbs power from Sunlight) before he fights the Joker egg machine.

Then maybe Nadal just asked for the daytime sessions...and Murray needs some excitement to pump him up possibly the US Open Night crowd would do just that. Also there is some dumb drama about Murray mom liking Deliciano....the commenators all over that. It should be a personal grudge match.

Plus who wants to see Nadal be ripped apart tommorow or the other way around when Nalbandian is flung around by Nadal.

We will see....Though I am happying it is the morning match...I can go to work after!

Cormorant
09-03-2011, 05:44 PM
That's cleared things up for me, but it just seems wrong to have Tsonga-Fish as anything but a night match.

Colin
09-04-2011, 12:19 AM
All the big matches are during the day on Labor Day weekend. In addition to the CBS coverage schedule (they set it up so they can televise all of Nadal and Roddick), I'm guessing that's more popular with the crowd there.

You can show up for the day and take in some good matches, then still head out for a fun night out. (Unless you're on this board, then you stay from the opening point till the last because you have no life outside of tennis.)

On Monday, Serena-Ivanovic will definitely be the day match, with Caroline at night. I'm not sure how they'll schedule the men's matches, other than to toss Tipsy-Ferrero on a secondary court. They should spotlight Tsonga-Fish because it's likely to be the closest (plus Mardy is American, while Tsonga is just cool), but they'll probably show Roger during the day and Novak at night. Tsonga-Fish may get pushed to Armstrong unless they schedule three men's matches on Ashe.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Nadal has already had nightmatch, Murray hasnt. Murray is also much more fun watching, Nadal can only get so many advantages

Gizo
09-04-2011, 02:34 AM
Every year when the US Open is taking place, some people fail to realise that on Saturday and Sunday, the day sessions are the prime ones and hence get the bigger matches. On the week days, the night sessions are the prime ones, as people are working during the day.

flymeng
09-04-2011, 03:07 AM
watch it for free on usopen.org, wonderful quality!

USOpen.org streaming was jerky. Maybe it is Verizon FIOS. LSHunter streaming is better but screen is small.

vive le beau jeu !
09-04-2011, 03:44 AM
Plus who wants to see Nadal be ripped apart
... i do. :)

batz
09-04-2011, 05:10 AM
(Nadal is vulnerable in the early rounds? :lol: Apart from 2009 Roland Garros, when did he last lose before QF? Nadal is the 2nd biggest week 2 lock on tour, behind only Federer. The only slam he is even stretched to 5 sets at in the first week is Wimbledon. Nalbandian ain't going to change that :lol:)

*Cough* John Isner.

TopFH
09-04-2011, 06:01 AM
I'm so lucky that ESPN in my country has both matches. I get to see everything always.

y12.pats
09-04-2011, 06:28 AM

espn3.com and usopen.org

BreakPoint
09-04-2011, 08:08 AM
(Nadal is vulnerable in the early rounds? :lol: Apart from 2009 Roland Garros, when did he last lose before QF? Nadal is the 2nd biggest week 2 lock on tour, behind only Federer. The only slam he is even stretched to 5 sets at in the first week is Wimbledon. Nalbandian ain't going to change that :lol:)
Um....did you already forget about his first round match against Isner at the French Open just a couple of months ago? On Nadal's favorite slow, red clay and by far Isner's WORST surface?

Or how about Nadal's match versus Golubev the other night? Or when Ivo Heuberger took him to 5 sets in the 1st round and then Roddick annihilated him in the 2nd round at the '04 US Open? Or how about when Youzhny took him to 5 sets in the 2nd round of the '05 AO?

Cesc Fabregas
09-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Its been high quality match so far. BreakPoint is seldom right but he has a point, this should be the show case match of the day.

achokshi99
09-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Good match so far but Nalbandian at his age, injuries, and style of play is good for about 1 super competitive set vs a top 4-5 player in a GS. Nice tiebreak although Nalbandian blew the first set and he looks like he'll fade quick now.

christinamaniac7
09-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Because only djokovic has the right to play at night session...

Subventricular Zone
09-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Huh? The day sessions during Labor Day weekend (Sat-Mon) are shown on US national TV---CBS---so the best matches are played during the day.

Murrayfan31
09-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Nadal hates night matches.

TennisandMusic
09-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Um....did you already forget about his first round match against Isner at the French Open just a couple of months ago? On Nadal's favorite slow, red clay and by far Isner's WORST surface?

Or how about Nadal's match versus Golubev the other night? Or when Ivo Heuberger took him to 5 sets in the 1st round and then Roddick annihilated him in the 2nd round at the '04 US Open? Or how about when Youzhny took him to 5 sets in the 2nd round of the '05 AO?

You're bringing up a match from 7 years ago when he was 18? Really?

You know...I think Federer is vulnerable in early rounds. Remember when he lost in the first round at Wimbledon, his favorite major, in 2002?!