Interesting:

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/109374.html

Too harsh or does he have a point?

DragonBlaze
09-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Interesting:

Well I can see this thread is going to turn ugly. Before that happens I'm gonna put Fed's actual quote up without the colorful commentary of the authour

Q. There has been more retirements, more players retiring this...

ROGER FEDERER: Than ever, right?

Q. Than ever.

ROGER FEDERER: It's a record.

Q. Can you pinpoint any possible reason? There has been some talk about balls being different.

ROGER FEDERER: The balls? I think the balls are the same. I'd say 50% of them aren't lucky because, you know, not feeling well or getting injured or carrying in an injury. Depends where that player comes from. Maybe did they overplay a little bit? Has he been playing too long with an injury already? I mean, comes out in best of five set tennis. Can't hide it, in my opinion. Could some guys finish the matches? I'm sure, but they didn't decide to. For me it is shocking to see so many retirements. I have never retired in my whole life except once when I played against Blake in Paris, but I didn't even walk on to the court. For me it doesn't matter how bad I'm feeling, I will be out there and giving it a try, because you never know what's gonna happen. Look, every player feels different. It's unfortunate it happen for the fans, I guess.

I see no swiping at other players, just him offering his viewpoint that he wouldn't retire personally, and he recognizes that every player is different. He did say that half of them are just not lucky. That sounds about right as well, while I'm sure that many players retiring is the right way to go in order to not hurt yourself too badly, I'm sure there are just as many that could actually finish the match without too much harm. As a fan, if I paid for those matches I would be super ****ed if it was something lame that they retired from, like Djoker last week. Finish the 3 games man, come on. Not trying to hate upon Djoker, that was just a bit annoying really.

Anyways though I'll save some posters here the trouble of typing their thoughts out by doing it myself -

This is a digrace, an scandal, a outrage!!! Federer is such a pompous big nosed tweener hitting showboater narcissistic egotistical arrogant looking twit. This is CLEARLY an attack at humbalito and Djokerer. Clearly as the realization dawns upon him that his daughters are looking more and more like him (may god have mercy on their souls), he is turning more and more into a bitter old fool.

So, how are my impersonating skills? Better than Djoker or not?

Bud
09-04-2011, 03:27 AM
Well I can see this thread is going to turn ugly. Before that happens I'm gonna put Fed's actual quote up without the colorful commentary of the authour

I see no swiping at other players, just him offering his viewpoint that he wouldn't retire personally, and he recognizes that every player is different. He did say that half of them are just not lucky. That sounds about right as well, while I'm sure that many players retiring is the right way to go in order to not hurt yourself too badly, I'm sure there are just as many that could actually finish the match without too much harm. As a fan, if I paid for those matches I would be super ****ed if it was something lame that they retired from, like Djoker last week. Finish the 3 games man, come on. Not trying to hate upon Djoker, that was just a bit annoying really.

No sign of that debilitating shoulder injury this week ;)

That was underhanded to deny Murray a full victory, IMO. He could have toughed out three more games.

cc0509
09-04-2011, 03:33 AM
Federer is absolutely 1000% right here. It is disgusting what is going on in tennis these days with all of the retirements in both the WTA and ATP.

Disgraceful!

DragonBlaze
09-04-2011, 03:34 AM

That was underhanded to deny Murray a full victory, IMO. He could have toughed out three more games.

Yea it was an interesting time to retire for sure.

Far too many retirements this tournament and the majority cant be blamed on the tour structure in my opinion.

cc0509
09-04-2011, 03:37 AM

Anyways though I'll save some posters here the trouble of typing their thoughts out by doing it myself -

This is a digrace, an scandal, a outrage!!! Federer is such a pompous big nosed tweener hitting showboater narcissistic egotistical arrogant looking twit. This is CLEARLY an attack at humbalito and Djokerer. Clearly as the realization dawns upon him that his daughters are looking more and more like him (may god have mercy on their souls), he is turning more and more into a bitter old fool.

:lol: You are dead on here. Madness will undoubtedly ensue!

SLD76
09-04-2011, 03:59 AM

ROLFMAO.

may as well shut the thread down now.

OrLevy
09-04-2011, 04:02 AM
Roger's view of retirement is very clear, and a little different from his peers.

Roger believe as long you can physically hit the ball (I don't want to say to the point of hurting yourself, his limit is probably a little before that) you should go on playing.

Most of his fellow players believe as you should go on playing only as long as you have a chance to win the match/give it your best effort.

Not the same at all, and that's where the critisism come from. Could Mahut not play longer against Rafa? Probably. He just realized he wouldn't win.

namelessone
09-04-2011, 04:19 AM

You sound pretty faithful to the original.

And it's probably a swipe at Djokovic :)

Humbalito hasn't retired in a match since AO 2010 if I am not mistaken.

Wilander Fan
09-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Would not be surprised if this was a slight directed at Berdych. I remember during their QF match at Wimb in 2010, Berdych was laughing and giggling like a school girl while he was winning. I think it was more due to Berdych being so happy to be winning over a player that had routinely thrashed him but Fed seemed to take it the wrong way and acted uncharacteristically irritated during the match. I remember on one point Berdych was already a set ahead and hit a drop shot winner. Fed took a step in and then waved it off as if to say it was a lucky shot. After that match there was a bit of a press conference feud between the two and then the recent win by Berdych where Fed did the phantom hand shake. There seems to be real animosity between the two players.

bezs
09-04-2011, 04:35 AM
Has Feddy ever retired from a match in his career?

SLD76
09-04-2011, 04:36 AM
no.

10retirements.

defrule
09-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Grandpa here has never retired from a single match, yet we have toddlers withdrawing left and right.

rossi46
09-04-2011, 04:49 AM
Federer is a #ock, if Rafa was to retire against "Lord" Roger in the final of RG, I am sure he wouldn't be complaining. Mr Self Righteous can't seem to keep his mouth shut, I guess it's because he can't do the talking with his racquet any longer.
And I am not a fan of either Rafa or Novak.

Ralph
09-04-2011, 04:52 AM

On the topic, he mentioned that he retired once, against James Blake in Paris, but he didn't even take to the court for the match. IIRC.

Ralph
09-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Federer is a #ock, if Rafa was to retire against "Lord" Roger in the final of RG, I am sure he wouldn't be complaining. Mr Self Righteous can't seem to keep his mouth shut, I guess it's because he can't do the talking with his racquet any longer.

Noticed how these questions are always directed at Federer? Ever stopped to consider why?

1. Because of his fame and success, and that when he speaks, people listen for good or bad.
2. Journos/interviewers know that he speaks his mind.
3. It will cause discussion, and criticism - both of him, and of those who fall under the banner of this discussion.

It's a win/win situation for the interviewers, partly because of people like yourself who will openly criticize the one person who is ALWAYS asked and ALWAYS gives his true thoughts.

rossi46
09-04-2011, 05:19 AM
Noticed how these questions are always directed at Federer? Ever stopped to consider why?

1. Because of his fame and success, and that when he speaks, people listen for good or bad.
2. Journos/interviewers know that he speaks his mind.
3. It will cause discussion, and criticism - both of him, and of those who fall under the banner of this discussion.

It's a win/win situation for the interviewers, partly because of people like yourself who will openly criticize the one person who is ALWAYS asked and ALWAYS gives his true thoughts.

There is a difference between speaking your mind, being honest etc and being an arrogant #hit, it's that simple.

Ralph
09-04-2011, 05:26 AM
There is a difference between speaking your mind, being honest etc and being an arrogant #hit, it's that simple.

There is, I agree. May I ask where in what he said was being arrogant as opposed to speaking his mind or being honest?

Personally, I can't see it, but it doesn't mean it isn't there. It's a genuine question, if you can point out where he's being arrogant, I'll take it on the chin :)

TopFH
09-04-2011, 05:30 AM

ROFL. THis is so true, and yet so funny.

Manus Domini
09-04-2011, 05:32 AM

And you're not the least bit arrogant, feeling that you can tell people what to say?

TonyB
09-04-2011, 05:32 AM

Bravo sir. Sheer genius.

Ralph
09-04-2011, 05:37 AM
I'd like to congratulate Dragon Blaze too, but I'll refrain from it until we confirm that Veroniquem doesn't add to the outpouring with something that Dragonblaze forgot.

Hope you don't mind Dragonblaze!? :)

rossi46
09-04-2011, 05:41 AM
There is, I agree. May I ask where in what he said was being arrogant as opposed to speaking his mind or being honest?

Personally, I can't see it, but it doesn't mean it isn't there. It's a genuine question, if you can point out where he's being arrogant, I'll take it on the chin :)

Talking about how he has only retired once in his career and how the other 50% who retire could finish the match. There is no need for him to say that, he always seems to feel the need to talk about how good he is, let the public be the judge of that.

Ralph
09-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Talking about how he has only retired once in his career and how the other 50% who retire could finish the match. There is no need for him to say that, he always seems to feel the need to talk about how good he is, let the public be the judge of that.

Hmmm, I kind of see where you are coming from. On the first part at least, re. him referring to his once only retirement. He need not have said it, perhaps have waited for the reporter to ask the question directly, in which case he could answer, "Just the once."

As for the other 50%, that's his opinion on others, which I feel he's entitled to. The same way you or I may have an opinion on retirements, or indeed on what Federer has had to say on the matter.

However, it is all open to interpretation/semantics. I find Ralph's behaviour on court arrogant, and far more than anything Federer says off court.

One man's tea is another man's poison!

Off court, I don't dislike Ralph. At times, I wish he was more honest in his answers. But again, different horses for different courses.

Sid_Vicious
09-04-2011, 07:55 AM
I'd like to congratulate Dragon Blaze too, but I'll refrain from it until we confirm that Veroniquem doesn't add to the outpouring with something that Dragonblaze forgot.

lol Veroniquem.. I just realized she got the banhammer.

zagor
09-04-2011, 07:58 AM

LOL if I could I'd put this whole part as my sig, well done sir.

rommil
09-04-2011, 08:13 AM

She did? Hehehehe.............:)

TMF
09-04-2011, 08:18 AM

Complete the game without retiring early is not an indication of how good you are. But it's a respect to the sport and the player(he/she deserve the moment to celebrate the match point). Spectators pay hard earn money, so the players owe them back by giving a 100%. Players should put an effort in finishing the game, even though he knows he's going to lose. That's include Nadal !

MichaelNadal
09-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Federer is a beast. It's amazing that he's never retired. Amazing.

West Coast Ace
09-04-2011, 10:58 AM
More like 'when he doesn't agree with you.'

People want the top pros to show some personality and speak out; then when they do they get ripped. Too sad.

And I happen to be a fan of Roger (avatar) but completely disagree with him. Those guys pulling the rip cord save me time of watching them half-@ss their way through the rest of the match (all 8 minutes worth in the case of Djokovic at Cincy - or the other huge one that got people's panties bunched - Henin vs. Mauresmo in the AO final).

sureshs
09-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Could be simply that Arroganto hasn't faced what others have faced due to luck or genetics. Lots of guys out there criticizing facilities for the handicapped or equating sickness with punishment for moral depravity, till they suffer themselves, and then they come up with another spin on the whole thing to make themselves look good again.

Down_the_line
09-04-2011, 11:06 AM

You certainly do a good veroniquem. :)

Hitman
09-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Federer is on the money. He has played more grand slam matches tha anyone in the game with the exception of Connors, and has not retired once while playing a match. So if anyone can make this statement, its him.

TennisandMusic
09-04-2011, 11:08 AM

What was interesting about that is it would have taken no work. Just let Murray hit 8 aces on his two remaining games, and hit 4 lollipops and let Murray hit return winners on them. Match over. I don't think he was in danger of making the injury worse so...that would have taken 5 minutes to finish.

Ralph
09-04-2011, 11:31 AM

I find that odd... She really MUST have blown a gasket this time. The amount of hatred the woman spews whenever a certain player's name is mentioned is almost verging on the psychotic. As someone once said, it's only she that will suffer from carrying such hatred of someone she knows not.

luishcorreia
09-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Fed complains about everything lately!

"anywho"...

I agree...BUT, pro players have a very demanding schedule as it is, and they need to be smart and not put at risk an entire season or part of a season...the way the rankings work also contributes to that. The ranking system rewards consistency over on great result. So its better to pull out of the us open and do a couple od 3th round's and 2 or 3 tournaments to stay in the mix.

tlm
09-04-2011, 01:46 PM

This is exactly right, fed is nothing but a bitter egomaniac hasbeen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raphael
09-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Interesting:

He certainly has a point, although its really up to each athlete to decide when its time to call it quits.

Toxicmilk
09-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Now if only Fed's backhand never retired early..
jkjk :]

Man has a point though.

Fugazi
09-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Best post of the week! And funny, too!

SoBad
09-04-2011, 07:05 PM
So now that the tennis ship has long left the station for the old baffoon, he's got nothing better to do than sit around and spew garbage about time between points and player retirements. New and refreshing.

cc0509
09-04-2011, 07:06 PM

No, are you serious? What got her banned? I notice they deleted her posts and a bunch of other posts on the Federer thread. Was it her dissing Fed's kids that did it?

West Coast Ace
09-04-2011, 07:09 PM
No, are you serious? Was it her dissing Fed's kids that did it?That's what most think did it. And someone said it's a week or two Time Out, not lifetime.

15_ounce
09-04-2011, 07:11 PM
:mrgreen:

It is very clear that Federer has been reading talk tennis forum and reacting to the posts... about retirement and time wasting...

cc0509
09-04-2011, 07:16 PM
That's what most think did it. And someone said it's a week or two Time Out, not lifetime.

She must have been banned before. This can't be the fist time. The truth is she clearly hates Federer and all of her posts reflect that but she is not unintelligent like some of the other *******s.

OddJack
09-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Interesting:

Harsh???

He says it's "unfortunate" How is that harsh???

OddJack
09-04-2011, 07:22 PM
I hope she stays out,

How can a woman hate on children?

gsharma
09-04-2011, 07:38 PM
She must have been banned before. This can't be the fist time. The truth is she clearly hates Federer and all of her posts reflect that but she is not unintelligent like some of the other *******s.

Are you implying most "*******s" are unintelligent as opposed to "*******s", who are intelligent? Your bias is despicable.

cc0509
09-04-2011, 07:43 PM
[/B]

Are you implying most "*******s" are unintelligent as opposed to "*******s", who are intelligent? Your bias is despicable.

Nope, if you read my statement correctly I said "some" *******s. To me veronique's hatred of Federer is clearly one of the worst but she is not an unintelligent person imo even though many of her posts annoy me to no end.
There are a few *******s however to me on here who post nonsense and their posts make no sense.

Also, when did I ever say all *******s were intelligent? I never said or implied that.

fed_rulz
09-04-2011, 07:51 PM

[/b]

and this is when cc0509 can say "i rest my case" :)

FedExpress 333
09-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Oh my, someone is speaking their mind in a polite way, not even mentioning any names. BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!

West Coast Ace
09-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Your bias is despicable.Lighten up, Francis. Read slower. He didn't say that.

cc0509
09-04-2011, 08:03 PM
and this is when cc0509 can say "i rest my case" :)

Thank you! You said that in much more of a succinct way than I did with my post!

TMF
09-04-2011, 10:04 PM
[/B]

cc0509 didn't say anything about "*******s", so stop being so insecure.

But since you mention it, the average age of the fed fans in here are OLDER than the Nadal fans. It's not that the nadal are unintelligent, but they lack knowledge/wisdom thus not as informative than the Fed fans. Capiche?

namelessone
09-04-2011, 10:12 PM
cc0509 didn't say anything about "*******s", so stop being so insecure.

But since you mention it, the average age of the fed fans in here are OLDER than the Nadal fans. It's not that the nadal are unintelligent, but they lack knowledge/wisdom thus not as informative than the Fed fans. Capiche?

What's "the nadal" ?

Bud
09-04-2011, 10:16 PM

Grandpa here has never retired from a single match, yet we have toddlers withdrawing left and right.

He said in the presser he had a walkover once :)

Federer is an unusual case, however. He's rarely injured and I don't believe has ever missed a tournament with an injury.

DMan
09-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Interesting:

A good point.

Federer, as always speaks his mind, and the truth!

And Possum Nadal is doing a fine job again!

TMF
09-04-2011, 10:19 PM
What's "the nadal" ?

Nadal fans.

TheTruth
09-04-2011, 11:15 PM

Too funny!

But, this is ridiculous. These journalists are getting out of control. I wonder why they are doing this stuff to Fed now? They used to not say a word, now he barely says anything and they're clowning him. Pretty sad. The quotes definitely don't fit the title.

Funny thread, both the pros and cons.

Colin
09-04-2011, 11:42 PM

It is very clear that Federer has been reading talk tennis forum and reacting to the posts... about retirement and time wasting...

Fed loves tennis, so I wouldn't be surprised if he posted on here.

Actually, I bet he pays someone to print the posts out on paper, so he can read them in a more classic fashion, laugh at the desperate trolls, and then reflect aloud for his assistant to type up and convey his philosophies, conjecture and gossip on the Internet.

15_ounce
09-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Fed loves tennis, so I wouldn't be surprised if he posted on here.

Actually, I bet he pays someone to print the posts out on paper, so he can read them in a more classic fashion, laugh at the desperate trolls, and then reflect aloud for his assistant to type up and convey his philosophies, conjecture and gossip on the Internet.

I'm sure that the fox sports australia commentator, Wally Masur, has been reading a lot of tennis forums... I can't stand him though when he just keeps saying about racquets and strings instead of the match...

Magnus
09-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Don't know if Fed is the GOAT, but he is the GOAT of sportsmanship, that's for sure. Rafa, Djoko, and the rest should ready this article, and then go look at the mirror in disgust. Fans pay tons of money just to see their heroes play, only to see them retire quickly and not caring. Nadal is the king of bad retirements, Djokovic is 2nd. Berdych is learning quickly and it simply ruins the game for spectators as well the tennis fans worldwide. Its now more than ever that this game needs Federer to stay, he needs Fed's figure for the next generation. Otherwise kids will grow up and use Nadal's time wasting habbits or Djokovic's ball bouncing habbits, and retire when its not working well for them.

Kudos Fed.

Magnus
09-05-2011, 04:07 AM
He said in the presser he had a walkover once :)

Federer is an unusual case, however. He's rarely injured and I don't believe has ever missed a tournament with an injury.

Fed never retired a match in the middle of it. At least he gave the crowd the heads up before giving them hope just to play 3 games and move away (like your buddy Rafa, who was booed to death by the crowd in the same event).

DragonBlaze
09-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Don't know if Fed is the GOAT, but he is the GOAT of sportsmanship, that's for sure. Rafa, Djoko, and the rest should ready this article, and then go look at the mirror in disgust. Fans pay tons of money just to see their heroes play, only to see them retire quickly and not caring. Nadal is the king of bad retirements, Djokovic is 2nd. Berdych is learning quickly and it simply ruins the game for spectators as well the tennis fans worldwide. Its now more than ever that this game needs Federer to stay, he needs Fed's figure for the next generation. Otherwise kids will grow up and use Nadal's time wasting habbits or Djokovic's ball bouncing habbits, and retire when its not working well for them.

Kudos Fed.

http://gamesprays.com/images/icons/lolwut-3017_preview.jpg

Nadal is most definitely NOT that. How in the world can you place Djoker second? I mean the guy almost has the retirement slam :lol:. Still he's funny so it's forgiven lol.

Although I agree Fed should be given a lot of credit for not having retired once. People like to just discredit him by saying, oh he hasn't had injury issues, he has a very fluid game etc etc. I say bull on that, the guy has had a 13 year career, he most definitely has had matches where he has gone injured or been playing in pain but he just doesn't retire. It's one of the principles he follows strictly and a fan or a hater you have got to respect that. I mean I still remember the match against Murray at the TMC 2008 where he looked like he was in major pain and still he just kept fighting and almost won the match! He could have easily retired and nobody would have questioned the move but he didn't.

namelessone
09-05-2011, 04:25 AM

Kudos Fed.

Same crap spewed without anything to back it up. Reading your post you would think Nadal and Djokovic retire every third match.

Gonna quote Benhur on this one:

"Going through the yearly ATP match record for both, you see Djokovic has 11 retirements out of a total of 488 matches (1 every 44 matches on average, or about 1.37 times per year). Nadal has 7 out of 636 (1 every 91 matches, or 0.77 times per year)."

Djokovic has/had known breathing issues, so why the hell is so unbelievable that he should retire once or twice PER YEAR(if that)?

Nadal has a style of tennis that's incredibly tough, so why the hell is it offensive to some of you that he has to retire ONCE every year and a half? You should be surprised that he doesn't retire more often.Nadal's last retirement was in January 2010, in AO.

You use a very real fact(Fed having 0 retirements, a RARITY on the tour, perhaps unique in this respect, with a game that's easy on his body) to get away with some character assassination on Nadal and Djokovic, making their one retirement per year(approximately of course), if that, look bad in comparison, when there are dozens of players out there with way more retirements.

This board is getting truly ridiculous.

DragonBlaze
09-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Too funny!

But, this is ridiculous. These journalists are getting out of control. I wonder why they are doing this stuff to Fed now? They used to not say a word, now he barely says anything and they're clowning him. Pretty sad. The quotes definitely don't fit the title.

Funny thread, both the pros and cons.

Glad you enjoyed my impersonation :), I hope the specific poster I was imitating can find the humour in it as well!

Perhaps it's because they have nothing else to write about Federer lol. Look at this link (http://www.forbes.com/wealth/celebrities#p_1_s_apressRank_). Now I don't know how much truth there is to this, but it shows that Fed's rank in terms of the press is still no. 1! Now since he isn't winning big titles anymore (or any for that matter...) but is still having so many written articles written about, they have to be about something. Thus these type of articles are becoming more and more common. That's my theory anyway :)

DragonBlaze
09-05-2011, 04:38 AM

Personally I am very disappointed she has been banned, now I can't get any feedback on my effort! :)

Thank you bery much everybody but I gotta keep working hard and try to improve, no?

jerriy
09-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Interesting:

Too harsh or does he have a point?Not harsh at all. Fed is absolutely spot on.

Soderling proved at Wimbledon, others including among the best ever like Graf, Agassi, Sampras... etc, all proved that simply running to the exit door is a cop-out.

Likewise Fed's entire career is testimony that it is a unscientific myth to "preserve" yourself by quitting. The vast majority of player "injuries" are not worth withdrawing at all. Just as the vast majority of injuries in other sports like athletics, football, basketball (you name it) do not warrant quitting either.

ClarkC
09-05-2011, 04:51 AM
What was interesting about that is it would have taken no work. Just let Murray hit 8 aces on his two remaining games, and hit 4 lollipops and let Murray hit return winners on them. Match over. I don't think he was in danger of making the injury worse so...that would have taken 5 minutes to finish.

True, and it would have added greatly to the sport to play those 12 points in the manner that you describe. Standing out there on the court without trying would have done wonders to uphold the integrity of tennis.