PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think Andy Roddick is playing some of the best tennis of his life?

kiwiconman
09-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Hasn't dropped a set yet, his serve is firing on all cylinders and he's barely making unforced errors....

Or is it because he's not faced any top-level opponents yet?

Max G.
09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
The latter. He's playing pretty well compared to how he's sometimes played at Slams recently, but it's not really "the best of his life".

Mustard
09-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Ferrer will bring this madness to an end ;)

AndyArodRoddick
Hasn't dropped a set yet, his serve is firing on all cylinders and he's barely making unforced errors....

The latter one is right, yeah.

He is playing like 2010 Miami, very simillar in terms of style, serving, volleying etc. He won 2010 Miami so...

Played pretty god damn well today agains Benneteau but well see against Ferrer.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
Far from his best, but Yes pretty good!

Cormorant
09-04-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't know OP, you got any other personalities bouncing around that brain of yours?

If not, it really is just you that thinks this is 2003.

kingdaddy41788
09-04-2011, 01:55 PM
I think he's playing quite well... Playing Ferrer will be a good test as Ferrer will really make Roddick work for the win... Hopefully he's up for it.

kishnabe
09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Ferrer is the litmus test for this....if Roddick can keep it close than he is playing well!

Hood_Man
09-04-2011, 01:58 PM
I've got nothing against Ferrer, he's a nice guy and I think it would be a dream for him to reach a French Open final, but I hope Roddick makes a good run this year. He's definitely slipping under the radar.

Sartorius
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Absolutely not.

Serve is just fine but his game more than often looks like the epitome of neutral tennis. He does come to the net occasionally but usually on weak or bad approach shots, and from the baseline he plays an almost tender kind of tennis, with a lot of floating slices and neutral strokes. Feels weird to say when the guy hit around 40 winners today but this is what Roddick's game looks like to me.

He does make a good job of it though and should beat the guys he should normally beat. But against the top players or anyone who catches fire and hit through the court I think his game will be exposed very badly. That's what almost always happened since sometime anyway.

MurrayisBEAST
09-04-2011, 02:09 PM
He's definitely playing some of the best tennis he's played in a long time, but not of his life. I bet he won't be looking as impressive when he plays Ferrer.

Bjorn99
09-04-2011, 02:12 PM
He will DESTROY Ferrer, guaranteed. The man IS playing great tennis.

AndyArodRoddick
09-04-2011, 02:14 PM
i do think he will win ferrer. NYC, home court, home crowd..all that adrenaline n stuff.

magnut
09-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Hes playing good for this year. But thats not saying very much.

His run will end with Ferrer. I hope its at least a decent match though.

Homeboy Hotel
09-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Nope.

Wimbledon 2009, or maybe one of those early 2010 HC masters would be his best 'latest' form.

luishcorreia
09-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Roddick is playing solid tennis...but he played only second level guys...I do not think he can win against any one of the top 10 right now...

Its a shame...I'm really a Roddick fan...

Defcon
09-04-2011, 02:36 PM
He hasn't faced anyone who can put any pressure on him yet. And his strokes are a far cry from the power he used to generate, although he is more consistent now.

Clarky21
09-04-2011, 02:38 PM
I thought Roddick dropped a set to Russell?

JoelDali
09-04-2011, 02:39 PM
I hope Andy chooses to play with the Cortex free racquets with PHT. He needs to abandon the Cortex for this critical match.

TopFH
09-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Didn't he drop a set vs. Russell?

Bhagi Katbamna
09-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Lost a set against Russell.
He is playing well because even against 2nd tier players, if they got Andy in a rally longer than 5 or 6 strokes, he had a 90% chance of losing. Andy was winning a majority of those today.

decades
09-04-2011, 03:17 PM

no he's just playing some of the easiest players.

kiwiconman
09-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Didn't he drop a set vs. Russell?

Oh yeah.... sorry. That slipped my mind.

Medved
09-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I always root for Andy but it sure seems to me like he got a really good draw this year. I still think the best tennis of his life was Wimbledon 2009. Andy always has a puncher's chance and I still believe that if he can get to the tiebreak or if Ferrer throws in a few double faults, he could still come out on top.

I'm begging you Andy, please step in on Ferrer's serve and take a few big cuts. Even if you hit a few balls over the backstop, show us the dominant FH we saw against Ferrero in 2003.

ubermeyer
09-04-2011, 04:01 PM
He's playing well, but not his best.

barry
09-04-2011, 06:04 PM
He has had a tough draw for him.

Played a 96 ranked, unranked, and a 81 ranked player. The draws at the U.S. open are fixed. But now Roddick has to play a 5th ranked player, we will see how he does.

Good Article
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Is-the-U-S-Open-draw-rigged-for-the-top-two-pla;_ylt=At2xeSQA4bOjFs3DuGZL1FA4v7YF?urn=ten-wp2546

Need to seed by ranking which is earned, not a bunch of people in the back rooms.

tennis_pro
09-04-2011, 06:10 PM
No. The only thing that he's still doing well is serving, the rest is in decline

Winner_DownTheLine
09-04-2011, 06:11 PM
No, he will be straight setted by Ferrer

ubermeyer
09-04-2011, 06:16 PM
He has had a tough draw for him.

Played a 96 ranked, unranked, and a 81 ranked player. The draws at the U.S. open are fixed. But now Roddick has to play a 5th ranked player, we will see how he does.

Good Article
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Is-the-U-S-Open-draw-rigged-for-the-top-two-pla;_ylt=At2xeSQA4bOjFs3DuGZL1FA4v7YF?urn=ten-wp2546

Need to seed by ranking which is earned, not a bunch of people in the back rooms.

Jack Sock is ranked 555, not unranked. I don't think an unranked player is eligible for the main draw or even the qualifying draw except if he won the pre-qualifying tournament. (Sorry if I'm nitpicking).

celoft
09-04-2011, 06:43 PM
He will probably lose to Ferrer.

Toxicmilk
09-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Typical first week of the tourney tennis from Roddick if you ask me, the way he usually deals with lower ranked players.

tangerine
09-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Anyone else think Andy Roddick is playing some of the best tennis of his life?
At this USO? Hardly. He's pacing himself very well though, posting better numbers with every match.

Week 2 will be full of landmines. Ferrer will be his biggest test. If he manages to get through Ferrer, Nadal will be waiting. After Nadal, it's basically curtains for everybody because Djokovic's winning this title.

World Beater
09-04-2011, 09:27 PM
roddick is playing well considering his form and the injuries he's had this year.

he appears to be moving really well.

he will obviously need to amp up his fh if he wants to beat ferrer. he isnt going to be able to play passive.

chatt_town
09-04-2011, 09:44 PM
I think he or anyone looks good when they are getting a bunch of free points on his serve. What I've never understood is where did this come from about his forehand being so strong. It really isn't. Isner has a big forehand. It amazes me that the people in the booth always check his serve and forehand as advantages or weapons...but when you think about it. What he use to do is serve a big bomb and then come in and put a "short" ball away with his forehand which the average 4.0 is more than capable of doing when the ball is left hanging 2 feet above the net in the middle of the service box. His backhand is not a weapon at all. So as soon as he runs into someone that can retun his serve it's basically over which is why he has slid down as far as he has. I know some don't want to let him go but I think his best years are behind him and I don't think he really ever recovered missing that high backhand volley in that tiebreak against Roger a few years back that would have put him up 2 sets to none. he's not playing bad but it's obvious that even Fish is playing better than he is. I think he's going to have to be let go of. :) <taps plays softly in backround>

Bud
09-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Ferrer will bring this madness to an end ;)

Isn't Ferrer still playing with some sort of injury though?

OddJack
09-04-2011, 09:55 PM
You cant be serious!!

Andy best tennis? Muhaaaahaa

Look at his draw for goodness sake

FD3S
09-04-2011, 09:56 PM
I think he or anyone looks good when they are getting a bunch of free points on his serve. What I've never understood is where did this come from about his forehand being so strong. It really isn't. Isner has a big forehand. It amazes me that the people in the booth always check his serve and forehand as advantages or weapons...but when you think about it. What he use to do is serve a big bomb and then come in and put a "short" ball away with his forehand which the average 4.0 is more than capable of doing when the ball is left hanging 2 feet above the net in the middle of the service box. His backhand is not a weapon at all. So as soon as he runs into someone that can retun his serve it's basically over which is why he has slid down as far as he has. I know some don't want to let him go but I think his best years are behind him and I don't think he really ever recovered missing that high backhand volley in that tiebreak against Roger a few years back that would have put him up 2 sets to none. he's not playing bad but it's obvious that even Fish is playing better than he is. I think he's going to have to be let go of. :) <taps plays softly in backround>

Now? It's not. Back a few years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qTIcn4PeE

Qubax
09-04-2011, 09:58 PM
You know, he isn't playing much different then he was in 09' when he went to the Wimbly final.

He is about a coin flip against Ferrer...

...if he gets through that he is about a 35/65 underdog to Nadal(only remaining sorta close on the odds because Nadal always breaks down this time of year)

...if he gets past Rafa(unlikely) then Muzza will tool bag him.

My original post in the Roddick US Open breakdown thread lists how his tournament will go. It's been pretty bang on so far.

dcdoorknob
09-04-2011, 10:09 PM
You know, he isn't playing much different then he was in 09' when he went to the Wimbly final.

No, sorry, he's still playing quite a bit different than then. He didn't come withing a hairs breadth of winning that title by scrambling from 10 feet behind the baseline in the majority of rallies.

chatt_town
09-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Now? It's not. Back a few years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qTIcn4PeE

I'm sorry....I still don't see it. It's a consistent ball, but the reality is it was not a threat from the baseline for the most part. I'm sure he's cranked a few winners in his time but when i see Isner hit a forehand about a foot on one side or the other of the T and the guy still can't get his raquet on it....that's a forehand that you want no parts of. I've never seen that out of Roddick. Most guys that return well normally have no problems beating him because they can beat him off the ground as well. I still have a VHS tape I never recorded over where Fed would basically chip his serve back short and then go to work off the ground and beat him up pretty bad which was an indication he was not worried about Andy's forehand. he returned everything inside the service box.

Qubax
09-04-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm sorry....I still don't see it. It's a consistent ball, but the reality is it was not a threat from the baseline for the most part. I'm sure he's cranked a few winners in his time but when i see Isner hit a forehand about a foot on one side or the other of the T and the guy still can't get his raquet on it....that's a forehand that you want no parts of. I've never seen that out of Roddick. Most guys that return well normally have no problems beating him because they can beat him off the ground as well. I still have a VHS tape I never recorded over where Fed would basically chip his serve back short and then go to work off the ground and beat him up pretty bad which was an indication he was not worried about Andy's forehand. he returned everything inside the service box.

Your right no doubt about it.

And Sock ranked on the wrong side of #500 hit waaaay bigger then Roddick. So do most of the women.

This can often however, when you look at the HOF calibre career Andy's put together - have little impact on the outcome of a given match.

Evan77
09-04-2011, 11:04 PM
is this a joke?

chatt_town
09-05-2011, 08:24 AM
is this a joke?

The previous messages aren't....Roddick's forehand is a joke. :) He has put together a hof career. I never disputed that. I think the fact that he stayed in the top 10 for so long should make him a hofer....but he has under achieved.

Cfidave
09-05-2011, 08:36 AM
You can't possibly judge how Roddick is really playing, since he has not played anyone in the top 50. Typical US Open Draw for Roddick, happens every year. All Roddick has had to do to win is serve well and keep the ball in play. That won't be enough against Ferrer, that will be a much better indicater of how he is really playing.

Mike Sams
09-05-2011, 08:43 AM
One of the last exceptional performances I remember from Roddick was Miami 2010 against Nadal. Roddick was being bullied all over the court, trying to just push balls and was paying for it dearly. Then suddenly he turned into Robo-Roddick and started blasting his forehand! It was a sight to behold regarding the transformation mid-match!
If he gets through Ferrer and meets Nadal in the QF, it could be an epic. Depending on which Roddick shows up of course.:)

chatt_town
09-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for him. Ferrer hits too many balls and goes from defence to offense naturally. Roddick has to have someone **** him off or something. I think he's gonna get ripped. I wish him the best as an American but I have to be realistic with this. When folks in the booth say things like "lets see which Roddick shows up"...they are basically saying that he's gonna get ripped but if they want to keep their jobs they have to go on record to pull for him. :)

You can't possibly judge how Roddick is really playing, since he has not played anyone in the top 50. Typical US Open Draw for Roddick, happens every year. All Roddick has had to do to win is serve well and keep the ball in play. That won't be enough against Ferrer, that will be a much better indicater of how he is really playing.

kiwiconman
09-08-2011, 01:21 PM
So what were you skeptics saying about A.Rod now?

Please carry on :)

CCNM
09-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I think he might have a chance.

Medved
09-08-2011, 01:56 PM
So what were you skeptics saying about A.Rod now?

Please carry on :)

I'm surprised, pleasantly surprised. Way to go Andy, we'll all be pulling for you against Nadal. Please go for it, hit or miss, just go for it.

luishcorreia
09-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Yeah... not one thought that we would win over Ferrer.

But watching the match you could see andy more close to the baseline..and ferrer was the one playing far behind the court... it was surprising.

Very well played..

Sartorius
09-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Absolutely not.

Serve is just fine but his game more than often looks like the epitome of neutral tennis. He does come to the net occasionally but usually on weak or bad approach shots, and from the baseline he plays an almost tender kind of tennis, with a lot of floating slices and neutral strokes. Feels weird to say when the guy hit around 40 winners today but this is what Roddick's game looks like to me.

He does make a good job of it though and should beat the guys he should normally beat. But against the top players or anyone who catches fire and hit through the court I think his game will be exposed very badly. That's what almost always happened since sometime anyway.

...Yeah. I'm quoting myself. I think it's the right time to do it.

teAlexis
09-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Looks like he can only win points on his second serve. :twisted:

Otherside
09-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Epic Fail thread:)

magnut
09-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Roddick want thread deleted

zagor
09-09-2011, 03:44 PM
This was still a good tournament for him at this stage of his career. Losing to Nadal badly doesn't change the fact that he reached QF which hasn't happened for a while(in the last 4-5 slams).

The biggest problem is that I think his serve lost some bite, I don't think he ever had the best placement on tour but a strong combination of pace and spin enabled him a lot of free points on his serve no matter whom he was playing. These days his serve doesn't seem as overwhelming as before.

Defcon
09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
The problem with Roddick is he's just not very good. He has a good serve and had a powerful forehand which is long since gone. His only real strength apart from serve is consistency. Which is not good enough.

Everything else is mediocre - terrible mover, terrible decision maker, no tactics or strategy, beyond terrible moving forward and volleying, zero return game.

Getting this far is exceeding expectations for him. He apparently will not or cannot work on his weaknesses. The serve is going to matter less now that all surfaces are slow, so its lights out for Roddick.

Bjorn99
09-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Congrats to the few people who like myself saw him beating Ferrer badly. As usual the majority are always wrong. Same for the stock market.

monique s
09-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Congrats to the few people who like myself saw him beating Ferrer badly. As usual the majority are always wrong. Same for the stock market.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-09-09/201109091315610164653.html

Andy was injured and had nothing left in the tank. Not enough matches and preparaton.
Nadal had it very easy all tournament.Hope he loses to Murray.

Sid_Vicious
09-09-2011, 05:24 PM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-09-09/201109091315610164653.html

Andy was injured and had nothing left in the tank. Not enough matches and preparaton.
Nadal had it very easy all tournament.Hope he loses to Murray.

Way to be bitter. Roddick had the easiest draw imaginable up until the Round of 16. One tough opponent and all of a sudden he was dying out there? yeah right. :lol:

Nadal gave Roddick a spanking. Deal with it.

achokshi99
09-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Ferrer would have beaten arod if his wrist wasn't hurting.,

magnut
09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Yesterday Roddick top of the world :)

Today Roddick bottom of the barrel :cry:

Yesterday Roddick give America hope :shock:

Today Roddick become Will Ferrell :oops:

Rjtennis
09-09-2011, 08:44 PM
The only real player he beat was ferrer, that suprised me. Roddick has one foot in the tennis grave yard right now. His game has been pretty passive and vulnerable all season. I predict he is in the low 30's ranking wise at the end of next season.

Rjtennis
09-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Arod gave very little effort against nadal. He would have lost anyway but that was just embarrasing.

magnut
09-09-2011, 09:00 PM
It looks like his game has just become stale. He really needs to change things up a bit. Maybe make his game more efficient to conserve energy. I still think he has some great tennis in him. Almost every player at the elite level has had to do this as they get into there later career. Andy just seems content to play the same way.

In truth though. He looked pretty spent today. Ferrer and Nadal back to back best of five is a really tall task. Sure there are things he could have done differently and he should have. I think Andy just resorted in putting in a good effort midway through the match. I give him credit for finishing the match because a younger Andy would have defaulted. It was kind of sad how embarassed he was after his performance and I felt for him. This comes from someone who really isnt a big Roddick fan. He competes though.

Its on tennis channel right now and king of commentary Mats Wilander has a completely different take on the match than what I heard from Blowhorn McEnroe today. Very interesting stuff as usual from Mats.

thor's hammer
09-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Arod gave very little effort against nadal. He would have lost anyway but that was just embarrasing.

Nadal is back to his God-like self. There were a lot of points Roddick played pretty well, but Nadal played better, and ended things with a cracking winner! Not too many can hold up to that kind of constant assault.

Now replace "Andy Roddick" with "Roger Federer" in the title and you've got a thread.

Let's just hope the Fed that's been marching through the rounds makes it to the final against a similar, in-form Nadal. Could be an epic match a la Wimbledon 2008!

TheTruth
09-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Its on tennis channel right now and king of commentary Mats Wilander has a completely different take on the match than what I heard from Blowhorn McEnroe today. Very interesting stuff as usual from Mats.

I have that on tape (TTC). I always watch both broadcasts for contrast. Can't wait to see Mat's take on the match.

I also agree with you about Andy staying on court. That's the one thing I do respect about him. As far as tennis-wise, he takes his lumps, doesn't make excuses, and fights his heart out. That's his only saving grace in my book.

magnut
09-09-2011, 11:08 PM
I have that on tape (TTC). I always watch both broadcasts for contrast. Can't wait to see Mat's take on the match.

I also agree with you about Andy staying on court. That's the one thing I do respect about him. As far as tennis-wise, he takes his lumps, doesn't make excuses, and fights his heart out. That's his only saving grace in my book.

Yup. As hard as I am on Andy he is a worker. I have never seen him not compete hard. Its probably one of the most frustrating things about him. He competes really well but just makes bad decisions on court. So stuborn.

Tennis_Monk
09-10-2011, 02:26 AM
(I think Roddick would have beaten Murray. Isner wasn't away from it)

DO you really think that?. In my opinion, it wouldnt have mattered for Roddick whether he played Murray or Nadal. Either played would have beat him handily with the way he was playing yesterday.

Isner was serving some serious bombs and Jisner FH was sharp against Murray. AROD isnt anywhere close to that form yesterday.

cc0509
09-10-2011, 03:07 AM
(I think Roddick would have beaten Murray. Isner wasn't away from it)

LOLLLLL! Is that a joke? I sure hope so. Not a chance would Roddick have defeated Murray.