PDA

View Full Version : for retired pros like.....

tnkGod4tns
07-07-2005, 10:05 AM
sampras and the likes, how often do you think they play tennis within a week or if they even still play and if so who do they call to hit some balls. I'm figuring they won't just go to a club or the public park just to hit with anybody. Just a thought.

Kevin Patrick
07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Sampras doesn't play at all anymore. I've seen numerous interviews in which he said he left everything he had on the court & doesn't really have an interest in casual tennis. He doesn't even watch it. He plays a lot of golf & poker.
But, he lives in LA, so if he wanted to hit, he could hit with many pros or the UCLA team.
Connors was the same way after he left the senior tour, but he seems to have come around again(doing commentary at Wimbledon)

A D
07-07-2005, 10:32 AM
sampras and the likes, how often do you think they play tennis within a week or if they even still play and if so who do they call to hit some balls. I'm figuring they won't just go to a club or the public park just to hit with anybody. Just a thought.

I often wonder the same thing too.
After they retire, I wonder if the hard-felt reality that they can't compete anymore is too harsh that they quit the sport all-together, aside from face we know to hear and see on television, magazines articles, etc.

Then they resolve to instructing, then that becomes depressing because everytime they explain something they think about the Opens again.
Then it's time to go home, take out the Johnny Walker from the cabinet, slip a few cubes in the glass, and reminisce once more until it gets to the point when they realize life is continual and its time to really move on.

Times like these that I appreciate Agassi is still playing...

newnuse
07-07-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't think any of the pro's will completely walk away from tennis. They might for the first few years, but I think the bug will eventually bite them again. It wouldn't surprise me if Sampras would play on the senior tour or some exhibitions.

Did any of them ever completely walk away from it?

Pushmaster
07-07-2005, 10:41 AM
I find it a bit odd that some players like Sampras stop playing tennis almost entirely once they retire. I guess once you've competed at the highest level for a number of years anything less would be kinda boring, but man it's still a great way to stay in shape even playing recreationally.

Verbal_Kint
07-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Lendl isn't playing anymore, is he?

A D
07-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Lendl went off on a spiritual journey to take anger lessons and hasn't been seen since.

Kevin Patrick
07-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Lendl had pretty severe back problems that caused his retirement. Didn't stop him from having a go at the PGA, though.
Edberg kept a pretty low profile after retirement as well. His exhibition with Becker at Queen's in '03 was the first time he played in public in many years.

I understand what some of you are saying, but I think it's kinda cool to just completely walk away from the game. No one ever plays football, basketball, or baseball once they retire(totally different circumstances, I know)
Plus tennis isn't golf where you can play it decently almost indefinitely. Age diminishes everything. It's nice to see oldtimers play once in a while, but it also makes youngsters watching think they weren't ever that good (watching Vilas, Nastase & other overweight, over 50 players can be a bit sad)

new_west
07-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Lendl made all of his daughters take on Golf, and I've heard he is an avid golfer. I did read in an interview that once in a while he hits with them on the home courts.
Sampras, according to his official site (petesampras.com) he joined Sharapova and some others at a Legacy Villas Desert Smash for the Gullikson Foundation. Does anyone have any pics of that or information? I've tried searching.. can't find anything.
Also Courier mentioned that Sampras expressed some interest about the Senior tour.

Bertchel Banks
07-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Sampras doesn't play at all anymore. I've seen numerous interviews in which he said he left everything he had on the court & doesn't really have an interest in casual tennis.

Just as I suspected, no love for the game. Pete was only interested in getting his name in the history books. Loser. No wonder his game was so brutal. The quickest way to victory by any means. Hit big serve and aim for the tiebreak, don't even bother trying to break your opponent.

Doesn't Lendl have an academy in Connecticut.

PusherMan
07-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Just as I suspected, no love for the game. Pete was only interested in getting his name in the history books. Loser. No wonder his game was so brutal. The quickest way to victory by any means. Hit big serve and aim for the tiebreak, don't even bother trying to break your opponent.

I think it takes more than a love of history to win 14 slams, but we're all entitled to an opinion.

new_west
07-07-2005, 06:50 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/championstour/news/stories/london04_tuesday2.asp

Stuck
07-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Sampras quit the game because he dedicated his entire life to it untill the age of 26 or so. He found a new life in a family and other things and that is why his game started to slip. Let the guy do whatever he wants, he has more slams than anyone, he has the right I believe.

Max G.
07-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Just as I suspected, no love for the game.

And I shall disagree - it takes more love for the game than you will ever have to stay as disciplined and as focused for over a decade as Sampras did.

Pete was only interested in getting his name in the history books. Loser.

On the contrary, people who are interested in getting their name in the history books - and do so successfully - are generally known as "WINNERS." Which is what Sampras was.

No wonder his game was so brutal. The quickest way to victory by any means.

Exactly! The quickest way to victory - the best game. I applaud both Sampras and the coaches who shaped his game when he was just a wee junior.

Hit big serve and aim for the tiebreak, don't even bother trying to break your opponent.

That's patently untrue - Sampras got his share of breaks. It wasn't as many as the top returners in the game, naturally, but it was enough.

What I can tell from your post is that you couldn't stand watching Sampras's style of play and are trying to extend that to his character. Heck - you're CRITICIZING him for being good!
No wonder his game was so brutal. The quickest way to victory by any means.

Now, I don't presume to know what Sampras thinks - but frankly, I can see how he would want to step out of the game after he was done with the tour.

Remember - he spent his LIFE up to that point on tennis. From a young age, he was most likely practicing daily for multiple hours. And he managed to stay more focused on tennis throughout his career than virtually any other player out there. He accomplished virtually everything there was to accomplish, besides winning the French open..

If you don't think it took "love for the game" to keep his tunnel vision on tennis for as long as he did, I'm going to have to disagree with you. And then when his time was up, he was done. He left everything he had on court during his career, and I can see how there's nothing left for after it is done.

Actually, according to the link that new_west posted, Sampras is apparently thinking about the Champions tour - he does miss the game after all... but whether or not he follows through on that, I don't think your criticisms are founded.

AndrewD
07-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I can understand why they need to leave the game behind, at least for an extended period of time. I played professional Australian Rules for around 12 years and when I retired I had absolutely no desire to stay in touch with the game. It's taken me 3 years to actually go and watch a match, not because I don't, deep down, love the sport but because I needed to have enough time away to start enjoying it again. Also, I didn't want to be one of those guys that just hangs around because they're just not willing to let go. You've got to go off and find a new identity for yourself. It might eventually be to do with the sport or something completely different but you've got to give yourself the chance to not get stuck in a rut.

Sampras is in the position, financially, to do that. I'd be very surprised if, in a year of two he doesn't return to the game in some capacity or another. Id hope he does because I think it would benefit American tennis enormously to have him involved, especially in a coaching capacity. Here in Australia we lost guys like Laver, Rosewall, Emerson, Stolle, Hoad etc when they retired (they all ended up in the States) and our tennis system has never really recovered.

edge
07-07-2005, 09:16 PM

He had an indoor tennis club called, "Grand Slam Tennis," but he has since sold it.

joesixtoe
07-07-2005, 09:35 PM
when sampras, and agassi go on the delta tours, i think that might just bring in more crowds than the atp tours?? thats if they ever go,, i know i'll be watching them if they do

TwistServe
07-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Sampras doesn't play at all anymore. I've seen numerous interviews in which he said he left everything he had on the court & doesn't really have an interest in casual tennis. He doesn't even watch it. He plays a lot of golf & poker.
But, he lives in LA, so if he wanted to hit, he could hit with many pros or the UCLA team.
Connors was the same way after he left the senior tour, but he seems to have come around again(doing commentary at Wimbledon)

Wow so if Pete doesnt play anymore, then why did he play at all? He only played for the money, endourcements, fame, and the girls huh... Now that he has money, fame, endourcements, and a wife, he can move on and do other stuff.

Bertchel Banks
07-08-2005, 11:33 AM
And I shall disagree - it takes more love for the game than you will ever have to stay as disciplined and as focused for over a decade as Sampras did.

We'll have to disagree then. Pete himself said he was playing to win Grand Slam titles, that Grand Slam titles was his main focus.

Michael Jordan played for love of the game. Of course he wanted to win championships, which competitive athlete doesn't? But he made it clear how much he loved basketball, unlike Pete's "I'm playing for the slams." You could see the joy in Jordan's eyes, and the style in his game when he played. Sure he could have droned his way to the finals hitting straight shots, but no, he was playing out of love for the game first and foremost. Roger Federer is the same way, you can see the joy radiating from within.

You never get this feeling when watching Pete. "The slams are my #1 priority." "Yoy give the press too much access." Someone with a GOAT's talent coupled with love for their craft should've relished the opportunity to succeed where they have had the most trouble (see Serena Williams at 02 RG).

Andy Hewitt
07-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Lendl isn't playing anymore, is he?
seriously... um... that sig.... yeah...

peter
07-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Edberg kept a pretty low profile after retirement as well. His exhibition with Becker at Queen's in '03 was the first time he played in public in many years.

Stefan still plays and practices though - last I heard he trains tennis atleast three times a week (2003) and plays 3-4 exhibition matches/year.

And a couple of years ago (when he lived in London) he used to act as a sparring partner to Henman and Rusedski.

I found one article that claims that Stefan Edberg now plays squash (and even has participated in a squash league in Stockholm (2002) - where he
won in straight sets against some poor blokes :-)

Stefan Edberg - Henrik Eriksson 9-5 9-0 9-2
Stefan Edberg - Jacob Mattsson 9-0 9-1 9-2