PDA

View Full Version : Could there possibly be any connection between Wimbledon and what happened in London?

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 11:38 AM
First of all, I'd like to offer my thoughts, prayers, sympathies, and condolences to those that lost their lives in the bombings today in London, and to their families and friends.

But the parallels are freaking me out a little bit. 9/11 happened in New York just a couple of days after the US Open ended in New York. Now, this happens in London just a few days after Wimbledon ended in London. Could this just be purely a coincidence? Yes, I know all about the G8 meeting. Do the terrorists even know what a Grand Slam tennis tournament is?

I know this post is off the wall, but like I said, as a big tennis fan, the coincidence is just freaking me out a little bit.

morganman
07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Isn't it a little more weird that it happened the day after london got picked to host the 2012 olympics or the fact that the G8 meeting is going on just a few hundred miles away i dont think anyone cares about tennis enough to kill dozens of people and injure hundreds but i could be wrong see it just shows federer just causes trouble ;)

PusherMan
07-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Interesting theory, but these cowardly acts have nothing to do with tennis.

Jack Romeo
07-07-2005, 11:51 AM
i don't think there's any connection between the bombings and wimbledon. it definitely had more to do with the g8 summit. also, the attacks seem to have been very organized. this would have required elaborate planning well in advance. so i think even if the olympics were awarded to paris or new york, london would still have been the victim of these attacks.

alan-n
07-07-2005, 11:57 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with sporting related activities. If it did, they would have attacked a major sporting event already... that would have done way more damage.

Justine Fanatic
07-07-2005, 11:57 AM
I unfortunately got caught up in it. Thank god I wasn't hurt, but I was amongst all the pandemonium at Liverpool Street. I was in the station where everyone was screaming and there was just pure hysteria! I wasn't on the tube line that the bomb went off - I was on another tube line! Very scary and I'm still in shock.

We were all talking in the office today and we all were expecting it at some point but it still came as a shock when it did happen!!

I don't think it had anything to do with the tennis. It's strange... one day we are all elated by the Olympics and the next day ..... carnage!! What a strange and horrible world we live in!

Peace!

tricky nicky
07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
hi guys,

there is chaos in London.......I grew up there and have a few friends who say it's everyman for himself in terms of getting home from work..un licenced taxi cab drivers are naming their price for a long distance commuter to get back home.

the whole thing is pure evil plain and simple.

I dont think there is any co incidence....the mayor said ages ago "one day someone will get through.it's inevitable"

I really feel for those families who were normal and happy this morning but are now heartbroken and destroyed.

who ever said life aint easy...........hit the nail on the head as far as the recent terrorist atrocity's are concerned..........I cant begin to imagine how I would cope with such an unexpected loss.

regards,

tricky.

FedererUberAlles
07-07-2005, 12:19 PM
It has nothing to do with tennis, try thinking of something else for a change (other than tennis).

A D
07-07-2005, 12:24 PM
This reminds me of the 10 signs you're a racquet junkie thread.

Not everything centers around tennis.

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 12:29 PM
I agree that this couldn't have had anything to do with the Olympics since this elaborate of a plan would have required months of planning, well before anyone could have known that London would be selected. So, no, we can't blame the French this time.

Justine and nicky,
Sorry to hear that you're both going through this turmoil and tough time right now. Good luck and we pray for you. Glad to hear neither of you were hurt, though.

Feņa14
07-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Yes I think it's all about the G8, Terrorists want to disrupt the leaders through regular working class people.

If they wanted it to be about the Olympics they would of done it a few days earlier to stop London getting the games.

I live about an hour away so thankfully I didn't have any problems but I know some people who have.

Whats the world coming to.

alan-n
07-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Terrorist believe it or not are tyring to get maximum exposure with relatively small amount of lives (compared to atomic bombs, chemical weapons, or long term death from polutants / defoliants). The worlds attention was on London as it was selected for the 2012 Olympics... the G8 summit... etc, the world's eyes were on London and that definitely made London citizens a target sadly.

Don Felder
07-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I'm loving the people who are speculating that they only got bombed because of London's winning olympic bid. That is a bunch of crap. Operations like these take months, even years of meticulous, careful planning by the nefarious perpetrators. I don't think they made plans for every possible Olympic contender. Can't you just see it now?

Terrorist Leader: "Arghhhh! Shiver me timbers! Cancel those suicide bombers and burn the thousands of blueprints we made for Paris, London got the Olympics! Goto plan B!"

The G8 summit clearly has everything to do with the terrorists' choice.

divito
07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
No one can really speculate the purpose. It really could be any number of things.

fedex27
07-07-2005, 01:55 PM
if it had anythign to do with wimby then it would have happended during wimby

Kobble
07-07-2005, 01:57 PM
How about the date 7/07/05? Also, I was doing leg raises today on a bar, which my hands start to slip by six reps(rarely get to eight before having to re-grip). Guess what? My numbers were 7,7,7,5, and then I quit because I was getting blisters. I kid you not.

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Yes, I agree it's because of the G8 summit. I mean the terrorists already think that the modern world and infidels are the root of all evil. I hope this coincidence is just that, a coincidence, and that they don't also think that tennis is the root of all evil.

A D
07-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Here's my take:

Terrorists are terrorists because of what they do.
But it's merely a term.
They are people, like you and me. But unfortunately, it has come to this measure they feel is most effective. However, of course, in this modern time and era, it yields anti-productive results.

Evil begets evil. (and I laugh when Bush uses that term loosely)
NO, I don't condone that this method will help their cause.
Terror in the past was quite effective(I'm sure it originated in Europe, ironic isn't it?) if my history lessons prove correct. And it was a quick resolve to any political discrepancies.

No, Wimbledon had nothing to do with it, otherwise as noted before, it would have been carried out then.
And although something like this may take months of planning and coordinating, I don't think they decided on the date until recently. (It would only take a mole to leak that information to government agencies-and then plan spoiled).
I think, using modern technologies like email, they chose that particular morning because it is a suitable time-hint, hint-Olympic bid. It would only take a matter of a few minutes to coordinate the TIME of attack.
It's just too great a coincidence.

gugafanatic
07-07-2005, 02:48 PM
The world is no longer a safe place to live in. It proves that despite the British intelligence and security in London being on high alert, such a catastrophy can still occur.

Dr.Lobster
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
who could possibly hate wimbledon?

Ronaldo
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
If you look for a co-incedence, Venus Williams won the singles title on 9/9/2001 and was traveling by air either the 10th or 11th alone. She wrote a brief piece about this and now, 2005, Venus wins Wimbledon 5 days before these bombings. Has to give one pause about travel. Serena won the US Open on 9/11/1999.

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 02:58 PM
If you look for a co-incedence, Venus Williams won the singles title on 9/9/2001 and was traveling by air either the 10th or 11th alone. She wrote a brief piece about this and now, 2005, Venus wins Wimbledon 5 days before these bombings. Has to give one pause about travel. Serena won the US Open on 9/11/1999.

Are you saying the terrorists hate the Williams sisters and were, in fact, attempting to take them out?

PusherMan
07-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Ok, guys, let's be somewhat serious about this matter. People did die today. Show some class.

raftermania
07-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Marat Safin

A D
07-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Marat Safin

way to kill a thread.

TheGreatBernie
07-07-2005, 04:28 PM
The world is no longer a safe place to live in. It proves that despite the British intelligence and security in London being on high alert, such a catastrophy can still occur.

I remember hearing that London has cameras on every street corner. Is that still true? If so, They gotta have the tape of the culprits.

Stuck
07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
London indeed has more surveilance cameras than any other city in the world. We'll catch those dirt balls and give them what they deserve

Phil
07-07-2005, 06:55 PM
First of all, I'd like to offer my thoughts, prayers, sympathies, and condolences to those that lost their lives in the bombings today in London, and to their families and friends.

But the parallels are freaking me out a little bit. 9/11 happened in New York just a couple of days after the US Open ended in New York. Now, this happens in London just a few days after Wimbledon ended in London. Could this just be purely a coincidence? Yes, I know all about the G8 meeting. Do the terrorists even know what a Grand Slam tennis tournament is?

I know this post is off the wall, but like I said, as a big tennis fan, the coincidence is just freaking me out a little bit.

Probably the absolute dumbest "theory" yet, and this from someone who "has more Ivy degrees than I have brain cells"...!!!!

We can only speculate at this point-even the UK and US intelligence agencies don't know the story yet (no surprises there), but if there was ANY event during which the terrorists who did this planned around, it would have been the G-8 Summit in Scotland. The leaders of some of the most powerful countries in the world...in the same country...a MESSAGE maybe? As in, "Next time we'll get CLOSER to you-we can, you know...but for now, we're happy to just blow-up dozens of random people on your streets, in broad daylight..."

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Hey Phil,
Did I call this a "theory"? I did say it's just a coincidence, didn't I? And I did say my post was "off the wall", didn't I? Besides, this is a TENNIS forum, isn't it? So I was thinking in tennis terms or else no need to even mention this tragedy in a TENNIS forum, is there? I was trying to get a discussion going in a TENNIS forum. That's why we're here isn't it? To discuss the matters of the day as it relates to the sport of tennis?

The fact of the matter is, it is a coincidence that these two major terrorist attacks occured right after the conclusion of two major tennis tournaments in their respective cities. Are you now going to tell me that my calendar is wrong or that Flushing Meadow is not in the vicinity of New York City or that Wimbledon is not in the vicinity of London?

If you think I'm that dumb, then you must be dumber than me!

Phil
07-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Hey Phil,
Did I call this a "theory"? I did say it's just a coincidence, didn't I? And I did say my post was "off the wall", didn't I? Besides, this is a TENNIS forum, isn't it? So I was thinking in tennis terms or else no need to even mention this tragedy in a TENNIS forum, is there? I was trying to get a discussion going in a TENNIS forum. That's why we're here isn't it? To discuss the matters of the day as it relates to the sport of tennis?

The fact of the matter is, it is a coincidence that these two major terrorist attacks occured right after the conclusion of two major tennis tournaments in their respective cities. Are you now going to tell me that my calendar is wrong or that Flushing Meadow is not in the vicinity of New York City or that Wimbledon is not in the vicinity of London?

If you think I'm that dumb, then you must be dumber than me!

Well, Bkpt, I didn't say that YOU were dumb (after all, you have more Ivy League degrees than I have brain cells, and even with my diminished mental capacity, that's still purty much, heh, heh...). However, making the CONNECTION between Tennis (????) and the attacks in NYC and London is pretty dumb, regardless of the dates. Wimbledon was over for days before this happened. I'm sure that if you looked hard enough you would find other "coincidences" that occured on or around the dates of both attacks.

But you're still kinda pushing this, aren't you...

"I hope this coincidence is just that, a coincidence, and that they don't also think that tennis is the root of all evil."

I suppose that was a joke, though, on your part, right?

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 09:33 PM
"I hope this coincidence is just that, a coincidence, and that they don't also think that tennis is the root of all evil."

I suppose that was a joke, though, on your part, right?

Of course, it was a joke. I mean, I don't think Roger Federer is mentioned in the Koran (Quran) is he? (Although some do consider him a God.) ;)

bertrevert
07-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Let's not forget that sports events offer unique opportunities for these kinds of attacks - the Munich Olympics being the big one. The combustible mixture of world media attention and crowds offer terrorists their chance.

It's a valid question to ask -- though this thread should be in another section, not pro-player -- but I don't think Wimbledon nor the Olympic bid were to do with it. This is a rush-hour attack on an ordinary day.

But sport is responding, see here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/4660937.stm

fjgarciap
07-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Tennis has nothing to do with this attack, and I think the G8 summit has not either. There are far more complex politic, historic, ethnic and religious concerns here. Since "the western crusaders" (as the muslim fundamentalists call the U.S. and it's allies: UK, Spain, etc.) deployed military campaigns against targets on the arabic world (being Afghanistan and Irak the most recent ones), the hate from the common arabic population against non-muslims has grown. Islam is a militant religion, and a big percentage of its followers who are on the radical, extremist and fundamentalist wing of it truly believe they have the sacred obligation to die for their beliefs. Terrorist leaders as Bin Laden, Al-Zarqawi and others take hand of this to recruit suicide people and attack innocents.

The bombings in London were announced by the terrorists, as were the ones that killed people in Madrid also, as were all the terrorist acts occured until now (kidnappings, beheadings, car-bombings, etc.). They have recently announced strikes on Italy and Denmark, let's hope the authorities on these countries catch them up before they deploy them.

A D
07-08-2005, 10:34 AM
London indeed has more surveilance cameras than any other city in the world. We'll catch those dirt balls and give them what they deserve

I believe they may be dead too.