PDA

View Full Version : Prince Air handles wheres the beef?

Robert Jones
04-27-2004, 12:33 PM
I took apart a freinds Prince stick and looked at the AIR handle.

Is this thing a lie? Its suppose to let air through to cool your hand but the thing is all wrapped up with clear tape. No air can get through the slit on each side. If I puncture the tape then maybe it would work. Is this thing all gimmick?

Also was wondering where all the handle weight comes from? Its hollow and the sides appear thin. Is it made of plastic or metal?
There has to be some weight since it does give a head light balance point of 10 or so.

BreakPoint
04-27-2004, 12:56 PM
I don't think the Air handle was meant to let air through to cool your hand. Where did you even get that idea from? I believe it's meant to allow racquet vibrations dissipate in the air gap so that it's not transmitted to the handle and then to your hand. I hope you don't also think that Nike's "Zoom Air" is meant to let air through the shoes to cool you feet! :lol: :roll:

BHud
04-27-2004, 05:01 PM
IMHO, air handles blow! :lol: They intergrate "More" technology to supposedly create better feel...and then completely negate it by severly dampening the handle...I don't get it?? :?

fastdunn
04-27-2004, 05:16 PM
I once took the air handle apart and I did not see any
tape job. It was the handle of AirLaunch.
I did that on two of them and both handle did not have
tape jobs.
I would contact Prince if you're concerned...

lesko
04-27-2004, 10:52 PM
I also remember reading about air handles providing ventilation and when I took the grip off a More Response, I saw the clear tape. If you had a perforated grip without the clear tape, I suppose it would work. Seems like another useless gimmick.

Robert Jones
04-28-2004, 12:51 AM
When I purchased my More Precision they showed arrows on how the air flowed thru the handle. So yes they did use it as a selling point. Its not why I bought the stick though.

My hands don't swet much so I really don't care. I was just curious if it was just false advertising by Prince. Looks to be the case.

I dunno I don't really notice anything bad about the air handle. The shape is all I care about. I get plenty of vibrations, too much so I don't know what people are talking about when they say its too dampened. They probably had to cut some vibration as it has no grommets. Everyone would be complaining of sore arms.

I don't think the Air handle was meant to let air through to cool your hand. Where did you even get that idea from? I believe it's meant to allow racquet vibrations dissipate in the air gap so that it's not transmitted to the handle and then to your hand. I hope you don't also think that Nike's "Zoom Air" is meant to let air through the shoes to cool you feet! :lol: :roll:

ps 6.0
04-29-2004, 12:29 AM
The air handle was actually meant for comfort not to air out the handle from sweat and all. It was actually meant to be used as a vibration control to minimalize feedback and reduce the jarring and the pinging in your arm when you strike a ball. To me that's what really took away from the MORE Precision and the NXG Graphite MID. If they had a standard grip like the Diablo they would play so much better. Have you ever tried putting a vibe on a racket with an air handle? It feels absolutely hideous. Almost as if the stringbed itself were detatched from the handle. Most people tell me that i should just take off the vibe dampener, but then it just gets pingy.

Robert Jones
04-30-2004, 08:43 AM
I do have a dampener on the precision. I think I'm just use to it so it does not bother me. I know enough people complain about the air handle that it can't be all in their heads.

When I hit other sticks if anything they feel more dampened than the precision. But I tend to like stiff strings. Maybe the stiff strings give me more feel. I also have the diablo MP and It feels more dampened vs the Precision. I think thats from the grommets and softer flex 63 vs 66.

Anyway I'm one of the people that is not put off by the air handle.

Swan Song
05-01-2004, 02:55 PM
I know of the Air Handle and I think it's sort of gimmicky(I've only hit with an Air(NXG) for about 5min), but as long as they don't get rid of POG, Prince will still be fine.