PDA

View Full Version : does gut make a big enough difference to justify the price?

lendl lives
02-24-2004, 01:34 PM
...the price and hassel...

I've never played gut even when I was playing regularly and at the 4.5-5.0 level.

Do you guys at that level or above feel it makes enough of difference to give it a shot.

(I'm thinking about getting a Yonex MP tour 1 because it allows me to swing out on the ball....)

NoBadMojo
02-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Sure does..and at a higher level, small differences are even more important IMO. it also lasts longer for me than premium multis and if you hybrid an inexpensive gut like bow your cost is about the same as a better multi. The diff I notice mostly is that my ball is more penetrating and heavier, not to mention the exceptional feel of gut..give it a try and decide for yourself. use stringsavers if you do. Ed

NoBadMojo
02-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Also would add that it depends on what kind of game you play. If a power baseline western sort of game, don't think that gut is going to be your answer. If you are an all courter, can play s and v, and have a variety of shots and play w. touch and feel in addition to power then you will most likely dig playing gut like a day off...Ed

pounder
02-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey Ed! Why the name change?!

Joe Oldschool
02-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Definitely, try it. The price difference isn't really as big a deal as people make it out to be. When you consider that it plays "live" longer, the cost is really the same as multis.

Gut just has a stigma. People think its hard to string and breaks easy...etc. Take the leap.

Gaines Hillix
02-24-2004, 05:09 PM
I agree, try it; you'll never know for sure if it's for you. Tennis players come in all shapes and sizes and with different sensitivity to string, gauge and tension. I personally like the firm feel of Lux Alu Power, but others love the softer feel and touch of nat gut and the extra power. If you use string savers and aren't a big string breaker it will last a long time and it is unsurpassed in tension holding ability.

NoBadMojo
02-24-2004, 06:04 PM
aye pounder. when they changed the board i couldnt get back in w. my old handle and password, so i had to create a new one. certainly nothing deceptive going on. i'm liking the new board, but there dont seem to be as many posts? Ed

topspin
02-24-2004, 11:25 PM
yeah nothing like natural gut, try it in a hybrid, best value out there

bcaz
02-24-2004, 11:40 PM
yes.

lendl lives
03-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys,

For the yonex mp tour 1 90, any advice on how tension effects durability? I like this club strung about 64 or 65. Also what are string savers? Jeez I can't believe I don't know this. Also, where is the cheapest place to buy a bunch of it. My stringer is good but he said it would cost 70bucks if get the strings from him.