PDA

View Full Version : At what age a tennis player reach his peak???

jarrett
04-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Of course, there are some exceptions like Agassi or Hewitt but at what age do you think tennis players reaches their peak????

normnmiles
04-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Early to Mid Twenties? Sampras was number one from 21-26.

perfmode
04-27-2004, 01:38 PM
When did Hewitt blow up?

ProStaffTour90
04-27-2004, 02:48 PM
hmmmm, interesting one, i would say a bit later maybe through the mid-twenties 23-27! Obviously there will be some exceptions whether that be earlier or later!

Some say Tim's playing the best tennis of his life and he hits 30 this year!

AAAA
04-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Physical and technical/strategic peaks are reached at different ages and while one begins to decline the others can get better.

Kirko
04-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Ditto to what Pro Staff said .

Morpheus
04-27-2004, 07:11 PM
If you're asking about Pros, then I agree with mid to late 20s. Experience counts, though, so guile and strategy can sometimes mask diminishing physical skills.

If your asking about people in general, I'd have to add that I am a lot better today (at 43) than when I played Division 1 in College, mainly because of the rackets. I can hit shots with today's rackets that were impossible back with my Prince Pro and before that various wood rackets. My speed and endurance aren't as good, but my game is better. Go figure.

In other words, the game has gotten easier, so I have more longevity.

fastdunn
04-28-2004, 09:30 AM
For pros, it used to be 25-27. But they seem to peak earlier
these days although we have an exception like Mr. Agassi.

For amateur like myself, it keeps improving until you stop
playing, I would say. That's my mind set at least. The logic
behind is that we just can not put same amount of time
that pros spend to mature their skills.

What's happening with people, though, is that they stop
investing time to improve their strokes at certain time.
Then they try improving game skill with whatever tools
they have, IMHO.

Camilio Pascual
04-28-2004, 12:15 PM
I believe most tennis players reach their peaks in while in high school, the mid 30's to mid 40's, and possibly when they are in college. Very few reach their peaks when pros do in their 20's because of school, work, and starting a family committments. Many never play again after high school, so they peak the earliest of all.