PDA

View Full Version : Do pro's make money by playing Davis/Fed Cup?

amadextor
07-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Do pro's make money by playing Davis/Fed Cup?
Do they get ATP/WTA points?

Fee
07-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Yes, they are paid (varies from federation to federation). No, they do not get ranking points.

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 08:05 PM
They didn't used to receive money, but now they do. That's what pro tennis has come to. It also depends on the country they play for. Some don't pay anything. Don't know about points, but I don't think so.

PusherMan
07-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Geez, BreakPoint, does ANYONE deserve to get paid on your planet?

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Geez, BreakPoint, does ANYONE deserve to get paid on your planet?

Yeah, those money grubbing lawyers that go around suing grandmothers out of their life savings. Just kidding..... ;)

Davis Cup used to be about the honor and privilege of playing for your country. You play out of patriotism and loyalty and not because of money. Now it seems some pros won't get out of bed in the morning unless they were paid. If they really wanted to play Davis Cup because they wanted to give something back to their country, why do they need to be paid?

friedalo1
07-07-2005, 10:14 PM
They get some traveling money.

35ft6
07-08-2005, 02:56 AM
You play out of patriotism and loyalty and not because of money. Now it seems some pros won't get out of bed in the morning unless they were paid. If they really wanted to play Davis Cup because they wanted to give something back to their country, why do they need to be paid? The dollar amount isn't enought to change a player's mind, make him play. To me, there's nothing wrong with paying the players. They're charging for tickets, getting paid for broadcast rights, and moving merchandise -- of all people, why shouldn't the players be paid?

@wright
07-08-2005, 05:23 AM
I think they got $10,000 per tie from the US.

galain
07-08-2005, 05:57 AM
Nobody ever used to get paid for representing Australia - Davis Cup or Fed Cup. I think most Aussie male players consider Davis Cup to be perhaps the biggest deal in tennis. I'm not sure now though, whether any money changes hands or not. If so I'm guessing it would only be a recent thing.

Ballmachine
07-08-2005, 06:05 AM
The last I heard, each player receives $100,000 per tie for the Davis Cup. This was mentioned recently when Vincent Spadea was passed over for play, despite his ranking. Apparently, he wanted to play and he wanted the money.

I'm not sure about the Fed Cup, but because both events are formed and regulated by the ITF, I would think that the women get paid a similar amount.

Fedubai
07-08-2005, 06:06 AM
Who cares if they get paid, it's not likely to be such a huge amount as to decide whether they play or not. I think most of the guys play because they love their country, and I don't see a Roddick or a Federer sneaking deals under the table with their federation to get more money to play Davis Cup, do you? Most of them seem like pretty honorable guys.

Too much finger pointing out there these days among fans and athletes. Some of them are corrupt, yes, but there are many more that are pretty good people. Some are sold out to the money, but there are many more that do love playing.

Ballmachine
07-08-2005, 08:09 AM
I agree that playing Davis Cup for your country is an honor, but for some lesser known players, a $100,000 payday is huge.

Although, that amount is nothing to a Roddick, Federer, or Safin, it may very well be a significant income bolster for a guy like Mark Knowles, Daniel Nestor, or Yvves Allegro.

BreakPoint
07-08-2005, 12:09 PM
The dollar amount isn't enought to change a player's mind, make him play. To me, there's nothing wrong with paying the players. They're charging for tickets, getting paid for broadcast rights, and moving merchandise -- of all people, why shouldn't the players be paid?

How about the USTA using all of that revenue they collect from the Davis Cup ties to reduce our USTA membership fees, league team registration fees, tournament entry fees, and lower the cost of US Open tickets so more fans can afford to go?

If the dollar amount isn't enough to change a player's mind anyway, do you think they really need an extra $10,000? Especially guys like Roddick and Agassi who make tens of millions a year?

@wright
07-08-2005, 12:44 PM
$100,000? Where did you hear that? That's 10x what I've heard they get...That sounds pretty inflated...I don't think the USTA can afford to pay out $500,000 per tie in player fees.

ty slothrop
07-08-2005, 12:58 PM
$100,000? Where did you hear that? That's 10x what I've heard they get...That sounds pretty inflated...I don't think the USTA can afford to pay out $500,000 per tie in player fees.

That's a drop for the barons of Westchester. Total purse for the USO this year is in excess of $20 million, (correct me if I am wrong).

PusherMan
07-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Ya, money is no object for the USTA. I don't put anything past them when it comes to payoffs.

SteveI
12-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Ya, money is no object for the USTA. I don't put anything past them when it comes to payoffs.

Hi,

I am may be wrong about this.. but I think I read a few years ago, the USTA made (profit) about 550 mill from the USO. Like I said.. I could be wrong.

Steve

Here is an example of the funds they have...from 2005

http://www.redcross.org/pressrelease/0,1077,0_172_4550,00.html

sureshs
12-18-2008, 12:11 PM
100K per rubber I have heard. And the coach (PMac) gets 50K a rubber.

edmondsm
12-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah, those money grubbing lawyers that go around suing grandmothers out of their life savings. Just kidding..... ;)

Davis Cup used to be about the honor and privilege of playing for your country. You play out of patriotism and loyalty and not because of money. Now it seems some pros won't get out of bed in the morning unless they were paid. If they really wanted to play Davis Cup because they wanted to give something back to their country, why do they need to be paid?

Every other sport offers money for players that play for their country, tennis should be no different. Davis Cup is a huge money maker and the players are the ones who make it happen. If they didn't get paid then all the middle men would be filling there pockets even more then they already do.

In soccer the bonuses for playing in the World Cup are in the millions, as they should be.

Gen
12-19-2008, 12:31 AM
They've always been paid for Davis/Fed Cup matches, but the payments were called bonuses which means "no formal payoffs". The bonus amount depends on the round. 100 000 USD were paid to each player for winning DC. It should vary from country to country I guess.