PDA

View Full Version : ANY OPINIONS - Wilson PS Surge X

BSerwatka
04-27-2004, 06:19 PM
I am considering switching to the Wilson Surge X and was wondering if anyone out there has used them and what their opinions on them were. I am currently using a Dunlop MW 200g 95", but I want something a little stiffer, a more open string pattern, and a larger head. I have been using the old Pure Drive Plus and the new Pure Control and I am very satisfied by the both of them. However, Babolat frames are uberexpensive and I just don't have the cash for them. How does the Surge X compare to the old Pure Drive Plus? Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TripleThreatPlayer
04-27-2004, 06:51 PM
I recently switched from a Hammer 5.3 MP to a Surge X. I experienced some great arm pain for the first few weeks, maybe because it was a big transition (from 10 oz to 11oz), or my my strokes wern't sound enough. The wrist pain I got seriously wanted me to just throw the racquet away (until I was able to hit the generally small sweetspot more consistantly). The surge and the Babolat PD play very similar. The surge is an excellent racquet for baseline raleys, but isn't agile at the net. Great Spin just like the Babolat. Serves are HUGE, flat and kick are easy to do. Babolats Woofer effect does seem to give a diffrent feel to the ball, its really up to personal preference.

kreative
04-27-2004, 10:10 PM
surge x, yikes, the horror! can't stand the paintjob....

it plays similar to the PD, but doesn't have the unique babolat feel, which is prolly due to the woofer grommets, either you like or you don't.

BHud
04-28-2004, 03:45 AM
For me, the racquet was appropriately named...it described the "surge" of pain I felt in my arm after using this thing! :cry:

kevhen
04-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Paint job is bad. I got one in January and started losing with it, but stuck with it since I have never used a headlight racquet before. My serve is 5-10 mph faster with it and benefitted the most. I recently added head tape all along the frame since it swings too fast for me and my last match I played better than ever in my life, close to 4.5 level. So I would recommend adding some tape, it bumped it up to 11.5 ounce racquet and is just 3points headlight instead of 7, but feels much more solid on groundstrokes on volleys. I used a Volkl Quantum 8 before that was 10.5 ounces and evenly balanced. I was not going to get past the 4.0 level with that racquet but I think the Surge X can maybe get me to 4.5 if my body holds up. I may also buy a Volkl Tour 8 which is almost identical in specs to the Surge X. That racquet might be easier on the arm, although my arm has felt ok with the Surge X and I have a big serve.

pusherman1
04-29-2004, 05:21 PM
I do play with the Volkl Tour 8 and just got back from the court after trying out the Wilson Surge. All I can say is-- There is nothing like the great feel of the Volkl.