PDA

View Full Version : Best shoe for ankle and knee pain?

2ndServe
09-13-2011, 05:49 PM
What's the best shoe or insole for ankle and knee pain, I've tried some insoles that helped my movement suffered and it was pretty horrid to begin with.

Ramon
09-13-2011, 08:47 PM
First you have to figure out what's causing your pain. For instance, if you have flat feet and over-pronate, you probably need motion control shoes/insoles to keep your feet more straight when you run. If you have high arches and play on hard courts, maybe you need more cushioning because your heel and ball of the foot are taking all the impact. I can't tell from your post if you had movement problems before the insoles, or if your movement got worse because of the insoles.

I have a mild tendency to pronate and have had knee problems in the past. Even though motion control shoes/insoles might not be necessary for me, I don't mind the extra prevention. I like the New Balance 804's. I think they are the most stable tennis shoes on the market, and they come in narrow, medium, and wide widths. They are made to easily accomodate aftermarket insoles (New Balance sells a lot of insoles themselves). The Rollbar technology in the 804's really works. Just try rocking the 804's from side to side. Then try the same thing with any other tennis shoe (even the big name brands that sell for $120). You'll feel the difference, and I definitely notice the difference on the tennis court. The reason I wear other shoes sometimes is because 804's are kind of plain looking, but they are not ugly either and you can take them anywhere and fit in.

As for insoles, the choice is too dependent on your specific problem. Go to a store that sells several models of insoles, preferably one that has a machine that measures your pressure points, and talk to someone who can diagnose your problem.

2ndServe
09-14-2011, 08:55 AM
my shoes wear out most

in the front/ball of my feet - it wears out on the inside

in the heels - it wears out on the outside (pronounced)

if any one has advice for this, thx

innoVAShaun
09-15-2011, 10:01 AM
There are lots of threads about ankel and knee pain in the Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18) Forum.

Ramon
09-16-2011, 05:39 AM
my shoes wear out most

in the front/ball of my feet - it wears out on the inside

in the heels - it wears out on the outside (pronounced)

if any one has advice for this, thx

It sounds like you are a pronator. I guess I can say that without risk because I'm not a foot professional so my opinion means squat (disclaimer, LOL). A little pronating is good, but a lot of it is bad and can cause ankle, knee, and hip problems. If it's severe, you need motion control insoles and the most stable shoe you can get. The NB 804's are the most stable I've worn (though I know there's a lot of good shoes out there also). There are a lot of orthotic insoles out there to control pronation. You probably need to go to a store and try out as many insoles as you can until you find one you like because every foot is different.

Ace
09-23-2011, 08:01 PM
KSwiss Defier RS. I am prone to ankle pain. the RS's have good cushioning.