PDA

View Full Version : How do you take your game to the next level?

atac
09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
In high school I made a huge improvement on my forehand (which was a weakness) and playing in a lot of tournaments which helped my mental strength a lot (also a weakness). That really boasted confidence in my strokes and the rest of my game rose to another level.

I'm just trying to figure out what it takes to get to the next level, is it playing better strategy, playing more tournaments, practising more, playing with better players, working on your weaknesses?

Fuji
09-13-2011, 07:42 PM
To advance you need to do everything you said! It's a lot of new strategy, learning to deal with higher pace, how to make your own pace even better then it is, and making your weaknesses less weak then they are! :)

Hitting with better players really helps a ton!

-Fuji

HiroProtagonist
09-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Fitness, endurance, strengthening the tennis muscles.

LeeD
09-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Easy to advance when you're starting low.
Impossible to advance when you've already peaked.
So depends where you are now, and how talented your are, and how much you really WANT it.

atac
09-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Easy to advance when you're starting low.
Impossible to advance when you've already peaked.
So depends where you are now, and how talented your are, and how much you really WANT it.Thats a really good point. I don't really believe in the NTRP ratings but I've got to the semi's of a tournament in 4.5 division. The guy I lost to I feel like I should've beaten, but I had a three set match the day before plus I was playing doubles. So maybe 4.0 - 4.5 I'm guessing.

My senior year of high school I played no. 1 singles and played against the no. 1 player of another school and this kid was really good. He destroyed me 6-1, although I was able to hang with him for a couple games, we had a few back and forth deuce games, at times I was able to win the point by hitting a real aggressive shot to the corner when I had the chance. He was also really good at hitting off the rise and moving me around, which had me scrambling often and eventually wore me out.

The problem is its hard to find players who are that good, I don't live in a big tennis area. My only chance of playing those kind of players are when tournaments come up which aren't too often and they are a 30 minute drive away.

USERNAME
09-13-2011, 09:13 PM
In high school I made a huge improvement on my forehand (which was a weakness) and playing in a lot of tournaments which helped my mental strength a lot (also a weakness). That really boasted confidence in my strokes and the rest of my game rose to another level.

I'm just trying to figure out what it takes to get to the next level, is it playing better strategy, playing more tournaments, practising more, playing with better players, working on your weaknesses?

To bring ur game up just listen to what Donald Young said, he worked on fitness more then anything and look at his jump in level. Strength training, fitness/endurance training, footwork drills, all that will cause a BIG spike in playing ability.