PDA

View Full Version : *scraps Rankings*

gifted_shotmaker
07-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Brad Gilbert has these on his site, though I don't think he's updated his thoughts since the end of the AO. Post your scraps rankings, and here's mine;tell me what you think:

1. Federer- enough said. We thought another player could find an answer for him at Wimbledon like Safin and Nadal, but no such event occured. Safin and Nadal couldn't even take him down in straight sets, and he had a dominating run at Wimbledon. Federer is surely the undisputed number one, and he still has the right attitude to stay on top.

2. Hewitt- I guess you could call him the most consistent performer at the slams this year other than Federer. Reaching the finals of the slam that used to trouble him, AO, and the semis of Wimbly give him the second rank. He needs to find an answer to Federer QUICK and hope he doesn't run into that AO 2005 Safin.

3. Safin- He finally silenced the critics by winning his first slam in 5 years at Melbourne, but the blight on his record this year is unconsistency. He's been on a roller coaster since winning that slam, and seemed to get it back together in Paris, but ran into Robredo, and lost a memorable 5 setter. Safin also showed his skill by reaching his first final on grass, losing valiantly to Federer in both the singles and doubles of Halle; sucks to lose to him twice on the same day :( An injury's keeping him out at the moment, but hopefully he's back as he should be a major threat on the US hardcourts.

4. Roddick- He began by losing in the semis of the AO after receiving a "cupcake" draw as Brad Gilbert put it. He got himself together pretty nicely after that, but had another disappointing clay court season. Domination again for Roddick on the grass, until he ran into none other than Federer, maybe playing his best on his favorite surface, not to mention Roddick even had trouble in his Wimbledon rounds after this draw also turned into a "cupcake"

5. Nadal- He started off the year solidly by reaching the R16 in Melbourne and losing to eventual finalist, Hewitt, in 5 sets, and also was the undisputed "King of Clay". Lots of expectation replaced the hype after that slam win was put on this kid, but now it seems to be dying after a not too good grass court time.

Honorable mention

Puerta- come on, you got to like his run in Paris.

Gasquet- showing some good stuff this year, not to mention he was one of the few to down the Fed-man

Thomas Johansson- nice to see him back on the map by having a well-deserved run to the semis at the All England Club

gugafanatic
07-08-2005, 02:39 PM
There is already a similar post like this titled: 10 things learnt from Wimbledon.

I never knew somone could be unconsistent?? did you mean inconsistent

Max G.
07-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Safin - hard to even put him in a spot on a list like that.

When he has a good day, he's an almost certain #2 on that list. But on a bad day, he's nowhere near that list. And unlike most players, who play on a similar level for large stretches at a time, Safin can go from #2 to #102 within a week...

alienhamster
07-08-2005, 08:34 PM
I never knew somone could be unconsistent?? did you mean inconsistentMe fail English? That's unpossible!

akj27
07-08-2005, 08:46 PM
It was probably a spelling error since the key u is right next to i

Boy Wonder
07-11-2005, 04:27 AM

gifted_shotmaker
07-11-2005, 04:28 AM
Anyone have any other thoughts on 'scraps rankings'? In regards to Safin, Max, I think he should be at #3 since Safin does seem to get it back just in time for Roland Garros, reaching the fourth round again there and losing a tough one, and in time for Wimbledon, reaching the finals of singles and doubles in Halle, and then losing to surprise quarterfinalist Feliciano Lopez at Wimbledon. The point I'm trying to make is that he seems to be giving his best consistent effort in the slams, though he did horrible all those events after the AO and leading up to RG, and a bright spot is those grass finals he reached, which are a first for Safin.

BTW, Being overly critical of spelling errors are we? The previous poster described what I think probably happened, or I was thinking too much and it didn't translate on the keyboard.