PDA

View Full Version : Yannick Noah=hall of fame?

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2005, 03:22 PM
I saw that Yannick Noah maded the International Tennis Hall of Fame, does anyone think he is a hall of famer with one GS?Who else thats in already doesnt deserve to be there?

Kevin Patrick
07-08-2005, 03:32 PM
There is another thread that goes in to a greater detail about this subject(just scroll down)

I think he does deserve to get in. The HOF isn't just about achievement, but "making an impact in the game." Yannick was one of the most popular players of his time. His French win was historic(first Frenchman to win Roland Garros since '46, I believe)
Also he captained the French Davis Cup Team to victory in '91(ending another long drought for France, 60 years or so)

But, I think the reason he is getting in is due to multi-slam winners becoming increasingly rare from the early 90s on. In the 80s & 70s many players won multiple slams, so there were many players inducted in the 90s. There weren't many multi title winners in the 90s, so the HOF is letting the one slammers of the past in.
Also the HOF makes a lot of money from these ceremonies, so some years less people should get in, but they insist on a certain number of inductees to draw a crowd.

A D
07-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Yes. He deserves it.

panatta
07-08-2005, 05:18 PM
No.. I don't think he deserves it.

GregOz
07-09-2005, 06:56 AM
Ahead of Sabatini, definately not. Ahead of our good friend Adriano Panatta, probably not either.

Panatta was one of the best, most exciting tennis players (certainly the most dramatic) I've ever seen. Noah pretty much came out of the same mold as Panatta (right down to the lust for life) but in terms of talent and results he was a significantly lesser version. Whatever Noah might have been as a player Panatta was far superior and I think that is best illustrated by his being the only player to beat Bjorn Borg twice at the French Open.

The failure of the Hall of Fame to recognise Adriano is a slap in the face of Italian tennis in exactly the same way as Sabitini's omission is an insult to the South Americans.

RafaN RichardG
07-09-2005, 06:59 AM
its all opinionated....doesnt matter how many ppl say he deserves it or not, probably wont change anything...if hes there, hes there for a reason. however im not an expert on HIS achievements