PDA

View Full Version : Best shots you have pulled off in a match

TheBoom
09-14-2011, 03:07 PM
What is the best/favorite shot you have ever pulled off during a match?
Mine was a volley i hit when i was attacking the net the guy hit a ball right at my feet as i was moving left and i angled it in the lines of the service box to my right with some decent pace on it for a winner! Felt like Mcenroe.
How about some of you're guy's shots???

LeeD
09-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Luckiest shot I ever pulled was a stretch backhand lob after getting run out wide, last second lunging wrist flick for a DTL winner over TimCannon during the semis of the PleasantonOpen back around '79. The ball teasingly meandered at maybe 40 mph, just out of his backhand reach, clearing his racket by less than a foot, while I was watching from the ground after cartwheeling a couple of times.
I would have called an "injury break" after that point, but Tim slammed his racket into the net, missed, and it slid on the ground from my baseline to my backboard, breaking the handle into a 30 degree pretzel, so I got the needed 3 minute break, so I could lose the next 4 games and out.:cry:

SStrikerR
09-14-2011, 04:04 PM
I tend to pull of some great passes from all over the court when I'm going for broke. I also hit a winner tweener once or twice. However, I think my best shot ever was in doubles freshman year. I was playing back in the ad court (we had no idea how to play doubles, terrible coach) and I somehow knew that my partner up at net was going to get passed. So I began to sprint toward his side, and just as I thought, he was passed. He started turning around, thinking the point was over, and saw me diving sideways, slicing the ball, and hitting a drop shot winner. I did a sideways somersault to hit a ball, lost some leg hair, won a point, and felt very accomplished. I actually saved him numerous times by getting to balls that had no business being in play, and it was enjoyable every time.

Oh, and I hit half volleys like it's my job. When I approach the net, I'd rather use a half volley than a regular one...wish it was the other way around, but at least I can catch people off guard this way. People think "Oh, I'm gonna hit to his feet," and I say thank you and win the point.

09-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Probably a tweener volley for winner down the middle in dubs where they tried to put a high one away down on my ankles, but my fav ever would be the lefty TS hooker when pulled way wide to Bh side, where I got it to hook around outside the post, way lower than the net and into the dubs ally. It was too wide for the 2 handed Bh, so I went with the left Fh.

TheBoom
09-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Oh i remembered another one! I hit a serve that totally shanked the top of my racket but it went into the box and had a ton of backspin and won me the point :)

firstblud
09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
my favorite shot was a wicked 1H BH return DTL ... never did it again since I now use a 2 hander

HEADfamilydynasty
09-14-2011, 04:40 PM
My best shot in a match was when i was 0-40 up and at the net. my opponent tried to pass me DTL but a reactive drop volley kept that from happening. He managed to scoop it up AND over my head. I ran back to the baseline and hit a rocket dtl forehand that he anticipated but he counldn't handle the pace and hit it short in the ad SB, But still on the outside edge of the sideline spinning to the left. I run up to the ball and backhand flick from 5in of the ground for an insanly short angle at an insane speed to FINALLY win the point.:twisted::)

Timbo's hopeless slice
09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
I hit a return once.

It went in.

Was good.

Chenx15
09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
i have three i remember. the one was the my serve and volley finished with an overhead smashed just pure edberg beauty. the other one was a quarter in a tournament any my opponent pulled me outwide on my ad court he went for an amazingly beautiful shot to my deuce court then i went for a running forehand and got an outright DTL winner. the best one was a doubles match and the opponent got an amazing inside out forehand and i got a one hand backhand topspin winner in the middle of the court right on the baseline.

I love the shoulder fakes i do in the match to when i pretend to go for an inside out forehand and i end up doing an inside in. Or when i pretend to go for a deuce to ad court down the line backhand and both the double opponent go to their ad court and i do an inside out from topspin backhand

BaboFan
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Intense rally. opponent hits great crosscourt shot. I barely get to it and hit a short ball. Opponent fakes a hard forehand and dropshots. I get it barely again. Then he lobs it. I run it down and hit a tweener angle passing shot.
It felt so good I will never forget it.

MarinaHighTennis
09-14-2011, 07:21 PM
In doubles where my partner set the other team up to smash at me at the net. I turn around with my racket blocking my back and sure enough they smashed it at my racket and I got a winner. The other school laughed and I switched partners then on.

Fuji
09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Either my backspin drop shot that comes back over the net, (Not really the best shot, but I do practice it!), OR what happened today when I was 7-8 feet behind the baseline and my opponent and my opponent hit a drop shot into the OPPOSITE corner of me, and I ran it down to flick it into their opposite corner for them to get there, lob it over me, chase it down to flick it over my head without looking, him to smash it, only for me to get a lucky touch on it that made it into a drop shot and ended the point for my win! :D One of the longest and best points I've played!

-Fuji

NYCtennis1
09-14-2011, 07:43 PM
I once hit a left handed passing shot on a break point (I'm right handed) it was the luckiest shot I've hit in my life probably. I didn't even realize what happened till after the point. One shot I've pulled off a few times a no look half volley, I do practice it though:)

fruitytennis1
09-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Best shot: Lefty ROS for a winner lob on a low ranked lefty pro who had an absolute bomb serve.

FoxHound
09-18-2011, 03:50 PM
I hit a huge serve out wide to the ad service box. I was comming to the net and my opponet threw up a weak backhand return. So as I'm running up I jump and hit a huge overhead. Sampras slam dunk!! I know its not a cool defence to offence story but nothing feels better than just destroying a ball and sending it over the fence. :)

Manus Domini
09-18-2011, 07:37 PM
My miracle shots:

Shank backhand winner (completely rimmed it, and broke the string :oops:)
2 dropshot ROSes (of course, it was a weak server and my touch was great, so...)
Mid-air volley
Backhand ROS winner against the best server on my school's team

salsainglesa
09-19-2011, 03:28 PM
I constantly defend great with my forehand on the run, I can hit an angle or dtl, being the short cross court my preferred shot, but this one time, i absolutely ripped the ball from 6 feet behind the baseline and outside the court to the corner, it was sweet. Maybe a once in a lifetime shot... maybe ;)
mostly because now people don't attack that side anymore : /

moonballer1
09-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Best shot ever: My friend played a little drop shot to my forehand so i run up and just managed to hit a marvelous buggywhip that sverved around him... Beautiful.. Nearly took off my head with my racquet too though..

Nellie
09-20-2011, 07:47 AM
I was goofing around one day and was running around my forehand to slice shots. I was pulled wide on the forehand side, ran around to hit the BH slice, and bent a slow, heavy slice shot around netpost and into the singles court. The ball curved like a boomerang and never went above the height of the net.

halalula1234
09-21-2011, 06:41 AM
One of those fluke slices when it bounces back over to ur court again once it goes into the other side.!! :) i loved it.Only happended once tho :(

thug the bunny
09-21-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't know if it was my best, but today my opp hit a nice drop to the ad sideline short of the service line and came to net behind it. I got to the ball and fired a CC TS 2HBH passing shot that went right in front of his face and outstretched racquet and painted the line. Sweet!