PDA

View Full Version : Pancho Gonzalez signature racquet

spirit
07-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Got myself a Pancho Gonzalez "autograph" racquet. Wood, heavy, small head, 4 and 5/8ths with leather grip. How did they hit with this thing? I used to hit with wood. Learned on wood. But I don't remember my wooden racquet being so heavy, and not quite that small a head, at least not that I remember. Wish I had kept that old wood racquet that I learned on. I got this racquet via **** for $12 including shipping. I just wanted it for curiosity. It is made from ash wood and was made in Belgium. It's a Spalding. The strings look original. Don't know if they are natural gut or not. I wonder if I could hit with them? This is of course not an actual racquet that the great Gonzalez used. He just got paid for the use of his name on it. But I wonder how close it was to his racquets?

Sixpointone
07-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi Spirit,

The Wooden Pancho Gonzales Spalding Racquet that you mentioned was actually the first frame I ever owned (and still own to this today) that got me into the game of Tennis.

Nowadays, the frame I use is 180 degrees different. I use the Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 Classic Stretch (28 inches) with an Oversize Head (110 square inches). This is in part due to my eyesight, and the fact I prefer to hot two hands off of both sides.

Having said that because I am and that is the way I started the game, and I hit with them from time to time, I can adjust to one rather easily. In fact five times or so in the last month and a half I have been using my Wooden Wilson Jack Kramer Pro Staff Racquet, and it really does have such a smooth feel to it.

Congratulations on your Racquet and I hope you enjoy it!

All My Best,
John

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2005, 07:55 PM
How good was Pancho Gonzalez?I am very young but i read about the old timers.I heard he beat Roy Emerson a number of times.

Yours!05
07-08-2005, 08:05 PM
How good was Pancho Gonzalez?I am very young but i read about the old timers.I heard he beat Roy Emerson a number of times.Great that you want to know the history of tennis, but a forum search would be good;) . For starters, beating Emmo isn't an indication of perhaps being the GOAT. Emerson's standout record comes from being well-placed in the early Pro era.

the green god
07-08-2005, 08:12 PM
pancho never played emerson until 1968 when he was 40 years old over the next several years they played 13 times and pancho won every match. gee i wonder how many grand slams pancho would have won. in my book he is the best ever.

Dr.Lobster
07-08-2005, 08:13 PM
i'm sure you could hit with it, just take good care to avoid deformation

spirit
07-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi Spirit,
The Wooden Pancho Gonzales Spalding Racquet that you mentioned was actually the first frame I ever owned (and still own to this today) that got me into the game of Tennis.

Congratulations on your Racquet and I hope you enjoy it!

Interesting. My original wood was a Jack Kramer I believe.

And from DR. Lobster "i'm sure you could hit with it, just take good care to avoid deformation"

I do want to try to hit with it just to see what its like and to remind me of the feeling of wood. But the strings look like they are the originals that came with the racquet, so I would think they would be quite brittle. Should I get it restrung, and if so, who in the world will know how to string this thing? And what should I string it with? I'm a little concerned with the grip size of 4 and 5 eighths. I used to hit with a 4 and one-half, but now I hit with a 4 and 3 eighths with an over grip.