PDA

View Full Version : How hard do you grip your racquet?

ATXtennisaddict
09-16-2011, 06:20 AM
I tried gripping it tight yesterday while playing, I find I have more control and technique. When I allow it to be looser, I flop a bit.

So are we meant to grip the tennis racquet pretty tightly?

fuzz nation
09-16-2011, 06:39 AM
The problem with muscle tension is that it restricts free, fluid motion. I'll grip my racquet rather firmly when hitting a volley, but looser when hitting a typical forehand or backhand. My loosest grip is probably when I serve, since that's when I need a big, smooth, fluid move through contact with good racquet speed for either the pace or spin (or both) that I need.

On a scale of 1-5 with 1 the loosest and 5 up there near white-knuckles:

Serve: 2
Strokes: 3
Volleys: 4
Slice: 3.5 (either wing)
Drop volleys: 1

Defensive shots (fighting off a tough ball): 4-5

Also, I use both a one-handed and two-handed backhand, depending on the shot. While I'm going to say that 3 is right for my one-hander, I'd say that for my two-hander, both hands should be at 2. With both of them on the racquet, it's not going to fly out of my grasp, but I need to lighten up a little so that the racquet's motion is less restricted through contact.

Fuji
09-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I'll go on a scale of 1-5 like Fuzz!

Serve: 1-2
Forehand: 2
Backhand: 3
Slice: 3
Punch Volley: 4-5
Drop Volley: 1.5

The only time I really "white knuckle" my grip is when I'm punching back a really hard volley, other then that I'm at about half tightness, and with touch shots and serving I'm about a quarter or less. :)

-Fuji

Fuji
09-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Also, if you find yourself having to grip more tightly then about half on normal shots, check your grip size. If your grip is too small, it may be forcing you to death grip your grip more then you should to have consistency and control on your shots!

-Fuji

Xizel
09-17-2011, 10:37 AM
It's dependent on how hard the incoming shot is to minimize twisting, but generally VERY under-exaggerated, especially the serve. I had a period of time when I thought I was gripping the serve very loose, but I took it even looser a few days ago and began whacking ridiculous spin serves. I also grip very loose on the forehand, which doesn't come as easy as the serve, since it twists at times because the ball isn't paceless.

HEADfamilydynasty
09-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Serve:2.5
Forehand:2
Backhand:3
Slice:3
Touch Shots:1-2
Volleys:4-5

Mahboob Khan
09-18-2011, 05:17 PM
On the scale of 1 to 5 (from loose to tight):

Serve: 2
Forehand: 3 to 3.5
1HBH : 4.5 (at point of contact)
2HBH : 3.5
Volleys : 4

The degree of tightness will change slightly throughout the swing. For example, on the FH backswing I will hold the racket more on the looser side, as I come into contact I will firm it up, and then on the followthrough I will be more on the looser side. Actually, this just happens.

thug the bunny
09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
One of the things I inserted into my game a while back is at the start of any point I'm not serving, I hold the stick with my off-hand and take the grip with barely any pressure with my right hand to remind myself to stay loose even when the tension of the match elevates. For serves I take my pinky and third finger off the handle while I'm bouncing the ball to accomplish the same. I don't think you can grip the stick too loosely, as your body/brain will automatically adjust during the swing, such as a punch back on a hard fast ball where you need more pressure.

Devilito
09-19-2011, 12:08 PM
just tight enough so my racquet doesn't fly out of my hand. So the answer would be, really lose. I try to make my strokes as effortless as possible.