PDA

View Full Version : Going to start playing tennis and need good shoes. Cheap or designer?

Homeboy Hotel
09-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Basically I'm going to start playing tennis, I've got some basic Nike shirt/shorts but shoes I have not bought yet.

I'm not sure if I should go and pay for some big brand shoes or just go for the basic shoes. The latter would seem a no-brainer since I'm a beginner but considering i'm going to be running around a lot, have wide feet, want them to last etc, I thought I'd ask on here first. Don't wanna buy a cheap pair only to get destroyed after a couple of weeks on the court.

I want something that is quite comfortable (obviously) - any suggestions on specific shoes or brands that you guys use, on a reasonably budget?

Hapless
09-16-2011, 11:34 AM
You need dedicated court shoes with rubber (rather than gum) soles; this is key because a lot of indoor court shoes (for squash/racquetball) have gum on the soles and they'll last you not much longer than a week.

Other than that, it's all about fit, weight, comfort, etc. There are expensive shoes that won't last you more than a month, and there are dirt cheap shoes that are highly durable.

Asics makes some of the best all-around court shoes, and you'll rarely find negative comments about them. New Balance are popular as well, especially if you have wide feel. Babolat, Wilson and Nike are all hit-or-miss.

luishcorreia
09-17-2011, 05:14 AM
Nike City Court. Cheap and good for a starting player.

TopFH
09-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Adidas Bercuda. A really good hand-me-down version of the B6s. It did not last me much, but I've been playing for two and half years now!

Ramon
09-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I tried the Nike Air Court MO's (similar to Nike City Courts), and they were good for what little I paid after the store discount (probably under $40 since they were on clearance). I also like the look of the Adidas Bercudas.

If your feet are very wide, you might want to try New Balance because they have 2E and 4E widths.

The cheaper models usually have simple insoles that provide little support. If you add orthotic insoles for around $20-30, they could feel a lot like more expensive shoes.

Evelgest
09-17-2011, 07:09 PM
How wide are your feet exactly? 2E? 4E?

If you're a beginner, I'd go with the aforementioned Nike City Court VI in wide. Very comfortable and more importantly, cheap. They're currently $40 on TW. New Balance also has cheaper options for wide feet, besides its higher end shoes such as the 1004 and 1187.

Darko
09-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Go for the Adidas Barricade Team. Cheap and comfy. They will last as well.

If you decide to spend some more money, maybe you can find the Nike 2K10 on special? That's a great shoe.

syc23
09-18-2011, 03:39 AM
Having only started playing 2 months ago, I bought a pair of Nike Court Ballistic 3.1. Got it at a pretty good discount, required a little break in as I found my right big toe jamming in the toebox but after a couple of weeks, it's loosened up nicely.

I normally play on hardcourts and artifical turf so good grip on both surface.

Very good shoe overall.

I wouldn't go to high end at this moment, I'd rather spend the money on coaching sessions.

Andreas1965
09-18-2011, 04:56 AM
Never think of saving money by using bad shoes!
Get yourself some high quality shoes, just look at discontinued models, check out the sale sections, but please never torture feet, joints, vertebrae with junk shoes.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.236974,6.860694

davedomart
09-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Try Prince T9 Roadster, only 50 bucks and much better than City Court in all aspects.

Mighty Matteo
09-18-2011, 11:12 AM
try the prince renegades or asics gel game 7s as two other options.

frunk
09-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I'd pick shoes with good heel/lateral stability.

The_Question
09-20-2011, 06:52 AM
I recommend the Nike Air Court Mo III/IV. It's frequently in the sales section, very well made, just not for toe drag...good bang for the buck...

Sim
09-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Go for the Adidas Barricade Team. Cheap and comfy. They will last as well.

If you decide to spend some more money, maybe you can find the Nike 2K10 on special? That's a great shoe.

I use the Adidas Barricade Team and love it!