PDA

View Full Version : How did TW come to be based in San Luis Obispo?

bluetrain4
09-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Rather than a larger city. I've always wanted to ask this? SLO is beautiful, but relatively isolated.

What are the pros and cons of SLO location?

jorel
09-16-2011, 01:20 PM
chris trains chuck liddel on the weekeends

chris' real name is greg jackson

Lsmkenpo
09-22-2011, 05:14 PM
How it all started.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2005/11/tennis_warehouse_online_retail.html

Tennis Warehouse was started by Drew Munster in 1992 as a 500-square-foot specialty tennis shop in San Luis Obispo, where TW still maintains a storefront. Prior to that, Munster (above) had founded ComputerWare in Palo Alto, Calif., which became the largest Apple Macintosh-only dealer in the U.S. and earned the No. 5 spot on Inc. Magazine’s 1990 list of 500 fastest-growing companies in America, with a five-year growth of 21,900 percent.

“Tennis Warehouse really started more or less as a software project for me,” says Munster, the owner and CEO, who wrote the software that continues to run TW. “The idea was to sell the software, rather than grow the business that ran it, but at a certain point I saw more of an opportunity in the [Tennis Warehouse] business than in selling the software.” In 1995, tennis-warehouse.com was launched, and full online ordering was made available in 1998.

Now, TW has up to 120 employees during high season. And TW offers more than simply the ability to order racquets, shoes, apparel, and other equipment online. For instance, TW has a racquet demo program that consumers rave about. Customers can demo up to four frames for a week, paying just the two-day freight costs. “It offers convenience and selection that you can’t find anywhere else,” says Munster, who came up with the program.

El Diablo
09-22-2011, 05:52 PM
This reminds me of a good trivia question. The first couple to be shown in a weekly TV series sharing one bed in the bedroom, rather than having their own individual twin beds, was.............Mr. and Mrs. Herman Munster.

Agent Orynge
09-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Rather than a larger city. I've always wanted to ask this? SLO is beautiful, but relatively isolated.

What are the pros and cons of SLO location?

The real answer? Proximity to Viking Garden Cafe in Solvang, but the real estate is cheaper. You'd set up a business there too, if you knew how delicious Danish pancakes are.

frunk
09-23-2011, 12:13 AM
The real answer? Proximity to Viking Garden Cafe in Solvang, but the real estate is cheaper. You'd set up a business there too, if you knew how delicious Danish pancakes are.
If only I lived closer than 4 hours away from Solvang...

mikeler
09-23-2011, 06:01 AM

Ah, Solvang. The wine country that everyone should be visiting. Way better than the overcrowded Napa/Sonoma. Much cooler weather in the summer too.

Agent Orynge
09-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Glad to see the folks in Florida have good taste. ;)

Agent Orynge
09-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Notice how they neither confirm nor deny? They want to keep the ∆bleskiver for themselves!

True story: I once saw Ernie Hudson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001368/) at a smorgasbord in Solvang.