PDA

View Full Version : Serve: Left arm coming down too slow

aaron_h27
09-18-2011, 03:52 PM
My left arm comes down very slowly slowing down my whole service motion..is there anything I can do to make it come down faster? My coach says this is the main problem in my serve

ci2ca
09-18-2011, 03:57 PM
It's good that your left arm is coming down slow because that probably means you're keeping your tossing arm up pretty long. What your coach is trying to tell you is that you probably don't do turn your shoulders fast enough (imagine doing a cartwheel) through your serve. Otherwise I think your coach might be pulling your leg cause he doesn't know what to tell ya.

aaron_h27
09-18-2011, 04:00 PM
It's good that your left arm is coming down slow because that probably means you're keeping your tossing arm up pretty long. What your coach is trying to tell you is that you probably don't do turn your shoulders fast enough (imagine doing a cartwheel) through your serve. Otherwise I think your coach might be pulling your leg cause he doesn't know what to tell ya. I don't think so but thank you for your concern I've been with my coach about 2 years and I've improved tremendously even my serve has improved but I'm playing U18 and I need to hold my serve more often and develop more speed

I will try rotating my shoulders faster. Thanks

any other tips are appreciated!

fuzz nation
09-19-2011, 06:15 AM
I like the image of having a rope tied to both wrists that runs through a big pulley which is attached to a point several feet above the server. To help with accelerating the swinging arm up through contact using this image, the server wants to deliberately pull the tossing arm down and into his/her side. You might even like the image of a swimmer's crawl stroke - take a strong stroke with the tossing arm to help "windmill" the racquet arm over the top and "swim" though contact to drive it.

In either case, it sounds as though your coach has spotted a rather fundamental problem in the progression of your service motion. If your tossing arm remains raised as you're trying to swing up to contact, that's rather restricting. With your tossing arm dropped out of the way, that rocks your shoulder plane forward giving your racquet arm plenty of space to carry up and forward. Try to throw a tennis ball firmly against a fence, etc. while pointing your non-throwing arm up in the air in front of you and you'll probably feel the same restriction.

What you want to avoid though, is "taking a bow" as you swing to contact. Even though you want to deliberately pull that tossing arm down to help fire the racquet arm up over the top, keep your body driving upward as though you're trying to throw the racquet up through the ball. If you bend forward at the waist to try and "help" the racquet around, that leans everything downward, including your racquet face, and often guides too many serves down into the net.

SystemicAnomaly
09-19-2011, 06:43 AM
I wondering if he means that your tossing arm is coming down late rather than too slowly. It should start come down as the racket head drops from the trophy position. As ci2ca indicates, the left arm tuck helps to rotate the trunk (shoulders) faster for that cartwheel action

larry10s
09-19-2011, 08:02 AM
actually i have the same problem
i tend to not tuck my left(tossing) arm
this definitely restricts the shoulder over shoulder movement(cartwheel)
and i suppose limiting my core to get into the action
when i focus on tucking the arm there is definite improvement in pace on my serve

mightyrick
09-19-2011, 08:09 AM
My left arm comes down very slowly slowing down my whole service motion..is there anything I can do to make it come down faster? My coach says this is the main problem in my serve

What is the main problem? You didn't really say. Is it lack of pace? Is it lack of control? Is it pain?

LeeD
09-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Possibly, instead of focusing on your slow lowering left hand, you should SWING FASTER with your right arm. The left arm rotates in opposition to the shoulders, which rotate with your FASTER RIGHT ARM SWING.

aaron_h27
09-19-2011, 01:31 PM
What is the main problem? You didn't really say. Is it lack of pace? Is it lack of control? Is it pain? lack of pace and sometimes my serves go long.

LeeD
09-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Swing faster, tossing arm moves out of the way faster.
Long serves, adopt high elbow, high hand finish just after ball contact, allowing the rackethead to come thru the ball ahead of the hand.