PDA

View Full Version : Do you use anything other than your arm in a 1hbh slice?

BirdWalkR
09-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Are you supposed to use core muscles somehow? or is it all just arm with a shoulder dip

zapvor
09-18-2011, 04:40 PM
dude you use your entire body on the shot

user92626
09-18-2011, 04:55 PM
You have to use your brain. No good without a brain.

gregor.b
09-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Are you supposed to use core muscles somehow? or is it all just arm with a shoulder dip

Look for a Fed or Rafter b/hand slice video.U Tube it.

Manus Domini
09-18-2011, 06:23 PM
All of your body goes into the shot

Roy125
09-18-2011, 06:39 PM
You step into the slice with your whole body like the rest of your shots.

Ash_Smith
09-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Slice uses traps and delts to produce power - try to feel that you are squeezing your shoulder blades together through the extension phase of the swing.

cheers

SystemicAnomaly
09-18-2011, 11:52 PM
^ Very good.

If you only use your arm, you may be putting too much stress on your elbow or shoulder. Take a look at how much Roger coils up for his BH , be it slice or topspin (see image below). The BH forward swing often starts by driving off the back foot. The body then uncoils a bit before the arm and racket continue on its own. Yes, there is much less body rotation that we see for the FH or 2-handed BH. Nonetheless, the body rotation is still important to minimize stress to the elbow and shoulder.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCWYxCQmXMucX8nRCYHxMoPz_uE0yNu goVTCSAPHg9aVKRYP5E8w

larry10s
09-19-2011, 04:27 AM
for the op ^^^^ thats a topspin bh roger is about to hit i beleive

Limpinhitter
09-19-2011, 05:24 AM

Your swing should be about 60% upper body rotation on a 1hb slice and about 50% on a 1hb TS backhand. On a slice, your back should be turned about 3/4 to the target on the backswing.

Check out the backhand slices of Rosewall, Emerson, Laver and Edberg.

SystemicAnomaly
09-19-2011, 06:33 AM
for the op ^^^^ thats a topspin bh roger is about to hit i beleive

Doesn't matter. As I indicated, he coils for both the slice and topspin BH.

RoddickAce
09-19-2011, 06:36 AM
http://www.tennis4everyone.com/images/stories/tips/2011/federer-slice-bh1.jpg

There.

Limpinhitter
09-19-2011, 10:22 AM
http://www.tennis4everyone.com/images/stories/tips/2011/federer-slice-bh1.jpg

There.

Fed is not the best example of a backhand slice. First, it's more of a chop than a slice. Second, he uses almost all arm and very little UBR.

Ash_Smith
09-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Limpin

Are you suggesting 60% upper body rotation prior to contact or as a total through contact? The slice backhand has the least amount of upper body rotation as the non hitting arm should pull back (as if trying to put your elbow in your back pocket) to engage the traps and delts, this limits the amount of rotation. Those with the most effective slice don't open their shoulders to the court as much as those with a floaty slice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YE-k1QwZfg&feature=related

This Fed video shows it very well, with the body only opening up to recover, long after the 'stroke' is finished.

Cheers

Nellie
09-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I hit my BH slice more aggressively, while driving forward with my hips like a BH volley with more follow through.

fuzz nation
09-20-2011, 02:24 PM
The 1hbh slice is a very "right-sided" shot for a right hander - I'd say that the legs may be even more important for this shot than a two-handed backhand. Proper footwork, weight transfer, and hip rotation (or torque) all drive the stroke from the ground up.

With the right foot planted and a good weight transfer onto that leg, the right handed hitter can set that necessary backward pressure though the right hip. That torque into the player's racquet side hip is the basic engine for the shot. Try to set your weight onto your opposite foot for a slice and you'll find that the hip torque I'm talking about just isn't there. My left leg can only push my right hip laterally, not backward like my right leg which basically "loads" the stroke.

I also like to think of leaning into the shot with the image of bumping a door open with your shoulder while your arms are full of groceries or something. I think this is a good contributor for an ideal slice and leaves the shoulder with relatively little work to do, just as long as the timing is good. When stretched laterally, the racquet side foot plant still creates the leverage needed for the bh slice even if the hitter can't lean forward into the stroke.

FedExpress 333
09-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Lean into the shot, go down with the ball. Also, I respectfully disagree with Limpinhitter, Fed has the most effective slice in the pros. However, a rec player who is not dealing with the type of pace he deals with should hit more through the ball. And also, maybe 10-20% of the slice comes from UBR.

dozu
09-20-2011, 04:57 PM
I want to clarify a bit on the point of 'leaning into the shot'.

I can hit both the Fed type chop slice, or the Gonzo type knock/chip...

The Fed type chop slice seems to be what most of the juniors are taught today... very big component of high to low motion, so the body weight has to lean forward to put any forward momentum on the ball.... I think this motion is a bit more difficult to learn, but is more versatile.

The Gonzo type chip is basically an open-face block.... a very simple motion easy to learn, but the key to this shot is staying in balance from start to finish.. and leaning forward can be counter-productive... the arms motion feels very much like baseball umpire signaling 'safe'... and the arm already provides enough forward momentum, no need for excessive body lean.

dozu
09-20-2011, 05:28 PM
the difference between the 2 types of motion also can be seen in the different amount of UBR.

for the Fed-chop, more UBR is needed to provide the forward momentum, because the arm is providing so little.

while the Gonzo-block requires very little UBR, as the umpire 'safe !!' signal provides the forward momentum.

Mahboob Khan
09-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Obviously, you use your legs, and upper body turn, exactly the same way as you would do for your normal 1HBH drive, just that for the slice the racket face is bit open, and you drive the slice.

gunnd5000
09-21-2011, 02:41 PM
legs hips shoulders core- everything really