PDA

View Full Version : Playing for fun but with ambition.

mnm
09-19-2011, 04:46 AM
I'm playing this guy once a week or one every two week, who is around 2.5 and has no ambition to get better (but he says he has). We're mostly playing weekdays before lunch so we can play for 1.5-2 hours every time. I play tennis 2-4 days a week and i just keep beating this guy with 6-0,6-0,6-0,6-1,6-0 (or similar) every time.

I'm having trouble 'choosing' not to use my BH slice, which is very stable and good. Against better opponents i have to hit a topspin with my BH, but that is a risk that i have to take cause the slice won't give me anything against 5.0-5.5 players.

Anyway, i feel that i'm getting worse as a tennis player when i'm playing this guy. I choose the easy way and just slice and pushing, i approach the net often, and almost win every time. When i approach the net against better opponents i feel that i'm almost lost because the intensity is so much higher.

I really feel that my 'just for fun' playing with this guy is having an effect on my progress. Maybe i'm playing him to often and his bad temper just makes me slow and tired. I've been told from tennis coaches that "you should play all opponents", i guess thats right, but to what extend? 90% of the matches i play is against opponents that is significantly worse tennis player than me.

Sure i'm playing for fun, but when he doesn't show the slightest effort to get better and i feel that he slows me down every monday, is it worth it?

I do wanna get better in everything i do... and i am, but these mondays i'm not gaining anything. Sure it is good to practice the serve, but i just to second serves straight through.. i win so easy, so why try.

Thoughts?

goober
09-19-2011, 07:31 AM
I've been told from tennis coaches that "you should play all opponents", i guess thats right, but to what extend? 90% of the matches i play is against opponents that is significantly worse tennis player than me.

Thoughts?

What exactly are you expecting as an answer? Obvious solution: Find new opponents that are better.

mightyrick
09-19-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm playing this guy once a week or one every two week, who is around 2.5 and has no ambition to get better (but he says he has). We're mostly playing weekdays before lunch so we can play for 1.5-2 hours every time. I play tennis 2-4 days a week and i just keep beating this guy with 6-0,6-0,6-0,6-1,6-0 (or similar) every time.

I'm having trouble 'choosing' not to use my BH slice, which is very stable and good. Against better opponents i have to hit a topspin with my BH, but that is a risk that i have to take cause the slice won't give me anything against 5.0-5.5 players.

Dude, are you serious? You are practicing with a guy who is a 2.5 and you are trying to get weapons that will help you against a 5.0/5.5 player?

I really don't understand this. What level are you, exactly? Or what level do you think you are?

jdubbs
09-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Did you run out of players to play? When I started up again after a long layoff, I could barely hang with 3.0's and 4.0's were running me off the court.

As I leveled up, I stopped playing anyone less than 4.0, and now try to only find top 4.0's or 4.5's. Losing to better players is the only way to get better. I can't stand playing inferior players. Find better players to play.

ATP100
09-19-2011, 11:05 AM
This is the perfect guy to practice your volley on. When you play him, don't hit ANY ground strokes.

Practice your second serve and volley.

On his serve, chip and charge.

This will keep you challenged for a while and toughen you up a little mentally.

mightyrick
09-19-2011, 11:33 AM
This is the perfect guy to practice your volley on. When you play him, don't hit ANY ground strokes.

Practice your second serve and volley.

On his serve, chip and charge.

This will keep you challenged for a while and toughen you up a little mentally.

S&V? Um, this guy he's hitting with is a 2.5. This is more like "S&WTOGSACTB". Serve and Watch The Other Guy Shank And Chase The Ball.

The only thing he's going to get out of this is becoming an expert at is either chasing the ball out of court or watching the other guy chase the ball.

thug the bunny
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
I had this same problem as most of my buddies are pushers and did not show any real effort in getting better. I posted about it and got pretty much the same replies - find better opponents.

Luckily, in just the past couple months, two of my buds started picking it up a few clicks. They are leaning into their shots, going for angles, and are even hitting with topspin. Yay! When the 3 of us play, we are now having nice hard rallies with the end usually coming from a winner rather than a UE. I'm not sure, but maybe some of my cajoling them about hitting like a man worked...

mnm
09-20-2011, 06:14 AM
I've been thinking about it and i'm gonna dump this guy. The problem is to find a replacement, cause i still want to play about four days a week.

Anyway, thanks for the support. Hope to find anyone that is better than him soon.

I guess i would cope if he was trying to get better, but he ain't, and he seems pretty ungifted with tennis.

Caesar
09-20-2011, 06:19 AM
If you want to get more value out of your sessions with him, you sort of answered your own question - stop taking the easy way. Try and beat him with your worst shots. If your backhand DTL sucks, hit it at every opportunity until you're nailing it every time. If worst comes to worst, there is no opponent so bad that I can't practice my serve whilst playing him. Kicker, twister, slice - hit em all, rip em hard, keep at it until they're always in and jumping and moving a mile. Who cares if you doublefault games away?

At the end of the day though, your regular hitting partner needs to be around your level. A bit better is ideal.

Datacipher
09-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Dude, are you serious? You are practicing with a guy who is a 2.5 and you are trying to get weapons that will help you against a 5.0/5.5 player?

I really don't understand this. What level are you, exactly? Or what level do you think you are?

I thought the exact same thing on first reading....and if the OP was a 5.0 player....there wouldn't be any worry about "replacing" a once a weak or once every two weeks 2.5 partner....you would be getting NOTHING out of the sessions. Furthermore, if you were 5.0, your game wouldn't be harmed either...not only is a 5.0 so solid that he can easily adjust, you'd be playing so far down, it wouldn't even be your "game" you were using.

But then I realized the OP is a 3.0 who has been playing AROUND A YEAR.
plain stupid.

He also says 90% of his opponents are significantly worse players than him, but he only plays this guy 1 time per week, or every 2 weeks. Out of the 2-4 times a week he plays. So this makes all his other opponents significantly worse as well. Why point at this one guy?

None of the post makes much sense.

zapvor
09-20-2011, 06:49 AM
lol yea. to answer the question if i understand it, yes dump him and get someone better. you will improve more

Sim
09-20-2011, 07:08 AM
It's much better to play someone who is around your level or better. At least for me, when I know I'm playing someone where I don't even have to try to win, I have no motivation to begin with.

The times I improve the most are when I try my hardest and still lose. Then I can see the areas in my game that I need to work on.

When your coach says to play all players to improve, I doubt he means 2.5 players if you are 5.0 as they won't trouble you at all :-?

syc23
09-20-2011, 07:26 AM
For me, it's the opposite.

I've been playing a friend about once a week for about 5 weeks now, I only have about 2 months of experience whereas he's been playing for 3 years at club level.

The first 3 times was frustrating as I couldn't even win a game off him, he's a very safe player (pusher) as he just pushes the ball back with a variety of lobs, slices and more lobs, slices which is infuriating but the last 2 times I've managed to win a few games as my game has developed and have mixed up some shots/tactics.

I am determined to beat this guy soon.

I have played against other people in the clubs and have had better success even though they seem like better players than my friend as they have a much better stroke and aggressive games.

One thing it's helping my game development is to play as many different opponents to experience a variety of different match situations - it's certainly benefitted me rather than playing the same guy forever.

I'm getting beat up at the moment but I'm only going to improve by playing people who are better so I can work on how to elevate my game.

Nellie
09-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Everyone always wants to play better players, never to play less skilled opponents. If this is always the case, no one would ever play! Yes, it is great to play skilled players to improve, but you also have friends. Look at Caesar's point above about using the chance to practice your weak shots. If you need to keep points longer, hit shots right at your opponent. You can also tweak the rules for a more even match (e.g., - no second serves for you - one fault and you lose the point).