PDA

View Full Version : Greg Rusedski fans.

tricky nicky
07-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Why do you like Greg as a tennis player and a person.

I like him because he was the original rocket serve man........after Tanner but before Roddick.

regards,

tricky.

littlelleyton
07-09-2005, 11:46 AM
i think he has been somewhat successful because yes he has had a fantastic serve. i just wonder though what impact he would have had on the tennis scene if he had not come to the uk.

callitout
07-09-2005, 12:20 PM
He's a terrible player and just clinging on the fringe of the ATP tour at this point. Ive disliked him since he showed how classless he was after his loss to Sampras at the US Open in 2003. Rather than congratulating Pete for elevating his game at the crucial times, he said Sampras was lucky to beat him and wouldnt advance much further in the tournament. Pete would go on to win that same US Open. Hard to believe the guy has any fans at all. If you want to cheer for a Brit go with Murray or Henman. If you want a Canadian Wayne Gretzky plays a bit of tennis.

Z-Man
07-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Does he really have any fans? I thought everyone hated him for running his mouth. If he didn't play with an obscure racquet that one dude covets, we'd never hear about him on this board. The guy sux.

tricky nicky
07-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Okay, chill guys.....I'm not a fan............

reason I posted was because a new user called "rudsedski fan" (4 posts) answered one of my threads..........and I was thinking like Z-Man posted DOES HE HAVE ANY FANS?

I was hoping he will open up........

regards,

tricky

Grinder
07-09-2005, 03:58 PM
I like Rusedski because he's one of the few serve and volleyers left in the game. You can't go wrong with that huge lefty serve.

Rusedski Fan
07-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Well, where do I begin? I will hit a few points.

First, you have to be true fan. Not just when they win. I guess it must be easy to be a Federer fan. Federer is the best I have ever seen in 25 years of watching tennis. Flawless. Roger is a true artist. I respect him. Many days his matches bore me. With Greg, you never know what will happen. Could be a first round loss or he plays in the finals like tomorrow.

I became a Greg Rusedski fan in the mid nighties. I loved Rafter and the US Open Final he played against Rusedski was fun to watch because I couldn't lose. I then went to US tourneys every year to watch him play. Talked to him, his coach (Sven), his wife Lucy. Got to know him over the years. I watch all his matches. Some in person, taped, and on live TV. I began to follow his career. Followed his fan club and message board. I am from the US and have other guys I cheer for, but when I book a tourney, I want Greg to be there. I have seen him come back from wrist, knee, and foot surgeries. Who knows what he could have done if healthy during his prime years?

He and his wife Lucy are always involved in childrens charities. Really involved, not just by name. I bid on a ton of items he donates to **** charities. I win hard to find Rusedski items and help kids too. Good deal for me. He gives back to the game. I read about his fundraising dinners in British mags.

I love serve and volley. In an age of big returns, bigger tennis balls, slower courts, racquet technology, he is in a dying breed. A lefty serve and volleyer. He is not going to win every match. He is playing better recently, but has struggled with tough draws and lapses in play against players he should beat this year. I remain a true fan, not just jumping on the Andrew Murray band wagon. Everyone seems to have ditched Henman for Murray, what a shame. Murray will not crack the top 30 for the next 3 years if he does at all. We will see??? Time will tell.

I always love Greg's fire he shows in matches (remember the Roddick match). His tough losses to his rival, Tommy Robredo. Not much love for each other. Granted, his temper hurts him sometimes. He shows emotion, he fights hard. Greg is not the best returner, far from it. He is 32 with not much time left in tennis, so I hope he makes the most of it. Greg is still competive on the ATP tour.

I do collect his gear, racquets, and memorbillia. It is a fun hobby. His stuff is much harder to find, makes it more fun.

And the whole steroid deal. He and a few others stood up to the ATP and won their case. The ATP now has supplements from a clean lab to give to players. He won his case and shoved it down the ATP's throat. I like that he fought and never gave up on that cause like other falsely accused players (Ulirach, Korda). The game is better and cleaner because of it.

Regarding Sampras. That was one stupid statement he made in his career. I didn't agree with it then and still don't now. Dumb remark. It made him sound like a baby and a redass. But give the guy a break. Everyone loves Johnny Mac and Jimmy Connors. Those two never said a good word about anyone during their playing days. I don't see them get crap for that and they both did that for an entire career! That was one sound bite, not his entire career. To say you hate him for that??? A ten second sound bite??? That is a bit much.

He always plays Davis cup and represents Great Britain. He is considered by some a transplant from Canada. His mother is British. Henman dropped Davis Cup this year, Rusedski is now the anchor for the team. Hell, he carried the team this year. Was Mary Pierce considered a transplant when she won two French Opens? The French love her! Safin trained in Spain for better facilities. Is Safin a transplant? Is Sharapova for coming to the US? Silly argument, Greg is a Brit and always will be. He lives and breathes only for Britain. He may never have been loved like Tim Henman, but who has had a better career. Check the stats, you maybe surprised.

I am a fan, and will be a fan forever. He will be a tennis commentator very soon. We fans are out there! I love Spadea, that crazy rapper is good for the game. It should be a good match. I like them both but I pull for Greg.

Grinder
07-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Geez, now that's what I call a hardcore fan.

Z-Man
07-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Just as I suspected--you're also a fan of Spadea's rapping. I'll bet you have all of William Hung's records too. Come clean--you're Greg's brother or something, right? He beat you in a tournament when you were kids, and you've followed his career ever since?

Ok, just giving you a hard time. It takes a huge set of nads to stand up for someone like Greg. It takes even more self-confidence to choose a screen name like "Rusedski Fan". You are truly in elite company. It's like being a fan of Robotech or The Prisoner or Dick Enberg or GWAR or something like that.

Rusedski Fan
07-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Gwar, no. Robotech, no. Enberg, at least he is passionate about the game. I respect that.

Why am I elite company? Because I am not a front runner like alot of people are on these boards? I admit, I am intrigued by Nadal prior to the French. I watched him practice for 4 hrs on his day off before his first round match in Cincy Masters last year. All I could think of is this kid is going to be something special. I watched a few matches and buzzed by the practice courts and I could not believe he was still there.

I also thought about that regarding Jan-Michael Gambill. Not a horrible career for JanMike. Seems to be better than Blake, Ginipre, Fish, and Dent. I thought JanMike was going to be in the top 5. Injuries and being two handed from both sides hurt him. Fish is the guy that needs to get it together, fast.

I never saw Federer coming. The little I heard about him was he was the Johnny Mac of Junior tennis. Breaking racquets, arguing in the locker room with tourney officials. Now, he is the king of the sport. I never thought he was the next coming. But he is.

I do like Spadea. I met him in Memphis this year. He signed tennis balls for kids until everyone was done. And no, I did not try to battle rap him! Spadea is a character, good for the sometimes uptight sport.

Another thing, reality tv sucks! I would never watch American Idol, ever. The only reason I know about that guy is people in my office never shut up about him. Some radio station in Cleveland plays his song as a gag. Yikes!!!

Who is your guy Z-Man? Who is yours Grinder?

Grinder
07-09-2005, 07:15 PM
My favorite players are Goran Ivanisevic, Gustavo Kuerten and Andre Agassi.

I like several other players though and I understand what you mean about being a fan through the good and the bad as I have been with Alex Corretja, Albert Costa, Albert Portas, Felix Mantilla, Thomas Enqvist, Greg Rusedski, James Blake, Mark Philipoussis and Younes El Ayanoui.

Stuck
07-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Rusedski has always been a punk. When he said Sampras was lucky to beat him in that 2002 US Open, Sampras' response was a classic saying what do I care what a guy who has done nothing in the sport says about me especially one I just beat. Rusedski is a punk and I won't miss him when he leaves.

Sixpointone
07-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Rusedski Fan,

I must say that by reading your posts that you love and passion for both Greg and the game shine proudly through. And it is posts like yours that remind me why I joined this message board. A sincere thank you for sharing!

All My Best,
John

Yours!05
07-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Rusedski Fan,
I must say that by reading your posts that you love and passion for both Greg and the game shine proudly through. And it is posts like yours that remind me why I joined this message board.Beat me to it (and an improvement on mine).

raftermania
07-09-2005, 08:07 PM
I think there are more bald eagles than Canadian Greg "Traitor" Rusedski fans. But, everyone to their own. I'm glad you found something to like about him Rusedski Fan.

hyperwarrior
07-09-2005, 08:31 PM
People will "booed" him again this year at TMS Montreal and there's a reason!

Max G.
07-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Hehe. Well, I'm a fan - he serves and volleys, and he hits a slice backhand, and overall his game is pretty unusual for the current ATP. I'll certainly be rooting for him in the final.

And I would also like to respond to this poster:

He's a terrible player and just clinging on the fringe of the ATP tour at this point.

This is patently untrue. I don't think that anyone ranked 39th in the world is "clinging on the fringe" of the ATP tour. Sure, he's not going to be contending for Slams or Masters series events, but he's around his ranking is high enough so that he doesn't need play qualies for any level tournament.

Ive disliked him since he showed how classless he was after his loss to Sampras at the US Open in 2003. Rather than congratulating Pete for elevating his game at the crucial times, he said Sampras was lucky to beat him and wouldnt advance much further in the tournament.

Yes, I remember what he said. And frankly, I would MUCH rather have a player speak what he thinks rather than giving us the same meaningless politically correct BS that you seem to want. (Besides, much of it was true. Sampras was indeed a step and a half slower than he was in his prime, and Rusedski most certainly had his chances to win the match had he not been the total choker that he is. Too bad Rusedski went on to make a prediction about Sampras not winning, which turned out to be incorrect. )

Pete would go on to win that same US Open. Hard to believe the guy has any fans at all.

And I don't find it hard to believe at all - I like watching him play much more than I like watching the stereotypical baseline basher of the modern game, and it would take for him to be a heck of a horrible person off-court to influence my opinion of him as a tennis player.

If you want to cheer for a Brit go with Murray or Henman. If you want a Canadian Wayne Gretzky plays a bit of tennis.

None of whom has a game anything like Rusedski's. If anything, go with Dick Norman, or maybe Feliciano Lopez - they're the only guys that I can think of with games similar to his.

And in conclusion GO RUSEDSKI, give Vince a serve and volley beatdown! ;-)

Rusedski Fan
07-09-2005, 08:56 PM
That city should boo nobody. Where are the Expos? Thats right in DC. Luckily the ATP has not awarded the Canadian Masters to Toronto forever. I liked Toronto tourney much better than the tourney when it is your neck of the woods. Who is your best tennis player? Daniel Nestor right. I do hope to see the Habs back this year. I am a Bruins fan. NHL needs to come back, fast.

Rusedski Fan
07-09-2005, 09:03 PM
In a way, I am glad Rusedski ran his mouth about Sampras. It made Pete mad and probably got him focused. If I were a betting man, Pistol Pete hung that quote in his locker. Pete did shock the world and won his last Grand Slam. I was privledged to see that final and will always remember Pete going out on top. It was a great moment for a great champion. I wish other athletes like Pete and John Elway leave the sport when they are on top. It ends their era with class and grace.

Z-Man
07-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Ok--you're right. I also have a couple of guilty pleasures. Among them are posts by Frodo Baggins, Natural Light, The Real World, and Willie Coria.

Rabbit
07-10-2005, 12:18 PM
I didn't much like Rusedski's comments then either. I did, however, like Sampras' response upon hearing them "Greg who?".

I also didn't like Rusedski's behavior when he played Todd Martin at the Open in one of Martin's epic comebacks. The normally complacent Martin did get upset at Rusedski when Rusedski challenged the notion that Martin needed medical attention on court. Martin's response was "I'm kinda hurtin' here, Greg". His other response was to win the match. And, very un-Martinlike, he high fived the crowd at 2:00 AM after the match to celebrate and I think to rub it in a little.

I think the Williams learned much of their prowess in interviews from Rusedski. He has always elevated his importance and position to and in the game.

I could have just said "He's a punk" like someone did earlier, but I figured this was more elegant.

eqc6
07-10-2005, 01:07 PM
In a way, I am glad Rusedski ran his mouth about Sampras. It made Pete mad and probably got him focused. If I were a betting man, Pistol Pete hung that quote in his locker. Pete did shock the world and won his last Grand Slam. I was privledged to see that final and will always remember Pete going out on top. It was a great moment for a great champion. I wish other athletes like Pete and John Elway leave the sport when they are on top. It ends their era with class and grace.

This is why I'm hoping Agassi wins his one last major title before retiring :mrgreen:

arosen
07-10-2005, 03:00 PM
I am with Max G. on Greg. As ugly as Greg's persona is, his game is largely contrasting with what we usually see on tour and that is a major attraction point for me, as well. So he blows his mouth off. Big deal. I would take his incindiary interviews any time over the likes of Sampras's or Capriati's that are so boring you can see them just trying to get it over with. Thank god for Roddick and his comments, Safin, Serena ( with her predictable "I am such a Queen in your face" attitude). These are the kind of interviews that keep it fun, FUN is what we need. More controversy, baby, bring on the juice.

gugafanatic
07-10-2005, 03:32 PM
I lost all respect for Rusedski after his violent outbust against A.Rod a few yrs back at Wimbledon. I recall someone calling 'out' from the crowd on a key point during the 4th set of the match and subsequently greg paused during the rally which cost him the point. His comments following the changeover were obscene and uncalled for. Those comments have stayed with me and were heard by millions of aspiring young british fans. He made the following comments to the umpire: Why did you not replay the point. One wank*r calls out of the crowd and you let it happen. Well done you, well F***ing done!.

Marius_Hancu
07-10-2005, 03:33 PM
People will "booed" him again this year at TMS Montreal and there's a reason!

I saw his match two years ago on court 1 at TMS Montreal, and don't remember many boos. More like "aahs" at this serve and volley game. Let him live his life.

The guy has personality (not all positive in the standard sense) and knows tennis. Not conventional in many aspects, but adds to the game.

And yes, F. Lopez plays a game similar with him in some respects.

And what counts most, he's still a winner, as he just proved today beating Spadea in the final of Newport:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2005/newport_sunday.asp

callitout
07-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Max G makes some good points like "Rusedski is ranked 39." Unfortunately he's 82 in ATP race, and finished last year at 48. He's on a downward spiral, despite having won a very minor tournament on his best surface in Newport. I'll gladly eat my words if he can even make semis of a tennis masters event. No doubt the guys a good player, all ATP players are incredible but dissing Sampras seemed tasteless to me, and put him on the wrong side of history. If others disagree more power to them. As for the beauty of his game, I just dont see it. He's big and he hits the ball really hard and has very little in the way of a backhand or a return game. His movement, balance and agility are subpar at the ATP level. His size and power have carried him through in the past. Much respec to anyone who can stay in ATP top hundred with his level of athletecism. Personally I'd reather watch the athletes like Verdasco or Arazi any day compared to the CanadianEnglishman.

Z-Man
07-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Just watched him beat Spadea on TiVo. What a jerk. Toweled off in between every point when Vince was serving to break his rythm. The only thing he can do is serve hard. Boring. Hope he feels good about himself winning that tournament for 2nd-tier players. Too bad Spadea didn't win. He's fun in a tongue-in-cheek way whereas Greg is just a buffoon.

Rusedski Fan
07-10-2005, 06:56 PM
He won!!!!!!

Z-Man
07-10-2005, 07:00 PM
I know, I'm sorry too...
Now I'm off to scour **** for Greg's used sweatbands...

Rusedski Fan
07-10-2005, 07:16 PM
I like you z-man. Wit, wit, wit.

Rabbit
07-10-2005, 07:23 PM
I know, I'm sorry too...
Now I'm off to scour **** for Greg's used sweatbands...

At least he's not wearing his daughter's berets any more.

Boja
07-10-2005, 07:30 PM
I saw his match two years ago on court 1 at TMS Montreal, and don't remember many boos. More like "aahs" at this serve and volley game. Let him live his life.

I didn't see that match, but when I was in Montreal I recall him smiling and chatting with a bunch of fans, signing autographs, etc after he finished on a practice court. Most players weren't interested in talking with anyone, but I think he genuinely wanted to.

Being Canadian myself, I don't mind that he left Canada, there is little government support for most sports outside hockey. Yes, I know we have tons of athletes in Canada that did not leave, but it depends on individual situations. I don't get angry because he (or Lennox Lewis, for example) left, it was his choice.

I also remember a quote from some tennis legend (sorry I can't remember) who gave advice to any hopeful tennis player in Canada who wants to be successful: leave Canada fast.

Phil
07-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Hard to believe that there are fans, DEDICATED fans of this idiot. But then again, you get all kinds on the Internet...

He needs to use his money to BUY HIMSELF a backhand-something better than the 4.0 one that he has now.

spam
07-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Phil thats the worst post Ive ever seen from you,4.0 backhand ,surely you jest??

Phil
07-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Not really, Spam. Okasy, maybe it's a 4.5. Have you ever SEEN this guy's backhand? Possibly not, since he almost completely gave up hitting the flat/topspin backhand a couple years ago. Now he slices exclusively-even when he has an open court, he'll slice the ball, allowing his opponent to get back into position. Oh, and you can almost ALWAYS count on Greg to net an easy volley on a big point, and blow the match...done that many times.

spam
07-11-2005, 12:51 AM
He can hit hit it but like Graf he prefers the slice.It'll never be Guga's granted but if you ever saw the indoor masters final when he took out Sampras (Germany @97?)at his peak,it was working well enough.He used it to good effect beating Agassi a couple of years back too.
Gregs a decent guy off court (unlike some I could mention)and his behaviour on court better than a lot of higher profile players past and present.

Phil
07-11-2005, 01:04 AM
He may have lost confidence in it, but I doubt his top backhand was comparable to Graff's, which was textbook, on the rare occasions that she hit it. Funny that you would use his lone victory over Sampras 7 1/2 years ago as an example of a functioning backhand. That was his ONLY victory over Sampras in 10 tries.

I don't know him off court, of course, so he may very well be a nice guy, but on court and in interviews he comes off as a petulant punk and a sore loser. Guess he's his own worse PR guy.

spam
07-11-2005, 04:23 AM
A Sampras in his prime and in a masters series final ,so a good result never the less.
Anyway Greg must be a true Brit due to his annoying ability to beat those he shouldnt and lose spectacularly to lesser ranked players-how the hell does he have a 3-3 record with Hewitt,a guy who eats serve and volleyers for breakfast-especially those with no backhand .

NoBadMojo
07-11-2005, 09:29 AM
if anyone watched this guy play at the newport grass tourney, you will note that he can hit over on his backhand given sufficient time for him to lumber over to the ball in time..i dont think people have a problem w. his play tho....it's about his behaviour. i thought the words Rusedski and Fan were mutually exclusive ......

Kevin Patrick
07-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Just an FYI, spam. Sampras injured his back in the '98 Paris Indoors SF that year. He was considering defaulting to Rudedski.

Rusedski generally uses the topspin backhand when he play S&V players. Since there are virtually none nowadays, you won't see him hit it often.

I enjoyed watching Newport over the weekend. It was a throw-back to the way grass used to play(low bounces, bad bounces, etc.)
I also loved the setup of the center court, it looks like Forest Hills in the early 70s.

Rabbit
07-11-2005, 09:41 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and say that I have a better backhand than he does and I'm a 4.5. I watched the closeups of the guy warming up. He has more hitches than a town in the old west. Still, give the devil his due, he wins on grass.

Both Donald Dell and Barry McKay were noting how badly Rusedski choked.

I did watch the match and saw him hit one ball off the backhand that had any top on it at all. That was when Spadea the Gladiator was drawn to net and hit a volley that hit the top of the net and sat up for Rudeski. He hit a backhand drive (I hesitate to call it a topspin backhand) that was very nearly a brick. Rudeski's volleys are also suspect. He missed a ton of sitters at net yesterday.

On a brighter note, I did catch the doubles final on TTC. That was a good match.

I enjoyed watching Newport over the weekend. It was a throw-back to the way grass used to play(low bounces, bad bounces, etc.)
I also loved the setup of the center court, it looks like Forest Hills in the early 70s.

And, let's not forget our friends down under. The court always reminded me of the Kooyoung center court as well.

NoBadMojo
07-11-2005, 09:52 AM
i agree w. Kevin about Rude hitting over on his BH when he has to hit a target (when someone is at net). , and very rare these days when someone is actually at the net. he hit over on it against Moodie several times in the semi's altho i agree his backhand has far too many moving parts not working in unison. didnt see the final. also agree that Newport is a very cool venue..if anyone is traveling thru NewEngland when the weather is fine, they should stop at Newport Casino..the grass courts are usually open when the weather is good enough,and the courts available to the pubic, and for 15bucks or so, you can have a blast hitting on the grass....touring the grounds is nice too and checking out the ancient indoor court with the different set of rules is interesting..anyone w. a true passion for tennis should go

@wright
07-11-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm not much of a Rusedski fan, but I have to tip my hat to Rusedski fan, hanging in there and liking a player that most people wouldn't **** on to save his life if he were on fire. He's right, it's very easy being a fan of Federer, for his game and attitude, but I'd bet that Greggy doesn't have a lot of hardcore fans that have been supporting him since the mid 90's. So fan-of-the-guy no one likes, Budweiser salutes you...

baseliner
07-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Rusedski beat a baseliner on grass. It took him 3 sets and multiple match points at 4-5 in the third. 'Nough said.

Timecop
07-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I've always been a Rusedski fan.

Rusedski Fan
07-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Calm down Mr. Pepper. The guy has won titles before. He proved this week he belongs on the tour. He is at the end of his career. I hope he has the end of the year he had last year and plays well.

With Greg, as a fan since 94-95, he never makes it boring. Call me a crack head or make fun, but I can't wait to see him play in Indy next week.

I want to see different players, not the same three players that ESPN thinks should be shown every tourney. (Roddick, Federer, and Agassi) I enjoy those guys, but maybe expand the game more. Show Donald Young trying to play with the big boys. Show Vince Spadea scrapping in the first round. I don't want to see Federer kill a Noam Okun the first round. Show me a tough 3 set match like the Newport Final.

Nadal has shown the way, show the exciting players with grit and it will promote the game. Look what Nadal has done in two months. Expand your coverage by mixing in some good matches before the Heavyweights come on.

Rabbit
07-12-2005, 03:41 AM
My response to paragraphs 1 and 2 is that Rudeski will always be

A legend in his own mind.

Paragraphs 3 and 4 I agree with wholeheartedly.

I am calm.

spam
07-12-2005, 07:04 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and say that I have a better backhand than he does and I'm a 4.5. I watched the closeups of the guy warming up. He has more hitches than a town in the old west. Still, give the devil his due, he wins on grass.

Both Donald Dell and Barry McKay were noting how badly Rusedski choked.

I did watch the match and saw him hit one ball off the backhand that had any top on it at all. That was when Spadea the Gladiator was drawn to net and hit a volley that hit the top of the net and sat up for Rudeski. He hit a backhand drive (I hesitate to call it a topspin backhand) that was very nearly a brick. Rudeski's volleys are also suspect. He missed a ton of sitters at net yesterday.

On a brighter note, I did catch the doubles final on TTC. That was a good match.

And, let's not forget our friends down under. The court always reminded me of the Kooyoung center court as well.Better than an ATP pro who has reached the final of the US open??It may not be as pretty as yours but Ill go out on a limb and bet its a damn site more effective ,hitches and all.

Kevin T
07-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Here is a list of my favorites.
Tennis= Rusedski
Baseball= John Rocker
Football= Terrell Owens
Basketball= Bill Laimbeer
Hockey= Jeremy Roenick
Religion= Satan
Politics= USSR
Pop Music= The Monkees

Rusedski Fan
07-12-2005, 10:02 AM
I agree with Roenick. He should not by on your list of beat to hate. NHL players are getting screwed.