PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Tight, Fingers Loose?

SeasonedNovice
09-19-2011, 12:47 PM
As far as ground strokes go, I feel like I could be getting more Control, More Power, and Prevent Wrist Soreness. I also feel like this can be done by correcting my grip.

My question isn't so much how TIGHT I should grip it (I know it should be fairly loose for ground strokes), Rather HOW should I grip it.

I read somewhere to keep the Wrist Tight and keep you Fingers / hand somewhat loosened-up.

Also, It Isn't Un-common for my racquet to "Wobble" on a hard Ground stroke.

But when I try to correct this by gripping it harder, it feels "Choked" and I lose Feel / Control.

You’re Thoughts?

LeeD
09-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Scale of one to ten, ten being a death grip, BOTH wrist and fingers around 2.5.
Use SURFACE area and/or an aggressive swing to avoid racket twisting.
If you choose a lighter weight or lighter SW racket, you will need more aggressive swing or tighter grip at the moment of impact.
If you choose a heavier racket, or heavier SW, the momentum keeps twisting from happening.
Your choice.
The more tennis balls you hit, the LESS YOU WILL MISHIT, so the racket twisting problem solves itself with practice and play time.

Giannis
09-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Ye, try to be fairly loose and just firm up your grip before contact.

DjokovicForTheWin
09-19-2011, 01:24 PM
If you choose a lighter weight or lighter SW racket, you will need more aggressive swing or tighter grip at the moment of impact.
If you choose a heavier racket, or heavier SW, the momentum keeps twisting from happening.
Your choice.
The more tennis balls you hit, the LESS YOU WILL MISHIT, so the racket twisting problem solves itself with practice and play time.

What do you mean by SURFACE area? You mean spread your fingers out more on the grip?

LeeD
09-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Depends on the player.
Some players have really aggressive swings, can overcome the ball by their swing speed.
Some players have less aggressive swings, and therefore allow the ball to play their rackets, so they need to hold tighter, use bigger grips, or swing faster to overcome the incoming ball.
A hammer grip can often lead to faster swing speeds.
A spread finger pistol grip can lead to more control and more precision, lessening the NEED for a fast swing speed.
Which applies to you?

TennisCJC
09-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Your choice.

Good post. I suggest heavy racket and/or heavy SW is best option as requiring faster swingspeed to handle pace is a hard ask in my view. It does not make sense to me to say your opponent just hit a really hard fast shot and now your best option is to swing faster than normal to handle the impact. I think you are better off taking your normal or slightly faster swing with as heavy a racket/SW as you can handle as it is easier to time. With a heavy racket as long as you are accelerating just before and thru contact, it will not twist much unless you really hit it off center.

SystemicAnomaly
09-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Better tho think of the wrist as firm, not tight. Fingers are relaxed most of the time but will firm up on the forward swing just prior to contact.