PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on the two handed backhand

Rob.D
09-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi, I have a problem on my backhand side. (who doesnt!). Im roughly a 4.0player (UK self rated) and have been playing for 2 and a bit years. my problem is in generating pace on the backward side. i have a two handed back hand. i love returning serve on my backward and this evening i was picking off winners down the line returning on the deuce side of the court and deep on the advantage side. however once in a rally if someone hits a pace shot to my backhand i can put it back no problem. however i simply cannot attack off of this side when i get a short or slow ball. i feel that it really holds my whole game back as an opponent can simply football or slice to my backhand and i cannot keep them on defence with out moonballing back. i don't have a video just now but i just cannot generate and meaningful pace off of this wing. does anyone have any ideas suggestions as to how to address this?

Any other info you would like please ask any any suggestions welcome!

Cheers, Rob

ho
09-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi, I have a problem on my backhand side. (who doesnt!). Im roughly a 4.0player (UK self rated) and have been playing for 2 and a bit years. my problem is in generating pace on the backward side. i have a two handed back hand. i love returning serve on my backward and this evening i was picking off winners down the line returning on the deuce side of the court and deep on the advantage side. however once in a rally if someone hits a pace shot to my backhand i can put it back no problem. however i simply cannot attack off of this side when i get a short or slow ball. i feel that it really holds my whole game back as an opponent can simply football or slice to my backhand and i cannot keep them on defence with out moonballing back. i don't have a video just now but i just cannot generate and meaningful pace off of this wing. does anyone have any ideas suggestions as to how to address this?

Cheers, Rob
2HBH is hitted with the whole body and arm as one unit, if you do that, power will come with no problem. Extend your arms far out will help too.

LeeD
09-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Yeah, long fast swing, like your forehand, use the legs, turn the torso, and hit thru the ball unlike a SW gripped 1hFh.

fuzz nation
09-20-2011, 02:35 PM
My two-hander runs much better when I get good extension of my left arm (I'm a righty) through the contact zone as I make my step and turn to drive the shot. I start with that arm slightly bent, but the deliberate extension as I swing gives me my best release of the racquet through the ball.

You might also check that you're not gripping too tightly with both hands. It's not likely that the racquet's going to fly away with both hands holding on to it, but too much grip pressure can really slow it down. Excessive muscle tension kills fluid, loose motion. I like to drive the racquet with the "hooks" of my fingers on my left hand, while only actually gripping the racquet with my right hand.

Limpinhitter
09-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Cheers, Rob

Your "backward side?" A little Freudian slip there? ;-)

But, seriously, from what you describe, I'm going to guess that you have a very short swing on your 2hb side. That would still allow you to use your opponent's pace to generate your own by simply making clean contact on returns and hard hit groundies. But, a short swing doesn't work well to generate your own pace, because you can't generate racquet speed.

If that's the case (and even if it's not), it's essential to understand 2 things:

1) The swing on a 2hb comes mostly from rotating your upper body back and forth. It's impossible to move your hands very far from directly in front of your sternum with 2 hands on the racquet without bending your elbows. So, the swing in a 2hb is a combination of upper body rotation and elbow bend. Without both, your swing will be very short which makes it difficult to generate racquet speed.

2) A 2hb is basically a left handed fh (assuming you're a righty). You have to dominate and swing through with your left hand and let your right hand be passive.

Hope that helps.

LeeD
09-20-2011, 05:17 PM
And one very good drill for upping pace on the 2hbh is to use that stroke to START all your rallys, when you are just hitting with someone or 's. Drop feed, one bounce, then hit the first ball kinda hard, but in control. You'll soon learn to use your entire body, from ankles thru shoulder turn, to up the pace.
You can do this against a wall, also.

Mahboob Khan
09-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Here is a drill for you:

Set up:
A partner or coach
A basket full of tennis balls
A tennis court
Yourself and your racket

Drill 1:

Have your partner feed to you easy/high balls in the midcourt .. slightly more toward ad court ...

First ball use your FH
Second ball use your BH
Third ball use your FH
Fourth ball use your BH

The drill continues and you alternate between forehand and backhand, and you may hit insideout and inside in.

All those advices are good but you ought to have drill to practice the problem shot .. the problem situation.

Drill 2:

Have someone feed a short ball to your BH,
You drive your 2HBH down the line and come to the net for volley.

Drill 3:

Have someone feed a short ball to your BH,
You slice your 1HBH down the line and come to the net for volley.

Repetitions will make you comfortable with this situation.

Drill 4:

You may also try to hit some lefty forehands to train your left hand (if you are a right handed player).

Have a partner to feed you:
6 balls to your lefty forehand,
6 balls to your 2-handed BH
6 balls to your lefty forehand,
6 balls to your 2-handed BH
and the drill continues.

Do the above four drills for a week and you will feel a remarkable difference.

Mahboob Khan

mrc
09-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Two hander here...The only way I know to really improve the shot is to hit a ton of them and work on really being loose and "lettting it go".
The other way that works for me is not being scared (especially when the ball is up in the strike zone) to flatten the two hander out and really jump on it. It helps with pace and penetrating the court.

Bertie B
09-20-2011, 08:16 PM
And one very good drill for upping pace on the 2hbh is to use that stroke to START all your rallys, when you are just hitting with someone or 's. Drop feed, one bounce, then hit the first ball kinda hard, but in control. You'll soon learn to use your entire body, from ankles thru shoulder turn, to up the pace.
You can do this against a wall, also.

This.

Sounds like you have footwork & weight transfer issues. Until you've mastered the closed/neutral backhand stances, forget about hitting your backhand open stance.

Assuming you're right-handed; you want to load up on the back leg, as though you were going to hit an open-stance backhand, then step/transfer your weight onto the front leg & into the shot.

A great drill is the drop feed or drop hit. This will force you to create power off a dead ball. Simply drop the ball on your left side and hit a normal backhand off the first bounce. If you have to lunge, you're doing something wrong. If you have no pace, you're doing something wrong.

thug the bunny
09-21-2011, 11:12 AM
In an analogy to the TS forehand, pull the stick back so it is pointing up, and then as you start the forward swing, the head drops down so that the angle initially formed between the forearms and the shaft becomes a laid-back wrist c0ck.

Here's where I find I can add more power: unlike the FH where it is best to lag the wrist c0ck, I can release that wrist right through the contact since the 2HBH is more restricted in the wrists and arms and you can't really 'flip' the racquet. I think I am reiterating what fuzz said in different words. After this kind of contact, my left arm straightens and extends out towards the target, then up and around the body.

Rob.D
09-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey folks, thanks for all the advice, I've read them all but hectic week at work so couldn't find a good time to reply. Iv'e been out this evening working on the things you suggested against a wall. Video is uploading to youtube as I'm typing this so Ill link to it shortly. I found a great improvement by focusing on really taking my racket all the way back to before accelerating it forwards. Had a quick hit with someone afterwards and it felt much better. Not anything superb but a lot more depth and pace which was nice.

Ill link to the video when its up, if you can take a look and let me know what you think that would be great.

Cheers, Rob

Rob.D
09-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Here we go youtube uploaded. please watch the whole clip as the start takes a few hits to get a rhythm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdpXIzUPWrM

Ive also added this to the first post

thug the bunny
09-23-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm not a coach, but I think your bh stroke looks fine, looks kinda like mine, just you were practicing so you footwork and body posture were a little lazy IMO. I think your wrist release is nice. I dunno, but when I want to smoke a 2hbh, I have to get a good lean into the ball. Unlike a TS FH where you can hit off your back foot falling backwards and still generate some pace, the 2hbh needs some forward momentum to get pace. Lean into it!

Rob.D
09-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Cheers Thug,

This was me really trying to hit through the ball and take a long swing. My footwork I thought was ok considering it was against a wall so there is a lot less time to react to the ball etc. I would suggest in a match that it would be slightly better but my footwork positioning I find less natural from the backhand side I general. Its getting there though I think!