PDA

View Full Version : Nadal vs. Berdych(spoiler)

Boy Wonder
07-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Who will come out on top in this match? Nadal is cruising again on the red stuff, beating a Ferrero on his comeback trail and Robredo today 6-3 6-3. He enters tomorrow's final with a 28 claycourt win streak on the line, but tomorrow's task should not be underestimated. The task is quite tall(literally) in Berdych, who beat Vanek today 7-5 6-1, and brings the brute force that compares him to Ivan Lendly and his very smooth moving. Berdych was also the one who took down a man named Federer at the Olympics last year. Here's what Berdych had to say about tomorrow's final and how history is being made tomorrow: "I can't say that I expected to reach the final. I never look at the draw in advance. When I win the first match, then I want to win the second and so on," said Berdych after the semifinal win. "Rafael is the best player on clay, so it will be very tough to beat him. I'll try to stick to my usual game and serve well. I have to avoid playing long rallies against him, since he's like a machine," continued the Prostejov-resident, who is the first Czech in the Swedish Open final since Bohdan Ulihrach in 2001.

The last time two teenagers faced each other in a final on the ATP circuit was in Delray Beach in 1999, when Lleyton Hewitt, then 18, scored a win over 18-year-old Xavier Malisse. This marks the first time since 1982 that two teenagers meet in the Bastad final. That year Mats Wilander defeated countryman Henrik Sundstrom to win the title, his second after Roland Garros.

Source: http://www.swedishopen.org/news/Default.asp?lang=en

ATXtennisaddict
07-09-2005, 10:51 AM
It's pretty damned obvious who's gonna win.

arosen
07-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Funny how nobody gives Berdich a chance. Me neither. Rafa owns clay right now. It would take a miracle for Berdich to beat him.

Grinder
07-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Nadal is obviously the heavy favorite, but Berdych is solid on claycourt. Who knows, his big hitting, aggressive baseline style might match up well against Nadal.

tricky nicky
07-09-2005, 03:10 PM
it's gonna be some match..... both big from the baseline on clay..........

Berdych his time is due for a good result that reflects his talent.....

Rafa might be tiring somewhat.

regards,

tricky.

Babblelot
07-09-2005, 03:52 PM
A. Has Rafa lost a match on clay this year?

B. This is a great result for Berdych, who's been disappointing since reaching 4R at 2004 US Open.

Rafa--no contest.

Grinder
07-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Nadal lost to Gaudio earlier this year 6-0 0-6 1-6 and Andreev 5-7 2-6.

Boy Wonder
07-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Nadal lost to Gaudio earlier this year 6-0 0-6 1-6 and Andreev 5-7 2-6.

Speaking of that match against Gaudio, was the play as lopsided as the score? I'm not surprised about Andreev as I heard that he was a great claycourt player, but a win against the king, Nadal? Now that shows something!