PDA

View Full Version : few serves

k factor fan
09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
just me hitting a few serves after a 3 hour match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKJBWvDzIGQ&feature=channel_video_title i know it's not a good serve and you lot could probably tell me thousands of things to correct with it but a few hints would be much appreciated thanks

darthfedererr
09-20-2011, 10:53 AM
racket arm is just a BIT far behind ya...tighten it up while keeping the same looseness and good timing with the toss.

it just looks like a bit of lag time, like how djokovic used to serve in 2009 to fixing his serve in late 2010. his arm would lag behind.

LeeD
09-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Bend the right elbow more during trophy, so you get more accuracy, AND more power....aka...controlled power. Tighter package ='s control with power. Loose package ='s power without control.

zapvor
09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
pretty good motion. the only thing that stands out to me is that going into the follow through you look as though you are forcing the arm to come down and around. but everything else is good. crazy knee bend!

Limpinhitter
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
just me hitting a few serves after a 3 hour match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKJBWvDzIGQ&feature=channel_video_title i know it's not a good serve and you lot could probably tell me thousands of things to correct with it but a few hints would be much appreciated thanks

IMO, you have excellent upper body rotation, and tempo. But, your hitting arm seems a bit over extended in the windup. It's too far away from your body. When you overextend you lose strength. Try bending your elbow a little sooner in the windup.

LeeD
09-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Lots of good players start their motion with the elbow relatively straight, but they all BEND they elbow to achieve the trophy position.

papa
09-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I really like it - its smooth & consistent. Not sure I'd change much if anything.

Chas Tennis
09-20-2011, 02:35 PM
I caught one frame at impact at 8 seconds of the video (added 9/23). Your knees almost had a 90 bend in them. Zapov mentioned 'crazy knees' also. You didn't use your legs properly or maybe re-bent them if that makes sense? Another does not look correct but some look straighter. (added 9/23)

That is not current pro-serve. Compare to other serves on the internet.

When the racket is in the right position the knees thrust up and finish straight before impact I believe. Because of the moment of inertia of the bent arm & racket as the body goes up the racket is left behind and it 'loads' the internal shoulder rotator muscles by stretching them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

They get stretched and later when the arm is up and straight they unwind very rapidly to provide the biggest contribution to the serve's power. Search internal shoulder rotation + serve TW forum & internet. Don't practice without understanding the safety issues in recent threads.

There is another possibility - the iphone/other (?) camera may have some distortions because it is not a high speed video camera. Look at a ceiling fan with your iphone and see how straight the blades are.

See airplane prop with iphone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

LeeD
09-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Personally, I think the knees are 90 degrees at trophy, and straighten thru impact just fine.
That motion is a serve from a 4.5+ player. + what is a good question, as we only see the serves from a tired player.

bageler
09-23-2011, 06:07 PM
This is kind of a comment / question, as I'd like to see what others think. What type of game do play? Baseliner, all-courter, serve & volley? Your follow thru seems to suggest you serve & volley, you’re almost in between the base line and the service line on your follow thru, it looks like you are maybe one step and a split step from being in a good volley position at the tee. You may find yourself in a bad position against a good returner if you are not advancing to the net.

Mighty Matteo
09-24-2011, 06:38 AM
It looks as if you are starting your knee bend a little too early in the motion.