PDA

View Full Version : Are you a fan of WTT?

Rusedski Fan
07-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Fan or a Hater?

Rusedski Fan
07-09-2005, 09:15 PM
I have never seen it. I like Superset tennis to bring people to our great sport. I just can't believe I have never seen WTT, ever. I want to check it out to forge an opinion. I like Superset and the Delta Tour. I would love to see more College Tennis and more televised Challenger and Futures events.

I would love to see THE TENNIS CHANNEL ON ALL BASIC CABLE AND SATELITE PROVIDERS. The dream won't die.

Ronaldo
07-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Watched WTT since the 70s. Have local inter-club matches using the same concept/format.

Sixpointone
07-09-2005, 10:16 PM
I think it is a fun change of pace, so that is a yes, I do enjoy it.

sinatra161
07-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi everyone,This is my first post on this forum.I am going to my first wtt match on the 19th with guest player being Lindsay Davenport.I can't wait!Me and my fiancée have been a fan of hers for a long time...

Phil Daddario
07-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi Sinatra! Welcome.

I'm definitely a fan. I've just seen today's on TV, but my kid (one of them) enjoyed it and so did I. You get the atmosphere from just watching.

I'm all for it. Nice, viewer-friendly format. :D

sinatra161
07-09-2005, 10:36 PM
How long do matches usually last?

BankOfDad
07-09-2005, 10:40 PM
I saw Maria Sharapova 2 years ago when she had just come off of a good Wimbledon showing at age 16. It was a fun night of tennis, with a much more loose feel and the chance to be partisan and cheer for a team. After the match you could go on the court and get an autograph. I'm not into autographs but I like seeing how stars act and I hung out for a few minutes and watched her sign autographs. It was cool.

I went just this past week and neither team had one of their "stars" playing. The level of play was decent but not overly impressive. Still, it was fun. It was worth going and the price was cheap enough.

Phil Daddario
07-09-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm looking for good matchups against the Newport Beach Breakers, since they're the closest to me. The problem is finding out when to go. I think right now it might even be too late, I'm currently looking into tickets. Hopefully we'll get Navratilova or Hingis, since my family enjoys them, or maybe Sharapova.

I think Rafter is going, although I'm not sure he carries appeal with my kids. I certainly wouldn't mind watching him.

Sinatra, the matches weren't too long. The scoring system and everything is changed to make things go by much quicker. Plus all lets are played.

SaritaUTHorns
07-09-2005, 11:14 PM
I just got back from seeing my WTT match in Houston and tonight's feature player was Martina Narvratilova. It was a lot of fun! I really enjoyed it! It's a fun, relaxed, and entertaining atmosphere. And it's very affordable as well! The match lasted almost 3 hours, but that's with some overtime since the score was tied at the end. I'm very pleased and satisfied with the whole experience. I do have a question, though, in case anyone knows the answer. All lets are played in WTT as Phil said, and during the men's doubles the ball bounced off pretty high off the net and the returner's partner actually ran to the ball and returned it himself. I had no idea you could do that! Now, is this just a made-up rule for WTT or what?

Deuce
07-09-2005, 11:31 PM
It is a novelty.

It is not honest competition.

It is entertainment, not sport.

As long as 'fans' recognize these things, I suppose there is no harm.

Phil Daddario
07-09-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure. Did they get the point?

If the returner's partner could get it, you'd see a lot of people even poaching directly on serves. I don't think it's a rule, although I'll have to check. Maybe they can do it on lets.

I'm glad you had fun at the match. Anyone big playing when you were there?

sinatra161
07-10-2005, 12:57 AM
I saw Maria Sharapova 2 years ago when she had just come off of a good Wimbledon showing at age 16. It was a fun night of tennis, with a much more loose feel and the chance to be partisan and cheer for a team. After the match you could go on the court and get an autograph. I'm not into autographs but I like seeing how stars act and I hung out for a few minutes and watched her sign autographs. It was cool.

I went just this past week and neither team had one of their "stars" playing. The level of play was decent but not overly impressive. Still, it was fun. It was worth going and the price was cheap enough.

Wow,are meet and greets I guess you would call them the norm at wtt matches?

Rabbit
07-10-2005, 07:18 AM
I love it. I think it's good for the game and I wish that it would be reintroduced at the local level. It was a better vehicle for getting people in the game than the USTA leagues are. It encouraged fun more than winning and thereby lessened the cheating that goes on. I have considered purchasing a license for around here to see if there was any interest in starting it back up and eventually getting rid of the damn USTA leagues which are basically killing tennis at the club level.

AndrewD
07-10-2005, 07:34 AM
I've seen it when I was in the States and can't say I'm overly enthusiastic about it. Of course, it might be that it's geared specifically to an American audience so loses something in the translation for an Aussie like me LOL.

Anyway, I much preferred the college tennis I got to see. Wonderful standard of play at the Division I level, real tension during matches and, perhaps, a glimpse of some future stars.

Do you folk in the States get the college tennis on television? I didn't bother to check while I was there but if you don't it's a huge loss.

Babblelot
07-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Duece is correct in that it is truly entertainment...

...but what entertainment!!! And it's so intimate--the crowds are small and right on top of the players. I wish Chicago had a team. :( On TV, I've seen Roddick, Agassi, both Martinas, Johnny Mac, Connors, Steffi is going to make her debut this summer, and on-and-on.

The players are out there to ham it up and entertain the crowd. C'mon, Roddick, Agassi, Jonny Mac, Jimbo boring???? I don't think so.

SaritaUTHorns
07-10-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure. Did they get the point?

If the returner's partner could get it, you'd see a lot of people even poaching directly on serves. I don't think it's a rule, although I'll have to check. Maybe they can do it on lets.

I'm glad you had fun at the match. Anyone big playing when you were there?

Yeah, they did get the point. In fact, they hit a winner off of that let. And yes, they had a big player. Martina Navratilova played in the women's doubles, singles, and mixed doubles. She was the feature player for the night. :D

Phil Daddario
07-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Sounds awesome. :D

She just lost to Hingis yesterday 0-5, but you could really see how athletic she was. Amazing. Perfect backhand overheads, and her volleys were great.

I'm 48 too, but I just wish I could play close to that. LOL

With the different rules, I actually think that would be great for speeding things up. Maybe use it outside of WTT as well. It'd be much easier for people to pick up the scoring system, too. :P

Tennis Psycho
07-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Been to it a couple times. It is very fin and great for tennis!

theace21
07-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Have not been to a match since the very first years. Had a chance to see Nastase, Laver before they got out. It was great fun then...I couldn't even name a team now...

hotcoffee
07-10-2005, 04:42 PM
I work at a center that hosts our local WTT team and I must say its great for getting people into the sport. Every time we host a matchup we end up getting around 200 kids entering the clinics and even the pro players come and help out with teaching. Very hands on with the pros.

bluedevilinnj
07-11-2005, 06:22 AM
i just saw it for the first time on saturday (hingis-navratalova) and really liked it. i'm thinking of going to watch it live now, it looks like a good time.

GotGame?
07-11-2005, 07:48 AM
I saw the WTT Finals a while back, and I really wasn't too awed. The atmosphere was great, but it is not a substitute to watching an ATP or WTA match. It's definitely more for the 'fans'. The only 'big' names I recognized during that final was Myskina and Harkleroad, and I think there may have been others that I can't recall.

IvanYentl
07-11-2005, 08:21 AM
I'll watch just about any tennis and this includes weekenders hacking around on the local court, so this means I have watched and enjoyed WTT.

However, I will say that this push to jazz up tennis with introductory music as one would hear at a boxing match is pure silliness. Tennis does not lend itself to sport-as-entertainment B.S. the way basketball does. Any attempts to glitz up the sport of tennis are sure to fail.

Also the jerseys are just goofy. This isn't football.

Ben42
07-11-2005, 08:59 AM
I like the format. You get to see a lot of tennis and it’s not an all day affair.

slice bh compliment
07-11-2005, 09:10 AM
I've seen it when I was in the States and can't say I'm overly enthusiastic about it. Of course, it might be that it's geared specifically to an American audience so loses something in the translation for an Aussie like me LOL.

Anyway, I much preferred the college tennis I got to see. Wonderful standard of play at the Division I level, real tension during matches and, perhaps, a glimpse of some future stars.

Do you folk in the States get the college tennis on television? I didn't bother to check while I was there but if you don't it's a huge loss.

Very rare, so yeah, it's a huge loss. At first, it might be a ratings loser unless you get two top teams or a great national or regional rivalry, but exposure is what college tennis needs. It would be great if regional sports networks/affiliates picked up some good matches and advertised it more. Meanwhile, people, if you are anywhere in the States near a good college team, go watch, then play the next day. The matches are really accessible and the standard of tennis varies, but it is a blast and it's inspiring. (NOTE: do not be surprised if some of the names are hard to pronounce). I love it, even if it's a run of the mill dual match. I'm with AndrewD...and I actually think men's college tennis is the next best thing to Davis Cup. Well, I'm exaggerating there. Just a little, though.

WTT: Years ago, my family would go see the NY Apples play the Boston Lobsters and the LA Strings in the Garden. We'd also go to Forest Hills and then Flushing Meadow every year. Even back then we all knew Team Tennis was different from competitive pro tennis. The players exuded that, but it was fun for all. I've been in love with tennis ever since those days.

Been to lots of tennis matches over the years (college, ATP/WTA, Slams, Challengers, Satellites, Futures, Davis Cup, etc) but I've never been to a recent WTT match. Any major changes?

AndrewD: I'd love to read more about the differences b/n the US and the AUS sporting audiences. Do you think WTT would fail or have to be radically changed if there were an Aussie equivalent? Seriously, write another paragraph or two (or three) if you get a chance.

simi
07-11-2005, 11:41 AM
.....I wish that it would be reintroduced at the local level.....

Rabbit, if you are in the Southern California area, they do have local WTT leagues. I played one season a couple years ago, and had a lot of fun. Check around your area and you may find one club that sponsors a local WTT league.

Rabbit
07-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Negative. Not in SoCal....sigh....in SoMiss