PDA

View Full Version : hingus destroys navratilova in wtt

driger
07-09-2005, 09:58 PM
final score 5-0. hingus also won women's and mixed doubles. looked like hingus of old out there. taking the ball early, and moving the ball all over the court. she may be coming back. hingus passed navratilova at the net silly. women volleying more may be easier said than done.

Marius_Hancu
07-10-2005, 12:00 AM
it's Hingis, not Hingus

Andy Hewitt
07-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Good for her.

Ryoma Kun
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
the swiss are the best

at making hot chocolate

pound cat
07-10-2005, 04:20 AM
The ultimate frustration for a banned poster...perfect. LOL

Babblelot
07-10-2005, 05:50 AM
I was going to post that this morning. Not only did the 24! y/o pupil take the master to the woodshed--passing shot up the line to the left; passing shot up the line to the right; "if you come, I will pass you*"--but she looked georgeous doing it.

1997, at the age of 16!, Hingis won 3 of the 4 slams. Wow!

*partial credit to lobster for use of his signature ;)

tennis-n-sc
07-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Got to say, she looked good but it is hard to say how her game would do against the top 15 WTA players. She also looked great in doubles. But the competition was a little suspect as well. I think the WTT will be on ESPN2 each Saturday nite at 11:00 throughout the season, however long that is.

timmyboy
07-10-2005, 08:13 AM
she won't be top seed again, but it'll be a kick to watch her play.

K. Wilson Moose
07-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Would love to see Hingis compete again. Never really knew why she stopped playing, injuries?

Return_Ace
07-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Would love to see Hingis compete again. Never really knew why she stopped playing, injuries?

Yes. A left foot injury as far as i know.........

Rabbit
07-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Major lawsuit against Sergio Tacchini

NoBadMojo
07-10-2005, 09:49 AM
she also hinted that the game became too powerful for her. she was getting overpowered and overwhelmed out there and her strategic groundstrokes just werent holding up out there against the power players, and i think her serve became to weak to compete because the service returns have gotten better. my .o2

uNIVERSE mAN
07-10-2005, 10:02 AM
a has-been destroying a senior citizen is hardly something to make a thread over.

Babblelot
07-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Yes. A left foot injury as far as i know.........
Correct. Multiple surgeries on her foot (feet?).

Might be mental--as much as the world would love to see her back, she might know something we suspect. She dominated when there was a vaccuum on the WTA tour. It might be hard for someone who expected to be in every GS final now to see the door at the QFs....????

Having said that, I'd love to see her back. Other than, perhaps Roger, she's the only player with an all court game who constructs points. (Her second serve is week, but so are those of many other top women--Dementieva, Venus, Capriati come to mind.)

Babblelot
07-10-2005, 10:17 AM
a has-been destroying a senior citizen is hardly something to make a thread over.
Point well taken. After all, we haven't nearly flogged these three dead horses long enough:

1. Roger has no peer

2. Roger v. Roddick: rivalry or not

3. Hewitt got screwed! He's the real loser, not Andy!!!

:barf:

Btw, universe man, by definition, you should be kinder to smaller man. ;) From the very few posts of yours I've bothered to read, however, that's not the case at all.

Ronaldo
07-10-2005, 11:40 AM
MH still looks a little soft but she had a nice onion when she won those slams. Just as she ran the 'old ladees out of the game', she was dismissed by the power game. Need a lil smack on tour again. She should team with Anna and just play dubs

K. Wilson Moose
07-10-2005, 03:38 PM
She should team with Anna and just play dubs

I'd watch ;).

iscottius
07-10-2005, 07:36 PM
she also hinted that the game became too powerful for her. she was getting overpowered and overwhelmed out there and her strategic groundstrokes just werent holding up out there against the power players, and i think her serve became to weak to compete because the service returns have gotten better. my .o2

did hingis say this? or was this said about her?

uNIVERSE mAN
07-10-2005, 07:38 PM
actually hingis left because one of her feet became deformed due to bad shoes or something.

Exile
07-10-2005, 07:40 PM

pwn
</thread>
+1

tennissavy
07-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Correct. Multiple surgeries on her foot (feet?).

Might be mental--as much as the world would love to see her back, she might know something we suspect. She dominated when there was a vaccuum on the WTA tour. It might be hard for someone who expected to be in every GS final now to see the door at the QFs....????

Having said that, I'd love to see her back. Other than, perhaps Roger, she's the only player with an all court game who constructs points. (Her second serve is week, but so are those of many other top women--Dementieva, Venus, Capriati come to mind.)
Actually Henin-Hardenne and Capriati construct points very well and have a lot of variety.
Some weak second serves on the atp: Henman, Karlovic, Rusedski, Shalken (even his first serve is slower than the top 5 wta players)

ctbmar
07-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Of cos Nav's age can be Hingis's mother! Will you lose to your mother?

sandiegotennisboy
07-10-2005, 11:59 PM
this is not really impressive. nav is old and hingus is talented.

also, i think what drove hingis out of the game was more a psychological thing than anything physical....unless sergio taccini shoes are just that F'd up that people's feet end up looking like hrbaty's face after continuous use.

woohoo over her victory over an oldy!!! yeah right.

Steve Huff
07-11-2005, 06:35 AM
Rabbit, I thought her lawsuit was against Ellise, who made her shoes. Are they owned by Tacchini?

baseliner
07-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Hingis may not be able to cope with being a member of the pack. When you are the lead sled dog at 16 winning Grand Slams at will it tades some adjustment to being just one of the gals. She has all the money she will ever need. Does she have the motivation to return? Would love to see it happen but doubt we will see her full time return to the tour.

driger
07-11-2005, 07:44 AM
hingis obviously is eyeing a comeback, the real question is her serve. all the top womens players have great serves.

Babblelot
07-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Actually Henin-Hardenne...construct points very well and have a lot of variety.
Doh! She's only my favorite player (male or female).

Nice catch. Thanks. ;)

IvanYentl
07-11-2005, 08:17 AM
final score 5-0. hingus also won women's and mixed doubles. looked like hingus of old out there. taking the ball early, and moving the ball all over the court. she may be coming back. hingus passed navratilova at the net silly. women volleying more may be easier said than done.

I saw some of this as well and while Hingis looked good this match was played at a much lower (and slower) level than the top-level women's matches we see today (i.e. Venus vs. Sharapova).

Hingis was passing nicely but Navratilova is how old now, 49? Sure she's peerless in her age group but pit her against the top players and she'd be schooled mercilessly.

Also, I was most interested to see if Hingis had improved her serve and I believe the answer is no. The Hingis serve is still powder puff, that's one area she really needs to improve if she's going to hang with the heavies.

MonkeyPox
07-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Sadly, Navratilova would be schooled by the 50th ranked woman in singles. But in doubles, she's in the top five still which is pretty amazing.

Ronaldo
07-11-2005, 11:03 AM
ctb, looked more like she beat her dad.

IvanYentl
07-11-2005, 11:37 AM
ctb, looked more like she beat her dad.

nice one, I had to turn away and cringe at one point when Navratilova decided to wipe her glasses with her shirt-front, revealing way too much of the machinery underneath.

Rickson
07-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Who's hingus?

tennissavy
07-11-2005, 07:14 PM
I saw some of this as well and while Hingis looked good this match was played at a much lower (and slower) level than the top-level women's matches we see today (i.e. Venus vs. Sharapova).

Hingis was passing nicely but Navratilova is how old now, 49? Sure she's peerless in her age group but pit her against the top players and she'd be schooled mercilessly.

Also, I was most interested to see if Hingis had improved her serve and I believe the answer is no. The Hingis serve is still powder puff, that's one area she really needs to improve if she's going to hang with the heavies.

Hingis' serve was even softer than when she was on the tour. Only at the very end with set points did she let one rip out wide for an ace. When she was the dominant #1 player, her serve wasn't that bad. Toward the end of her career her serve got slower and more deliberate, a powder puff like you say. Clearly, this is one area she would need to improve. Henin greatly improved her serve. She now regularly serves around 113mph, which is better than Schalken!

iscottius
07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Actually Henin-Hardenne and Capriati construct points very well and have a lot of variety.
Some weak second serves on the atp: Henman, Karlovic, Rusedski, Shalken (even his first serve is slower than the top 5 wta players)

completely disagree with capriati constructing points well, always thought that was a big weakness in her game--mindless ball banger. great ball striker though.

agree about justine though

tennissavy
07-15-2005, 08:45 PM
completely disagree with capriati constructing points well, always thought that was a big weakness in her game--mindless ball banger. great ball striker though.

agree about justine though
I'm surprised that you think of Jen as a mindless ball banger. She often mixes up the pace. She has one of the best one handed backhand slices I have ever seen too. She also volleys very very well at the net like a great doubles player. I was always surprised that she didn't play more doubles. I have seen all her televised matches throughout her career and I equate her to Henin's caliber. She is equally great on the defense as she is on the offense. She is most comfortable on the baseline but often shows her skills all over the court and is highly competitive on all court surfaces.

iscottius
07-16-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm surprised that you think of Jen as a mindless ball banger. She often mixes up the pace. She has one of the best one handed backhand slices I have ever seen too. She also volleys very very well at the net like a great doubles player. I was always surprised that she didn't play more doubles. I have seen all her televised matches throughout her career and I equate her to Henin's caliber. She is equally great on the defense as she is on the offense. She is most comfortable on the baseline but often shows her skills all over the court and is highly competitive on all court surfaces.

I think that she serves to the same spot on both sides, can volley but mainly bashes from the baseline. She tries to dictate points with power over placement and makes no adjustments to her strategy--see Us Open semi's 2004, 2003. She never moved in on Dementievas 2nd serve.

I like her--she's real and I route for her, my opinion is based on watching and routing for her over the years. Her strengths are--Great Ball striker, Power, gritty tough fighter. Her weaknesses (now) serve, movement, and she kind of plays up the middle of the court waiting for her opponent to make an error or hit a winner. She does not move her oponent enough and create opportunities in the open court (see hingus). IMHO