PDA

View Full Version : imfamous slice backhand w/ sidespin

panache5
09-23-2011, 10:49 AM
How do you do it? I only play a slice backhand no topspin, I tried so hard to position my body in a different way or generate a swing path thats 3 to 7 o clock or just numerous way to create a stable, reliable slice backhand with a considerate amount of sidespin.

rkelley
09-23-2011, 11:06 AM
I do the slice/side spin on low balls. Just let your slicing motion pivot at your shoulder and maintain the racquet plane that you want as the racquet moves through the contact zone. The lower the ball is the more side spin it gets. Shoulder high balls are almost all back spin. Really low balls are mostly side spin with not much back spin.

They can be nasty little buggers to return because the still stay low and can have quite a bit of curve on them.

HEADfamilydynasty
09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I do the slice/side spin on low balls. Just let your slicing motion pivot at your shoulder and maintain the racquet plane that you want as the racquet moves through the contact zone. The lower the ball is the more side spin it gets. Shoulder high balls are almost all back spin. Really low balls are mostly side spin with not much back spin.

They can be nasty little buggers to return because the still stay low and can have quite a bit of curve on them.

Exactly
this is actually my go to slice. Its funny to run around a forehand a slice the ball aroud the post. Sidespin lobbing is also funny but not very effective depending on who you're playing.

Logan71
09-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Tim Henman used to play the sidespin approach going the other way really well where your racket moves away from you.
He would take the ball above his shoulder line and approach DTL and curve the ball back into the court.
He would prep his racket almost into an L shape and cut across it as he let the racket cut outwards towards the side of the court.
It's basically the opposite shot to the low ball which goes the other way,Dolgoplov uses it very frequently

LeeD
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
As said, it's much easier to impart some sidespin to your slice when the contact zone is below your knees, or above your shoulders. Ball curves opposite way for each.
In your strikezone, about upper chest, it's very hard to drive a slice and impart any sidespin, unless your name is JimmyConnors. Your shoulders are about lined up with the ball, and any swing away from forward just kills the pace and drive behind your slice.