PDA

View Full Version : Finally got better

AceServer
09-24-2011, 02:25 PM
The thing that stopped me from progressing was- in fact- my hitting partner.
I played with a high school sophomore today and was hitting about 300% better than if I hit with my middle school buddy. I fugred out the problem, which was that he had no pace whatsoever, and complained way too much. I figured out the thing that was blocking me from improving was my partner. Well just had to share it with you. Have a good day?

Giannis
09-24-2011, 02:59 PM
You don't really improve from just a hitting session with a better partner. It's always nice hitting with a good partner and it does help you improve faster, but you should keep playing with all kinds of partners.

AceServer
09-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, I know, but I have faster learning potential with a better partner.

Mick
09-24-2011, 04:27 PM
i have always thought it is more difficult to play with someone who is way better or way worse than i am because of the unpredictability in the way they place the ball. of course, better players would do it intentionally and worse players would do it through luck as they could not control where the ball would go.

AceServer
09-24-2011, 04:39 PM
i have always thought it is more difficult to play with someone who is way better or way worse than i am because of the unpredictability in the way they place the ball. of course, better players would do it intentionally and worse players would do it through luck as they could not control where the ball would go.

My buddies are way worse as described by you. The sophomore I played was way better than me, but I anticipated his shots as the touring pros, and I was successful in returning his crazy topspin shots. Well, most of them. :)

Mick
09-24-2011, 05:04 PM
yep. imo, having good hitting partners is crucial in improving as a tennis player. tennis racquets, strings, they don't matter as much in the scheme of things.

Tennis_Monk
09-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Well, I know, but I have faster learning potential with a better partner.

It depends. even with an average hitting partner, one can improve a lot.

try to bagel him 6-0. Already done that ? then how about hitting atleast 20 winners in that set . already done that ? how about hitting 15 Inside-in forehands winners and win the set. Already done that ? how about 15 inside-out forehand winners and win the set. Already done that ? how about a dozen volley winners in that set win. How about dozen cross court backhand winners. How about a half dozen down the line backhand rippers. already done that? how about hitting every shot flat or with loads of spin and vice versa.

Done that?. how about making sure that all your shots land within 1-3 feet of the baseline or how about they land and kick up shoulder high into the back court..

You get the idea.

TennisCJC
09-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Playing up and playing down are both good. And, don't ever be one of "those people" that say "if my opponent hit it harder and better, I would play better". You should be able to handle a lack of pace as well as pace and lack of pace is not an excuse to miss. Think about it - the goal of hitting baseline drives with pace is to get a short soft ball that you can take advantage of. If your opponent just gives you a soft ball for free than you should have the ability to take advantage of it. If it soft and deep, try rolling a hard topspin shot cross court that may elicit an error or a short ball, or hit a topspin drive to your opponents weaker side. If it soft and short, try hitting an approach shot firmly down the line and moving in to volley, or take the short ball hard back to your opponents weaker side, or try a cross court angle off the short ball, or try a drop shot off the short ball. A short, soft ball is the green light for you to take the offensive and you should work on taking charge with the options above. Taking charge wil require you to be a more complete player capable of hitting approach shots, volleys, overhead, angles, etc...