PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch?

DoctorBackhand
09-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Since I've started playing tennis I've been using a 2HB and it has been my best shot. But over the summer I began to experiment with the 1HB. I did like the feel of it as opposed to the twohander, but I couldn't control the ball as well.

However, I tried the 1hander again today at the wall and something just clicked that didn't click before. The footwork, control, everything came as naturally as my 2 hander. The only thing I didn't like was that I shanked a lot more than usual, but that was probably because I had less time to react.

Anyway, what I want to know is if I should switch to the one hander and risk destroying my best shot or keep the two hander and play it safe. Winter is coming soon and I would like to get in as much practice as possible with the stoke I'm going to use once the season starts. My 2 hander always breaks down during long breaks so I want to start practicing as soon as possible if I'm still going to use it.

Mick
09-24-2011, 05:50 PM
use both for now and when you feel that you don't need to use 2hbh any more, drop it.

Giannis
09-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Keep the two handed since it is your best shot, one handed requires better footwork and you might end up slicing a lot during intense match play.

Sim
09-25-2011, 08:01 AM
I'd say stick to the 2HBH if it's already a solid shot. No point switching unless you enjoy hitting a 1HBH much more than a 2HBH. What Giannis said about the slice is important as well.

If you're not comfortable slicing then definitely stay with the 2HBH

xFullCourtTenniSx
09-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Sampras gave up his 2 handed backhand when it was his best shot... Turned out okay for him...

But to be honest, there's no real reason to switch unless you're really athletic, then the 1 hander will give you a few more options on the full run and fully stretched. Otherwise, no real point to switch.

fuzz nation
09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
use both for now and when you feel that you don't need to use 2hbh any more, drop it.

I agree that there's no reason you can't work on both. In the long run, you'll be better off if you start hashing out which style of stroke is the more natural one for you now. Aside from figuring out your better fit with one or the other, you'll probably also find that there are advantages and limitations that come with either stroke.

I honestly use both just fine, along with a very reliable slice. Not saying that you need to do the same, but just pointing out that each stroke has enough going for it that you might be happy putting both to work.

The one-hander is easily more accurate and powerful for me, but it takes an extra fraction of a second to execute. If a faster shot lands deep in my end and gets "in" on me, I can quickly fight it off with a two-hander or use that stroke for an aggressive return of serve that needs little preparation. It may sound like this could get confusing, but for me it's a basic matter of quickly recognizing whether I can hit my one-hander or not. No biggie.

Whatever the case turns out to be best for you in terms of a topspin backhand, you still need a slice, too. If you neglect that shot, you simply won't be able to deal as effectively with every sort of shot that comes to you on that side.

purge
09-26-2011, 08:43 AM
i wouldnt switch if youre happy with your 2hander. building a 1HB up from scratch will take quite some time and during transition you will most likely curse your decision pretty soon.
but palying a 2hander doesnt mean you cant practice the 1hander to sneak one in every now and then during matches. for example i really like how tsonga has been doing it for a while now. generally hitting a very solid and stable 2hander in baseline rallies but switching to 1HB for passing shots on the run and stuff like that where he can make use of the better reach and more wrist action.