PDA

View Full Version : Nadal vs Berdych (LIVE, Spoiler)

peter
07-10-2005, 05:46 AM
Live comments from the Nadal - Berdych match in Båstad, Swedish Open.

peter
07-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Oh - boy! Berdych is outhitting Nadal. Berdych is hitting the ball hard and flat and Nadal just can't seem to handle it today. 6-2 to Berdych in the first set.

peter
07-10-2005, 05:54 AM
Nadal breaks back in the first game of the second set, and then hold his serve.

Grimjack
07-10-2005, 05:59 AM
And then breaks again.

peter
07-10-2005, 06:00 AM
And again. 4-0 to Nadal in the second set. Berdych looks a bit tired and Nadal has stepped up his game a bit.

peter
07-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Nadal takes second set 6-2 - 1 set each now.

Babblelot
07-10-2005, 06:25 AM
Nadal takes second set 6-2 - 1 set each now.
I'd be the most surprised poster if Berdych regains his composure. Once his game "goes off," he's easily rattled and frustrated.

Grinder
07-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Berdych has the break in the third at 2-1.

peter
07-10-2005, 07:17 AM
I'd be the most surprised poster if Berdych regains his composure. Once his game "goes off," he's easily rattled and frustrated.

I think that wasn't the case here - he simply got tired and started missing more balls here and there - not surprising considering how flat and hard he was hitting the ball all the time.

Nadal won 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 in the end - but I think that Berdych did show one thing - Nadal was on the defence almost all the match due to Berdych flat, hard and deep shots - if someone has the stamina to keep that type of play up the whole match then I think Nadal will be beaten.

Babblelot
07-10-2005, 07:32 AM
I think that wasn't the case here - he simply got tired and started missing more balls here and there - not surprising considering how flat and hard he was hitting the ball all the time.

Nadal won 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 in the end - but I think that Berdych did show one thing - Nadal was on the defence almost all the match due to Berdych flat, hard and deep shots - if someone has the stamina to keep that type of play up the whole match then I think Nadal will be beaten.
Thanks everyone for the updates. I'm truly jealous.

Grimjack, I see you're in Chicago, too. How are you following the match? The internet, do you have satelite, or is your cable carrier broadcasting the match?

Just curious...Comcast, my cable co., does not show much, nor do they pick up the "Tennis Channel."

Grimjack
07-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the updates. I'm truly jealous.

Grimjack, I see you're in Chicago, too. How are you following the match? The internet, do you have satelite, or is your cable carrier broadcasting the match?

Just curious...Comcast, my cable co., does not show much, nor do they pick up the "Tennis Channel."

Just following online.

VamosRafa
07-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Nadal finished with 15 unforced errors while Berdych had 43. Rafa had just 2 UE's in the second set. Perhaps "defense," especially targetting Berdych's backhand after the first set, was Rafa's "strategy."

gugafanatic
07-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Nadal set a new record by winning 7? clay court titles in a calender yr.

Berdych is also confirmed that his win over Fed at the Olympics was no fluke.

Adam Thirnis
07-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Nadal finished with 15 unforced errors while Berdych had 43. Rafa had just 2 UE's in the second set. Perhaps "defense," especially targetting Berdych's backhand after the first set, was Rafa's "strategy."

Minimising errors is the main strategy of all successful clay-courters.

peter
07-10-2005, 10:29 AM

I doubt that. Nadal didn't seem to have much of a strategy at all - he had to scramble to reach and return the fastballs from Berdych pretty much all the time (not just in the first set). Most balls from Nadal was returned more or less directly to Berdych all the time. I think one can count the number of balls where Nadal were in control on the fingers of one hand. Berdych more or less tried to go for broke, but didn't quite have the stamina to be able to keep it up the whole match.

The big difference between the first set and the other two was that Berdych shots (both forehand and backhand) didn't land quite as deep - and of those that did land deep - many more landed outside the sidelines.

I kept thinking of Thomas Enqvist while watching Berdych...

tennisboy87
07-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Nadal set a new record by winning 7? clay court titles in a calender yr Didn't Thomas Muster win more clay court titles than 7 during his great run in 1995?

Boy Wonder
07-10-2005, 10:35 AM

Nice to see you pop in more around here, Susan :) Nadal is now one title away from Federer's eight, but all of Nadal's came on clay. I did not watch the match nor follow it online, but I read that Rafa struggled a lot in the first set and Berdych was emposing his game plan nicely. It was good to see that Rafa figure out what to do and finished with an incredibly small number of UE's compared to Berdych. I think this match would have gotten tighter were it on a faster surface, so I think Nadal would have had to come out less sluggish on faster surfaces. Good win for Rafa! I hope he racks up two more in Germany and Croatia, than on to the hardcourts to perhaps make some more noise similar to Key Biscayne.

Boy Wonder
07-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Didn't Thomas Muster win more clay court titles than 7 during his great run in 1995?

yep, Muster won 11 clay court titles in '95: Muster's activity in 1995 (http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity/default.asp?year=1995&query=Singles&player=M099&x=19&y=4)