PDA

View Full Version : Who's the pro who did the racket-hurl winner?

x Southpaw x
07-10-2005, 05:28 AM
Posting same question here in case nobody reads the Rants&Raves board.

Anyone know who was the male pro who did a dive-volley racket-hurling lob-winner? The one I saw was on grasscourt. I don't think there's any other person who was successful with a racket-hurl return.

fedex27
07-10-2005, 06:31 AM
that was me

GOOOOOGA
07-10-2005, 07:25 AM
looks alot like grosjean. not sure tho

Tennis_baller
07-10-2005, 07:30 AM
I think you lose the point if the racket it not in your hands when you make contact with the ball.
*edit* i know you lose the point

TEAMRAFA
07-10-2005, 07:32 AM
looks alot like grosjean. not sure tho
thats the only point i saw that had someone throwing their racquet for the save and being successful.

lidoazndiabloboi
07-10-2005, 08:52 AM
jimmy conners once threw his racquet up when he was at the net. the ball hit the racquet and bounced over like a drop shot. he got the point

RafaN RichardG
07-10-2005, 09:02 AM
so you can actually throw your racquet and win the point? My friend did that, he actually practiced the shot- but it wasn't in a real tournament so I wasn't sure if it was legal or not.

Tennis_baller
07-10-2005, 09:12 AM
go to page 11, then number 24, letter i (http://dps.altdc3.va.twimm.net/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_4198.pdf)

x Southpaw x
07-10-2005, 09:19 AM
jimmy conners once threw his racquet up when he was at the net. the ball hit the racquet and bounced over like a drop shot. he got the point
LOL, that's a lot funnier than it is spectecular :p

x Southpaw x
07-10-2005, 09:22 AM
go to page 11, then number 24, letter i (http://dps.altdc3.va.twimm.net/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_4198.pdf)
Unless an update change was made... I guess he's right...
I wonder why the heck Connors and Grosjean did it then.

Tennis_baller
07-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Told ya so :)

Babblelot
07-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Likely a rules change since Connors did it circa 30 years ago.

They recently changed the rule with respect to the "two-touch" rule. Historically, if the ball, say, struck your strings/frame twice in one motion they used to say the point was over. Today, however, as long as the "two-touches" occur in one continuous motion (as opposed to deflecting it, then swatting at it), the point is still alive.

x Southpaw x
07-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Likely a rules change since Connors did it circa 30 years ago.

They recently changed the rule with respect to the "two-touch" rule. Historically, if the ball, say, struck your strings/frame twice in one motion they used to say the point was over. Today, however, as long as the "two-touches" occur in one continuous motion (as opposed to deflecting it, then swatting at it), the point is still alive.
Wow, you serious? Can you copy&paste a copy of the rule please?
It's rare but it does happen to my doubles partner and my opponents since I hit quite hard with topspin and my opponent double-hits in one motion while trying to counter drive.

AJK1
07-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Yeah i saw connors do that, but he DID NOT win the point! Much to the fans disgust. You must be holding the racquet when contact is made.

Kevin Patrick
07-11-2005, 08:14 AM
2004 Australian, Safin hit a dive volley-lob vs. Blake in which the racket came out of his hand at contact. Blake complained to the chair, to no avail. You could see it more clearly on slow-mo replay.
Legal or not, one of the most amazing shots I've seen.

x Southpaw x
07-11-2005, 06:53 PM
2004 Australian, Safin hit a dive volley-lob vs. Blake in which the racket came out of his hand at contact. Blake complained to the chair, to no avail. You could see it more clearly on slow-mo replay.
Legal or not, one of the most amazing shots I've seen.
Safin's such a charismatic guy... I use his racket =D or at least what his racket is advertising...

kian
07-12-2005, 03:48 AM
I posted this reply in your Rant & Raves thread.

Regarding the OP's video, it's the Sebestien Grosjean vs Hyung-Taik Lee match at Stella Artois.

I would think you're intelligent enough to differentiate between a Caucasian and an Asian?

Pretty obvious its Sebestien Grosjean don't you think then?

x Southpaw x
07-12-2005, 06:58 AM
I posted this reply in your Rant & Raves thread.

I would think you're intelligent enough to differentiate between a Caucasian and an Asian?

Pretty obvious its Sebestien Grosjean don't you think then?
Nope. Couldn't see their faces from so far. I don't know how the Taik-something something looks like either. And both were wearing caps. Sun shining down too.