PDA

View Full Version : Wilson n code - not!

David I.
04-28-2004, 02:12 AM
n code, potential unlocked: yet another useless technology offering more stiffness and power with less weight. When will racket manufacturers start hyping features that we really need - like more flexible, less power and more weight? How about making a racket that is heavy, flexible with medium power? I'd try that. Or maybe some useful features like a durable bumper guard or a bumper guard you can replace without replacing the gromments? How about a technology where you can easily adjust the weighting and balance? Or a really useful technology that would allow you to adjust the string tension?

Richard Pur
04-28-2004, 04:42 AM
Being able to easily adjust the weight and balance of a racquet is a great idea and definitely doable from a technology standpoint. You could possibly screw in or slide in little weights that come with the racket when you but it. They do this with some golf clubs, why not tennis rackets?

I'll tell you why. That may cut down on sales of racquets. Right now (unless your one that is comfortable customizing your racquet - which the general tennis public isn't), you have umpteen different racquets with different weights, balances and playing characteristics that people like us try out and buy all the time.

I like the idea. Maybe the manufacturers could recognize that mostly the "players" tinker around with their racquets and sell their players racquets with the adjustable option.

Let's call Wilson.

Rich

NoBadMojo
04-28-2004, 08:38 AM
wilson has/had a frame like this. forget which model, but it came w. two diff bumper guards. one was heavier and one was lighter so you could change the weight and balance of the bat merely by swapping out the bumper guards. i thought that was a good idea. i am sure if wilson saw that sales of that bat were spiking, they would do the same w. other models. ed

BreakPoint
04-28-2004, 12:54 PM
wilson has/had a frame like this. forget which model, but it came w. two diff bumper guards. one was heavier and one was lighter so you could change the weight and balance of the bat merely by swapping out the bumper guards. i thought that was a good idea. i am sure if wilson saw that sales of that bat were spiking, they would do the same w. other models. ed

That was the Hyper Hammer 6.3 (yellow and black model that Serena used at one time). Wilson has re-introduced this racquet, so you can still buy it, but I believe the reintroduced model only comes with the heavier bumper already installed. (Correct me if I'm wrong). So maybe the idea of switching between a light and a heavy bumper didn't catch on.

normnmiles
04-28-2004, 01:11 PM
You could possibly screw in or slide in little weights that come with the racket when you but it. They do this with some golf clubs, why not tennis rackets?

They could implement a technology similar to what Taylor Made uses for its irons. They could create slots around the frame can offer different metals with different weights that players could put into the slots.