PDA

View Full Version : How much do i need to train to become pro?

nextbigbigthing1
09-25-2011, 01:48 AM
I have got solid and good shots
technically sound and can all be weapons.
But i need more practice etc to take my game to pro level
and i need to get bigger and mentally tougher.
My coach says i hit the ball brilliantly but have "head deficiencies" .
Please suggest how i can improve this and how i can become pro.
do i need to get a ball machine etc.
Thanks

formula16
09-25-2011, 02:22 AM
how old are you and when did you start. I think this is going to be the most important factor.

USERNAME
09-25-2011, 02:29 AM
Ball machine? No. Good hitting partner and lots of court time is what you need if your technically solid. Also enter every open and qualy tourny you can find, that'll get you mentally tougher for sure. Play practice sets and tbs every chance you get as well.

JoelDali
09-25-2011, 05:28 AM
3 to 5 hrs a week with Jake.

CoachingMastery
09-25-2011, 06:51 AM
1. Have someone qualified evaluate your game
2. Start working ten times harder on the elements of your game you are lacking and ten times harder on what you are already good at.
3. Start playing every tournament you can. Start with tournaments in your area, travel to more competitive parts of the US to play tournaments.
4. Evaluate how you rate with others in your age group. Understand what is keeping you from winning.
5. Work ten times harder than you have before on every part of your game.
6. Study what the pros do. Identify how they practice, how the perform, how they keep their head in matches. (Usually a result of HOW they practice...but can be many other things too.)

Remember, there are no guarantees. However, you will NEVER make it if you don't set goals, determine how those goals will be met, and dedicate as much time as possible reading books, watching pros from video clips and television, analyze their game, understand everything about the sport you possibly can.

Here is the formula that will give you the best chance of success:

Drive
Dedication
Desire
Discipline
Determination
Sacrifice
Education

Education is the clear understanding of the game and what you are working towards and how to execute every shot under every circumstance as well as knowing what your body is doing, what your racquet is doing, etc.

All the other elements listed will make you pursue the sport completely. (If they are SINCERE.)

And actually, sacrifice is a misnomer: If you are truly sincere in your goal, every opportunity to get better, to get in better shape, to get stronger, to hit 10,000 balls will NEVER feel like a sacrifice...they will be OPPORTUNITIES to you...knowing each moment is bringing you closer to your goal.

Good luck!

dozu
09-25-2011, 07:29 AM
just forget it... it aint gonna happen

hawk eye
09-25-2011, 08:08 AM
If you don't have to work for a living, don't wanna study anymore, can dedicate all you time to training and playing matches and are already 5.0 or above and are <16 years old, give it a try.

gmatheis
09-25-2011, 08:35 AM
This post reeks of troll

Anyone with any chance of going pro would not be here asking what they need to do to make it happen, especially without giving solid evidence of where they stand right now ... i.e. age, tournament results etc.

TennisCoachFLA
09-25-2011, 10:47 AM
"My coach says i hit the ball brilliantly but have "head deficiencies""

Thats a classic, I am going to use that sometime this week with a student!

nextbigbigthing1
09-28-2011, 12:55 AM

Thats a classic, I am going to use that sometime this week with a student!"

Yeah i have made national qfs etc , i can play as good as anyone but am mentally weak.

nextbigbigthing1
09-28-2011, 12:56 AM
This post reeks of troll

Anyone with any chance of going pro would not be here asking what they need to do to make it happen, especially without giving solid evidence of where they stand right now ... i.e. age, tournament results etc.

I was sponsored by Prince, have won numerous titles etc.

nextbigbigthing1
09-28-2011, 12:57 AM
1. Have someone qualified evaluate your game
2. Start working ten times harder on the elements of your game you are lacking and ten times harder on what you are already good at.
3. Start playing every tournament you can. Start with tournaments in your area, travel to more competitive parts of the US to play tournaments.
4. Evaluate how you rate with others in your age group. Understand what is keeping you from winning.
5. Work ten times harder than you have before on every part of your game.
6. Study what the pros do. Identify how they practice, how the perform, how they keep their head in matches. (Usually a result of HOW they practice...but can be many other things too.)

Remember, there are no guarantees. However, you will NEVER make it if you don't set goals, determine how those goals will be met, and dedicate as much time as possible reading books, watching pros from video clips and television, analyze their game, understand everything about the sport you possibly can.

Here is the formula that will give you the best chance of success:

Drive
Dedication
Desire
Discipline
Determination
Sacrifice
Education

Education is the clear understanding of the game and what you are working towards and how to execute every shot under every circumstance as well as knowing what your body is doing, what your racquet is doing, etc.

All the other elements listed will make you pursue the sport completely. (If they are SINCERE.)

And actually, sacrifice is a misnomer: If you are truly sincere in your goal, every opportunity to get better, to get in better shape, to get stronger, to hit 10,000 balls will NEVER feel like a sacrifice...they will be OPPORTUNITIES to you...knowing each moment is bringing you closer to your goal.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice, effort and time you put into this post.
I know ill be pro one day , and ill thank you for helping me on my journey, thanks.

halalula1234
09-28-2011, 07:04 AM
alll of ze time!!

TheIrrefutableOne
09-28-2011, 08:07 AM

Yeah i have made national qfs etc , i can play as good as anyone but am mentally weak.

your name ?

Limpinhitter
09-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks

A touring pro?

(1) 10 years of complete single minded devotion to every aspect of the game, at the sacrifice of every other aspect of your life, and
(2) World class coaching, and
(3) World class competition to hone your match play capabilities.

TennisCoachFLA
09-28-2011, 08:23 AM
A touring pro?

(1) 10 years of complete single minded devotion to every aspect of the game, at the sacrifice of every other aspect of your life, and
(2) World class coaching, and
(3) World class competition to hone your match play capabilities.

(4) Stay injury free
(5) Have sponsors or family willing to foot the $50,000/year needed to get to the money making level.
(6) Be better than the other 10000 guys around the world with the same exact dream and work ethic.

Limpinhitter
09-28-2011, 08:25 AM

I don't accept the premise of being mentally weak. The only thing you have to do is focus exclusively on executing your shots, one shot at a time, and on executing your game plan, one point at a time, forget about past shots and points and don't think about future shots and points. It's not as easy as it sounds, but, it's not that hard either. It takes self discipline and the willingness to admit that no one is perfect at it (except Borg and Evert), and that it is an ongoing effort that you have to remind yourself of before and during matches.

Limpinhitter
09-28-2011, 08:26 AM
(4) Stay injury free
(5) Have sponsors or family willing to foot the $50,000/year needed to get to the money making level.
(6) Be better than the other 10000 guys around the world with the same exact dream and work ethic.

All of that was implied! 8)

shazbot
09-28-2011, 08:40 AM
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/065/813/original/troll_thread..png?1281919023

sureshs
09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks

Lots of posters here have severe head deficiencies

mightyrick
09-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks

All you need to do is invest 10,000 hours of deep practice and you'll become a pro.

LuckyR
09-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks

How old are you and what is your approximate National ranking?

Fuji
09-28-2011, 04:48 PM
3 to 5 hrs a week with Jake.

LOL!!!!!

Pretty much everything these other guys said. Give up any social life you may have, dedicate it to tennis. Get better, and avoid injuries. Also make sure your parents are loaded! :D

-Fuji

asifallasleep
10-07-2011, 08:56 AM
"Yeah, i've won a bunch of tournaments and am sponsored by Prince, and the place I go to take my game to the next level?, you guessed it, The Tennis Warehouse Forum!!! Coach told me he has taken me as far as he can and that the place to really really take it to the next level, The Tennis Warehouse Forum!!!!"

This ad brought to you by the Tennis Warehouse Forum, where careers are taken to the next level!!!!! And now back to our show.

Pet
10-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Put a video, ane we judge

nextbigbigthing1
10-21-2011, 02:45 AM

Thats a classic, I am going to use that sometime this week with a student!

Howd that go

nextbigbigthing1
10-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Top 10 for 16s nationally

nextbigbigthing1
10-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Top 10 nationally , for all the doubters. !!!!

arche3
10-21-2011, 05:32 AM
Top 10 nationally , for all the doubters. !!!!

I believe!

tennis_balla
10-21-2011, 06:39 AM
A video of yourself playing would be good to post.

Power Player
10-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Post video.

Play match with Jake Mcclain to prove worthiness.

dParis
10-21-2011, 07:24 AM
I was sponsored by Prince, have won numerous titles etc.
You were sponsored by Prince? What happened? What tournaments have you won?

EDIT: Just read the second page. I see you have addressed some of this.

I'm not trying to discourage you from your goals, but I think people on the forum would like a little more information to better determine if this is a case of managing your expectations rather than giving you pointers on how to go about becoming a professional tennis player. If it is the latter that needs to be addressed, I think you'll be limited to the relevant information you can get on this forum. I know I've got nothing for you, but I can suggest you go and ask your question in any Volkl thread in the Racquets forum and have the user, Tennis Maverick belittle you. He'll definitely test your mental toughness and he may have some good advice for you as well.:)

Good luck.

Venetian
10-21-2011, 08:38 AM
You have to train over 9,000.

yonexpurestorm
10-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Post video.

Play match with Jake Mcclain to prove worthiness.

hahahaha. nobody can beat that guy, not even DY.

arche3
10-21-2011, 10:24 AM
hahahaha. nobody can beat that guy, not even DY.

I think Jake gave up tennis because he was too good. Not enough of a challenge.

Povl Carstensen
10-22-2011, 05:10 AM
Lots of posters here have severe head deficiencies
You said it.

JoelDali
10-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Path to Glory

---Accept the Eagle
---Shun breasts and the temptations of young supple fun bags which cloud the minds of men unless you have the innate anti breastial power of Tipsy
---Stay away from the lure of Cortex Crystals which almoast destroid Agassi
---Watch the Borg/Lendl FO final over and over again, I can send you copy
---Eat Cookie Crisp cereal with 2 skoops of suge-ur twice a day
---Make love to old Donnay Borg Pros off ****, caress them, touch them daily
---Get 10-20 rolls of lead tape and show them to your opponent before each match casually and not brazenly
---inject your mortal coil with 2 grams of BLX Crystals every Sunday morning and sing the blessings of the Eagle as the sun rises on the dawn of man
---if you must eat junqe fude go for the filet o' fish and not burgeurs
---wear girlish panties to all ATP dinner parties - only you know you have them on while all others in the room think you are strong man's man with real undies on underneath but you are comfortable with your feminine sexi personal time
---read the works of Ralph Waldo Emerson and digest his teachings thoroughly
---throw your cell phone in the ocean and communicate using pay fones or your very own mouth
---do not eat pickles
---do not bathe in public places with other men
---stay hungry
---watch U2 Rattle and Hum, the Elvis segment and song following

ollinger
10-22-2011, 07:36 AM
The bad news: beyond a certain level in this game, it's the "head deficiencies" that make all the difference.

jdubbs
10-24-2011, 01:23 PM
A real pro wouldn't ask a bunch of 3.5's how hard he needs to train.

NEXT

Power Player
10-24-2011, 01:51 PM
I just had a quality DaliLOL from #37.

JRstriker12
10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
"Yeah, i've won a bunch of tournaments and am sponsored by Prince, and the place I go to take my game to the next level?, you guessed it, The Tennis Warehouse Forum!!! Coach told me he has taken me as far as he can and that the place to really really take it to the next level, The Tennis Warehouse Forum!!!!"

This ad brought to you by the Tennis Warehouse Forum, where careers are taken to the next level!!!!! And now back to our show.

LOL! Quoted for truth.

pushing_wins
10-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks

u mean a teaching pro? aka tennis babysitter

a lot of go pro threads lately, is it from the same person, i wonder

darthfedererr
10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
coming from a guy who posts this thread a few below:

"what is this straight and bent arm forehand stuff?

What are these concepts,
I meant you cant have a straight arm at contact cause elbow will always be bent as your hitting your fh to your rh side but a bit infront obviously for power.
So does straight mean from elbow to fingers? i assume?

PLease exlplain and provide examples , thanks>>>"

Yeah future professional right there

b.termite
10-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Top 10 for 16s nationally

If you're being serious.. I highly doubt that, if you really were you would have just said your name.

Xizel
10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
If you're being serious.. I highly doubt that, if you really were you would have just said your name.

His nation isn't too big and not too into tennis. :twisted: