PDA

View Full Version : Some groundies, enjoy

Failed
09-25-2011, 12:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yn-aGHTcEU

BaboFan
09-25-2011, 12:34 PM
You are good but your strokes look very awkward. But results matter most since you hit the ball solid

Failed
09-25-2011, 01:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crJ4ANlargY Opposite side now

Giannis
09-25-2011, 01:39 PM
You look high enough level to try hitting forehands without frozen wrist. Have you tried it?

Failed
09-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Frozen = Laid back?

Giannis
09-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Yes, but right from the beginning of the backswing.

arche3
09-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Your fh and bh both look a bit awkward. You look like a good player though. I would fix the issues perhaps with a pro and proceed from there. Currently the groundstrokes might hinder your developement. I do like your bh better though. It looks more fundamentally sound. Although I still see a slight hitch or something in it. I would like to see your groundstrokes under pressure and on the run against a quality opponent where you are forced.

Its also hard to see what is happening stroke wise if you guys can't keep the ball in play more than 4 or 5 balls.

canuckfan
09-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Forehand has good power, but backswing looks a little too large; might lead to problems when you face someone who can challenge you. I like the backhand, solid with depth and spin, able to flatten it out, and a good driving slice.

Footwork and movement on wide balls is questionable, but sometimes that can happen when your opponent is no threat.

ski racer
09-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Nice Strokes, but a little tight.

Try this out on both sides especially on the bottom hand of the backhand:

http://www.jeffsalzensteintennis.com/relaxation-method/

Failed
09-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Your fh and bh both look a bit awkward. You look like a good player though. I would fix the issues perhaps with a pro and proceed from there. Currently the groundstrokes might hinder your developement. I do like your bh better though. It looks more fundamentally sound. Although I still see a slight hitch or something in it. I would like to see your groundstrokes under pressure and on the run against a quality opponent where you are forced.

Its also hard to see what is happening stroke wise if you guys can't keep the ball in play more than 4 or 5 balls.

:P Sorry, we two are currently on entirely different levels. I am currently halfway in B-class(moving up towards A) and his still in D-class. Thats why the rallies don't really last that long. I'm mostly a defensive/counter puncher type of player, which you don't see here because I am not really being pushed. I just like to hit with that other guy once in a while because he is enthusiastic about tennis :)

arche3
09-26-2011, 03:24 AM
Yeah it is obvious he can't hit the ball back if you add even a bit more effort pace and spin to your shots. You are obviously much better than he is so maybe ease up and hit the ball straight to him and video it and then we can at least see you hit more balls in a rally.
That will also allow him to move you around the court with you always hitting right down the middle nice and easy to him. Then we can see your movement as well.

:P Sorry, we two are currently on entirely different levels. I am currently halfway in B-class(moving up towards A) and his still in D-class. Thats why the rallies don't really last that long. I'm mostly a defensive/counter puncher type of player, which you don't see here because I am not really being pushed. I just like to hit with that other guy once in a while because he is enthusiastic about tennis :)

LeeD
09-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Notice I didn't comment before...
I think your strokes are fine. You partner is not giving you anything consistent to hit, so rythum is hard to find. Too many moonballs for consistentcy, then once in a while, a real groundie.
Would be nice to see you hitting with an equal 4.5 -5 level player.

TennisCJC
09-26-2011, 07:01 PM
I think I see a way you can significantly improve your strokes. Your forehand backswing is ENORMOUS. Go to youtube and watch Federer and Agassi forehands. Almost always, you can see their racket head beside their body from the opposing baseline. In other words, rarely does their racket head go all the way behind the body, and it pretty much never goes so are back that you can see it sticking out behind their body.

Also, watch their hitting hand. The racket head starts a bit up and loops back and down and then foreward. BUT THE HAND DOES NOT MOVE MUCH AT ALL - very compact.

On your forehand, your racket is dangling way back. Your opponent will see it disappear behind your body and then POP OUT the other side behind your back.

Let's say the distance from almost behind your body to the point where is sticks out the other side is 3 feet - that's how far the racket head has to go. And, then it has to recover the 3 feet to be back where it started. So, in summary YOUR RACKET HEAD IS MOVING 6 FEET MORE THAN FEDERER AND AGASSI.

You can hit the ball just as hard (like FED and AGASSI) without all this extra movement and your timing will be simplier and it will be much better to handle pace with the smaller backswing. Also, it is much better to hit on the run with a smaller loop.

Try to shorten your loop for a better forehand.

The same thing applies to your backhand but it is not as severe as your forehand. You can also shorten the backhand backswing a bit.

Your strokes are very solid but I think if you shorten them, they will improve.

SoBad
09-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Looks good, you are light on your feet, built for tennis, good strokes. Looks like your hitting partner is weaker and a bit lazy too. You just need tons of court time hitting with better partners and you can be really good I think.

Giannis
09-27-2011, 04:07 AM
I think I see a way you can significantly improve your strokes. Your forehand backswing is ENORMOUS. Go to youtube and watch Federer and Agassi forehands. Almost always, you can see their racket head beside their body from the opposing baseline. In other words, rarely does their racket head go all the way behind the body, and it pretty much never goes so are back that you can see it sticking out behind their body.

Also, watch their hitting hand. The racket head starts a bit up and loops back and down and then foreward. BUT THE HAND DOES NOT MOVE MUCH AT ALL - very compact.

On your forehand, your racket is dangling way back. Your opponent will see it disappear behind your body and then POP OUT the other side behind your back.

Let's say the distance from almost behind your body to the point where is sticks out the other side is 3 feet - that's how far the racket head has to go. And, then it has to recover the 3 feet to be back where it started. So, in summary YOUR RACKET HEAD IS MOVING 6 FEET MORE THAN FEDERER AND AGASSI.

You can hit the ball just as hard (like FED and AGASSI) without all this extra movement and your timing will be simplier and it will be much better to handle pace with the smaller backswing. Also, it is much better to hit on the run with a smaller loop.

Try to shorten your loop for a better forehand.

The same thing applies to your backhand but it is not as severe as your forehand. You can also shorten the backhand backswing a bit.

Your strokes are very solid but I think if you shorten them, they will improve.

I think he has a long backswing to compensate for the loss of power caused by keeping the wrist fixed in laid back position right from the beginning of the backswing.

TennisCJC
09-27-2011, 07:14 AM
I think he has a long backswing to compensate for the loss of power caused by keeping the wrist fixed in laid back position right from the beginning of the backswing.

Disagree. As long as grip is relaxed, it doesn't matter if it is laid back early in prep. If grip is tight, it slows swing speed and could result in loss of power.

I think it may be better to prep with racket head up above hand and then go into continuous loop from there. Rather than laying racket head way behind body. If the head is up, the back, down, thru motion will result in a nice loop that generates plenty of racket head speed without laying the head back behind the body so much.

Failed
09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I think the long backswing is because of the fact that I grew up playing on clay courts. It was a way of me finding a rythym vs. non-paced balls. I've played versus some players that play D1 in the states and I do notice that sometimes I am late on my forehand side. :) I'll be making an application video of my own in the coming month.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Dude!! You got HUGE swings! Did you grow up playing a lot on clay? Really slow HC? With the surfaces im playing on in Sweden this would never work. Anyaway, nice video! Good luck with your game!

Failed
09-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah, really slow clay courts :( Anyway, I'll put up a new video when playing versus some A-player in the near future.