PDA

View Full Version : how to get past a thrashing

achokshi99
09-25-2011, 02:06 PM
I recently had a serious reality check, got destroyed 6-2, 6-1 yesterday in an adult statewide league. I played d2 college, took 10 years off, and got back into it 2 years ago and have been getting my groove back and doing ok. Losing some matches here and there largely due to mental lapses versus being outplayed but yesterday I played a guy that just ate up my game. I took some notes after the match because I did have some tactics I could execute on in the future but my main issue is I'm eating up inside about this performance.

What is worse is that this was a regional tourny in my state and now the state wide tourny is this weekend. How do most of you generally bounce back mentally to get in the right zone to play matches following a total demolition?

LeeD
09-26-2011, 09:05 AM
First of all, you've played enough competitive tennis to know that you have ups and downs, and so does the opposition. I doesn't matter what the score was last time, as it will be different the next time you play....him or anyone else.
Easily, we can trounce our partners 6-1, then lose a set to them the same score. That is tennis.
Sure, we're judge ...by other's..on our worst days. But YOU know, you have some good days, some great days, and some horrid days. That's just the way it is, you can play your best every time, and neither can your opponent.

maggmaster
09-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Besides, 2 and 1 is not that bad if the games were close. Better than 0 and 0 right?

thug the bunny
09-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Just look at it as having gotten your *****ty match out of the way. Also, if you had any particular shot types that were not working, well, get to work!

jdubbs
09-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Train as hard as you can. Stay with your game, it will get better. Short term there's not a lot of improvement you can make. Long term, work on your game with top flight instructors until you are confident you can beat anyone.

dennis10is
09-26-2011, 04:07 PM
I recently had a serious reality check, got destroyed 6-2, 6-1 yesterday in an adult statewide league. I played d2 college, took 10 years off, and got back into it 2 years ago and have been getting my groove back and doing ok. Losing some matches here and there largely due to mental lapses versus being outplayed but yesterday I played a guy that just ate up my game. I took some notes after the match because I did have some tactics I could execute on in the future but my main issue is I'm eating up inside about this performance.

What is worse is that this was a regional tourny in my state and now the state wide tourny is this weekend. How do most of you generally bounce back mentally to get in the right zone to play matches following a total demolition?
You've lost 2 -1 before right? How did you deal with it back then?
You're 10 years older, I would assume that you've matured so this should be easier.

09-26-2011, 05:24 PM
best way to get over one is to go give out one or two.

You are as good as your last match, lol.

fuzz nation
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
You honestly sound fine to me.

After that match, you took some notes. That tells me that you're still aware enough to learn from a tough loss instead of simply wanting to freak out and quit the game. You're still very much engaged.

I'm also encouraged to hear you say how your play is "eating you up inside". My brother, you sound hungry to get after it. You got thumped and it's not okay. I've been there. I got my clock cleaned in a doubles tourney with a buddy of mine several years ago and your description of how you're feeling after that match is painfully familiar.

This experience might just be the kick in the backside that you need to get serious about your game and your fitness. None of us are getting any younger and even if some of your best tennis days are behind you, a little fire in the belly is always useful for digging in and making a stronger effort to notch a couple more high points in your "career".

As for the upcoming weekend, I think that one of the healthiest things that most any tennis player can do is take an inventory of their own expectations. Write them down on paper and think them over with at least one foot grounded in reality, just to make sure that you're not setting yourself up for a steady dose of disappointment on the courts. If you understand why you're out there and what you want from your tennis, you're bound to be much more of a happy camper, win or lose.

By the way, I caught some of these handy nuggets of wisdom from Vic Braden's book, Mental Tennis, and I recommend it to folks here all the time.

TonyB
09-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Best advice I've ever heard:

Your judgment of yourself should be GOAL-ORIENTED, not results-oriented. Set performance goals for yourself before the match. How well you manage points, how well you move, how well you strike the ball, how well you focus, how well you serve, etc.

Try to avoid end-result goals like "I need to win." Obviously, you're still on the comeback trail, so why be so concerned about losing one match? Maybe your opponent was just on fire and there was nothing you could do anyway?

Focus on goals, not results. You'll be much happier and your performance will improve much faster. Good results will follow.

SeriousSummer
09-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Get divorced. Get fired. Have some people you love die. Maybe go bankrupt; have your business fail; get disbarred; go to jail; get cancer--in general put up with all the crap life will give to you sooner or later.

After experiencing a few of those things, getting thrashed in a tennis match won't bother you for long.