PDA

View Full Version : Can't hit flat ad court and serves go in the middle unintentionally on AD

Unpunpai
09-25-2011, 06:35 PM
I've started practicing my serves and I'm used to serving on the deuce court, since in my past I've always practiced on deuce. I'm a righty and I read that the AD court is the more natural for a righty, but for me its the opposite. I spent around 2 hours practicing my serves today and can't seem to get it down. I keep my feet parallel to the baseline on the AD court. I know I can practice this and eventually get it down, but it'll be much better and faster if I ask for advice. ONE thing I've noticed is that when I rotate into the ball for a flat serve on the AD court, I rotate the same as I would on the deuce court. I think this makes me hit a flat serve accidentally into the AD court to the Deuce court. Does the rotation differ on the AD and deuce court? If I try to hit any type of serves, they tend to go down the line when I'm trying to aim out-wide.

fuzz nation
09-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Impossible to know what's happening without seeing you hit your serve, but I'm wondering what's going on with your feet when you say that you keep them parallel to the baseline when serving to the ad court. Are they in the same position relative to the baseline when serving to the deuce court? If so, that's not so good - you're aligning yourself to the lines on the court instead of to your target.

Make sure you have the same set position relative to your target at address. This may mean that your foot positioning is rotated maybe 15-20 degrees to your right so that you're more closed when setup for your ad serve than your deuce serve. Since your ad court target is over on the right half of the court, you need to turn yourself more to the right at address to be naturally set to hit toward that target.

Unpunpai
09-26-2011, 07:38 AM
My serve stance is exactly like this. The first slide of the photo.

http://www.yocto-tennis-club.com/images/andyserve.jpg

So I should be more closed and rotate more to the right than I would on the deuce court? How can I stay more "closed"?

Unpunpai
09-26-2011, 07:39 AM
My serve stance is exactly like this. The first slide of the photo.

http://www.yocto-tennis-club.com/images/andyserve.jpg

So I should be more closed and rotate more to the right than I would on the deuce court? How can I stay more "closed"?

I don't use a pinpoint stance I use a platform