PDA

View Full Version : How can I focus

dozu
09-26-2011, 09:28 AM
had a good hit yesterday morning, but lots of distractions.

half hour into the hit, 2 house wives showed up on the next court, one of them keeps going on and on about how she usually doesn't use a male masseuse, but how great this masseuse 'Dan' is and she really loves him... then, although she serves frying pan, she started bragging about how many aces she fired in her previous league match.

so I had to try real hard to regain focus, until my golf buddy showed up (a retired guy who usually takes a walk around the neighborhood), and he stood at the net post and started trash talking on how he ate my lunch in golf, then continued on how this country is going down the wrong direction, and how great America was back in the old days.

It's hard to maintain focus on the public courts.

TennisCoachFLA
09-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Ha, you just described what happened to us yesterday. We stopped by some public courts as we were visiting folks and wanted to get a practice in.

The next court had 2 ladies on it just cackling about everything. On the other side 2 old timers talking politics. No matter how much we tried to get in our groove I could not help hearing both their conversations in my head.

sureshs
09-26-2011, 09:46 AM
And the winner is:

Dan

arche3
09-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Two words.....

"Country Club"

thug the bunny
09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Ha ha, we have 4 guys playing doubles regularly, and there's a big Russian (judging by his accent) dude that ceaselessly give a play-by-play account in a very loud voice: "...you had the whole ad side to hit to...I should have gone down the line...etc"

But by far I hit the worst when there's hotties on the court. Try to hit waaaaay too hard, focus too much on twirling my racquet to look cool, and other jack***** things like that.

sureshs
09-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Ha ha, we have 4 guys playing doubles regularly, and there's a big Russian (judging by his accent) dude that ceaselessly give a play-by-play account in a very loud voice: "...you had the whole ad side to hit to...I should have gone down the line...etc"

But by far I hit the worst when there's hotties on the court. Try to hit waaaaay too hard, focus too much on twirling my racquet to look cool, and other jack***** things like that.

I would just look closely at 3 balls and push a bad one towards the fence after selecting the two best ones.

Also try bouncing the ball between the legs.

thug the bunny
09-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Are you talking about the Isner serve bounce? Yeah, I gotta try that one. I'll really look cool when it hits me in the crotch and I try to recover bouncing it with my racquet but it hits my foot and goes skidding off into another court..

SystemicAnomaly
09-26-2011, 01:02 PM
In a loud voice say, "la-la-la-la-la-la, I can't hear you, I can't hear you, la-la-la-la-la-la". Not only will you drown out the distracting conversations, you'll get into the heads of the offenders. Another option is to focus on your own breathing, the seams of the balls or try the HIT-BOUNCE-HIT routine.

sureshs
09-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Are you talking about the Isner serve bounce? Yeah, I gotta try that one. I'll really look cool when it hits me in the crotch and I try to recover bouncing it with my racquet but it hits my foot and goes skidding off into another court..

I am talking about the Isner bounce.

OK, then at least make gestures to imaginary ballpersons to get you a towel (standard gesture is palm waved in front of the face).

Racquet twirling is the absolute minimum. Adjusting the strings is the next level. Unnecessary useless flourish after strokes is also good.

Throwing the towel behind as you walk away after changeover is also cool. And remember no emotions when you win. It is like it is no big deal for me.

rufusbgood
09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
had a good hit yesterday morning, but lots of distractions.

half hour into the hit, 2 house wives showed up on the next court, one of them keeps going on and on about how she usually doesn't use a male masseuse, but how great this masseuse 'Dan' is and she really loves him... then, although she serves frying pan, she started bragging about how many aces she fired in her previous league match.

so I had to try real hard to regain focus, until my golf buddy showed up (a retired guy who usually takes a walk around the neighborhood), and he stood at the net post and started trash talking on how he ate my lunch in golf, then continued on how this country is going down the wrong direction, and how great America was back in the old days.

It's hard to maintain focus on the public courts.

The courts that I play at are less than 100 ft away from a racing track where the volunteer fire depts do time trials. Picture a supercharged jeep with no muffler. The driver has to pop the clutch on a racing engine and burn rubber halfway down the track. Then he has to come to a screeching halt beside a hydrant allowing a guy riding shotgun to dismount with one end of a hose. Then the jeep roars off to discharge another guy with the business end of the hose who has to climb a ladder with it. They do this over an over. The engines are loud enough that people who live 1-1/2 miles away tell me they can hear it. On a steamy summer night with the air full of exhaust and burning rubber and the sound of roaring engines and screeching tires we are trying to play tennis. Additionally, every 30 seconds another low flying jet goes over on its way to JFK using the park lights as a beacon. And these are the quiet nights when there isn't a football game.

LeeD
09-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Certainly I"m one of the least focused tennis players around, so playing at my local RoseGarden courts on weekends, I"m walkabouting watching the girls (alluded to on post 5) at all the weddings that occur here, right at midday, all wearing their nighttime getout clothes, all with heels and the whole shebang, some checking out the guys playing tennis. Well, maybe not ME particularly, I'm the ugly one with "homeless" stamped on my forehead and wearing NO tennis clothing besides tennis shoes.
Weekdays, I can focus entirely on the squirrels running along the 17' high chainlink fence that surrounds each court.

bageler
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Well, here is what I do, as usual it won't wotk for everybody; and, this isn't mine I heard it somewhere before but don't remember where. Once I start my serve motion, the bounce for me, I repeat in my head when the ball hits the court "Only the ball", I will do this though-out the point if needed. But as thug stated if there are hotties on the courts your done, even at my age.

Andreas1965
09-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Go play somewhere near my place.
Never seen a hottie on the courts :-(
Only ladies with gigantic racquets and even more gigantic dimples on their legs.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.132383,-80.105569

joesucks
09-27-2011, 11:19 AM
If this is so hard ... imagine a pro and all the illiterates who are advising him on what to do on the next point ... when they are playing a pro match.
Since only recently I had watched an ATP event it is amazing how many people tell a pro to hit wide or DTL and how they should execute it vicariously.

r2473
09-27-2011, 11:36 AM
If this is so hard ... imagine a pro and all the illiterates who are advising him on what to do on the next point ... when they are playing a pro match.
Since only recently I had watched an ATP event it is amazing how many people tell a pro to hit wide or DTL and how they should execute it vicariously.

And those arrogant b*stards don't even take my advice. That's why they lose.

thug the bunny
09-27-2011, 12:30 PM
R...twenty four, seventy three....HIKE! Sorry had to do that..

r2473, you are one seriously funny dude.